Passing Out Parade

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by black_spot, Jan 16, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Went down to my son's parade on Friday 15th January and what a great day it was (bloody cold though). The drill was excellent, especially considering the limited amount of times they'd been practicing. My son absolutely detested the first week - he was stunned that he didn't have a room of his own and that the instructors called him by his last name! However, as the weeks progressed he got to like it more and more, especially the physical side. A tip from him - get as fit as you can and then some more before you join.
    As a parent, it made me really proud, not only of my son but the way the Navy has changed him and the way that his instructors worked on him to change some of his ways. Any questions, please feel free to ask.

2. How many people could he invite???

3. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

I'm sure further molding will take place during his first sea draft. :wink:

4. Apparently there were people there with around 8 to 10 guests.

5. The room and last name bit were witty comments (allegedly). He did look into what was expected but it's still a shock, especially with the way kids are today. They tend to lock themselves into their room like it's solitary confinement so to suddenly have to share a room with about 30 other people comes as a bit of a culture shock.

6. Well done to your son, black_spot.
    Many moons ago, I was a drill instructor at Raleigh. Almost every week, (stand fast leave periods), my wife and I would be invited to the Saturday night jollities at the Fleet Club to meet the doting parents of my latest passing out class over a few beers, and I always tried to attend. Listening to parents and loved ones showing their pride and delight at the transformation that had occurred in a few short weeks was absolute magic, and did a great deal towards making our somewhat arduous and repetitive job seem easier.
    In my 3 year stint, I trained over 3000 youngsters, not all of whom were angels, but all now of (Naval) pensionable age, and I still feel a sense of accomplishment in having made a small contribution to their future careers. I have since watched my son, and a grandson, on their army passing out parades, and felt that same feeling of pride.
    Your pride in your son is well earned. May he fourish in all that he does.
    Best wishes,

2BM

7. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Nice one mate, respect!!!!!

8. Thanks for your comments Mango and Witsend, much appreciated.

9. I've really enjoyed reading this tread, especially to see if from an instructors perspective. Thanks :D

10. What was the buffet like? :D

11. Black_spot congratulations to you and of course your son, I can only imagine how proud you must of felt at his passing out parade!
    My son aged 17 has got his interview next week (weapons engineer - submariner) if he passes his interview we think his start date for Raleigh may fall May/June time .... sat his RT in October last year.
    I think my son will have the same culture shock as yours if he gets there... he is a bright, polite, level headed well liked young man and a tad on the shy side until you get to know him!
    As a Mum i have got to say i would worry about the ironing (he has never shown an interest in it) and keeping things ship shape (ie bomb site bedroom).
    2Badge_Mango :) nice to read what you had to say.

12. Oh, I wouldn't worry about him learning to iron and tidy up - his Phase 1 instructors will sort that out. :wink:

13. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

His first sea draft will sort out the polite and level headed bit :wink: :wink:

14. Abso;utely brilliant, I couldn't fault them.

15. Bloody horrible.

16. If thats the case, I'm joining the Army then 8)

17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Sorted.

18. You always appear at the wrong times. 8O

19. Black_Spot: Well done to your lad. It's amazing what reading a few books and the occasional kick *********** will achieve...best of luck...

It could've been worse. He could have trained at Ganges.....lol..

20. My missus and parents were wondering what happens after the passing out parade am I permited leave or do I have to stay on base that night