Passport at Raleigh.

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by catton01, Jan 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys, i know that i need to take a valid passport with me to Raleigh.

However, does it need to be valid for the duration of training? As mine runs out a month after i start.

Just thought i would check before spending the cash on a new one.

Cheers Catton.
  2. Id get it renewed, youll most likely need your passport to be in date once youve passed out of phase 2 and are drafted to your firs ship/sub, so sooner rather than later would be a good idea.
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The rules simply state that you must be in possesion of a valid passport as a condition of entry into Naval Service.

If it expires the day after you join, the wording of the rule implies that you meet the requirement.

Passports that expire 'in-service' are renewed at service expense so far as I'm aware.

Not so long ago the service used to pay for a passport if you didn't have one when you joined.
  4. Cheers for the replies, just wasnt sure that i would get one paid for whilst in Basic.
  5. Ninja's correct, you will be entitled to renew passport at crown expense.

You may have to watch the timing though, as IB08 said, you may need your new passport fairly swiftly on completion of Phase 2. The Navy won't actually provide you with a new one, you'll have to organise (ie apply and pay for) it yourself and claim back on JPA. You won't actually have access to JPA until you complete Phase 1 which adds to the hurry you may have, but so long as you get your shit together shouldn't be a problem.

Edit: also be aware that you may only claim back the standard fee (£70 odd I think) - any extra cost to 'fast-track' may not be claimed.
  6. Well im going in as an AET which has a long phase 2 so i dont know whethere there is any travel at that stage?

I might just renew it anyway and save myself what could potentially be a right faff on.
  7. I have this problem also. My passport runs out august 2010, if goes to plan i should of just finished phase 2. Would this be ok? As phase 1 is soon and could send of for a new one, but they take can take upto 6 weeks to come.

8. As an AET you'll probably be OK to be honest, but that's your call really. A minor gamble, and if it goes tits you'll just get a bollocking and may have to cough up for a fast-track passport. It won't affect your acceptance at Raleigh though.

9. Fcuk it better safe than sorry, i guess since im not on the juice up untill Raleigh i can afford it :p
  10. Chico, as just stated, so long as you organise yourself you should have no problem sorting out a new passport after you join.

You MUST have an in-date passport on entry, so long as you meet that requirement your acceptance at Raleigh will not be prejudiced. After that, be aware of when you need a new one and get it sorted, you can then claim back the cost through JPA.

Not sure why I'm being so helpful tonight. Must be a particularly good bottle of wine.
  11. Yeah, right. We're off on the piss and you know, cock chops :p
  12. Think the rules have changed (been tightened) with regard to claiming back passports. Pusser penny pinching.

I'm sure I heard you can only claim back now if you need for your current draft, ie. On a seagoing unit, op tour or a foreign.

If you are in a non-seagoing draft and are not expect to be deployed, then you have to pay for it yourself.

I can't remember the number of the JSP it's stated in, but I'm sure it's the movements one.
  13. Well apart from that!
  14. Thanks.
  15. You should always try to make sure you get a new passport 6 months before the old one runs out because many countries require as a condition of entry, that you have 6 months remaining. A friend of mine was recently refused entry to Austria because he only had five and a half months left on his British passport. He is half Austrian. Bummer.

I would apply for the new one as soon as you get to Raleigh and then claim it back as soon as you have access to JPA. You don't need to have JPA access when you apply for it (which can take ages).
  16. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Yep, it's in JSP 800, volume 2, Chapter 17.

However the period of validity required upon joining is not laid down.
  17. Just as a point of note, as your phase 2 is quite lengthy for AET, the chances of you wanting to go on holiday during your leave that you will get is probably quite high. If you renew your passport itll be valid for ten more years, so you wont have to worry about not being able to go on a holiday because youve forgotten to renew your passport (easily done). Itll be very difficult to renew it while youre at Raleigh and even possibily phase 2.
  18. Get the forms, fill them in now, post them from Raleigh when you get there.
  19. I got mine renewed at crown expence whilst at Wittering, seems the UPO has a deal with the Passport Office in peterborough to rush applicationsthrough. That is you are lucky enough to go down the fixed wing route! If you get one sorted before you get to wittering that would be benifical, due to the fact you may have to detach overseas as a trainee on 20(R) "Soon to become 4(R). There again if its Cyprus you may get away with a Nato Travel Order???
  20. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Shouldn't the Newbies be worrying about actually joining up and completing all Basic Training first, before they start worrying about sponging a free passport at Pusser's expense..?! :shock: :?