Passed PJFT today

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Ben_C, Jul 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What an absolute bastard running on a treadmill is.

Passed with 11:33. My god it is hot in those Gym's, no air in my face, nothing to look at, spotlights on you, just crappy music.

Oh well..

Whats next then? Guy said he would send off my paperwork and gave me a copy. Do I just sit back and wait now?

2. Well done Mate , dont know what the routine is now , been outside to long , sure someone will jump in & let you know the answer though , best of luck :thumright:

3. Grats matey!

Agreed! You had it better though - I had no music at all, I'd rather have had crappy music than no music.

You've just gotta wait now, you'll receive a phone call when you have a start date and then get sent a letter confirming it.

You doing/done HMS Caledonia?

4. No idea matey..

I haven't been told where I go from here.

Aso got told by the fitness instructor that faster the run time the quicker I get in.. Alright, logical.. But I did it under the time without day in day out training which means that I will be able to build fitness in 9 weeks pretty easily? Thus not logical..

We'll see.

Again, cheers!

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Technically the fitness instructor was right because if you took over 12 mins 20secs, you'd put your next PJFT back by eight weeks & your entry date likewise.

As soon as the AFCO receive the copy of your certificate & providing all your documentation has been submitted correctly without anything missing, they will bid for a provisional allocated entry date.

Allocations generally work similar to school terms, working 1 term ahead,so up until the beginning of August they'll be allocating entry dates up to December 2007. If you don't get told of an entry date before August, then it'll most likely be between January to April & so on. If you happen to know the waiting time for a particular trade, is say 12 months, you'll usually get a precise date about 3-4 months before you're due to join.

Some branches which are termed as shortage categories, often allow much shorter notice entry dates. This is often the case on many submarine trades.

To ensure you get the earliest possible entry dates, I have created my very own check-off list which should make sure you do not get "overtaken" by people after the same job, who start the selection process after you:

TO ENSURE YOU GET THE EARLIEST POSSIBLE ENTRY DATE YOU MUST:

Ú¤ FULLY complete & return all application forms- Check you've supplied Full postal addresses of nominated referees. Don't miss anything out, the information is required for a reason. This is the AFCO's first impression of you.

Ú¤ Pass Recruiting Test (If you don't practise against the clock beforehand, then you will probably not get the job you want) Make sure you arrive well beforehand with ALL the requested documentation.

Ú¤ Pass Selection Interview (Research the job, dress smart, be punctual)

Ú¤ Return FULLY completed Security Questionnaire- must be BLACK ink, covering a full 5 years of previous addresses of yourself & parents (& partner, if applicable)

Ú¤ Pass eyesight test (Ideally before medical)

Ú¤ Pass Medical (If the service Medical Officer has to write to your civilian doctor for information, chase your Doctor- some of them take weeks & weeks to reply)

Ú¤ Ensure both references are completed & returned by your nominated referees- CHECK.

Ú¤ Pass Pre-Joining Fitness Test

Ú¤ Pass Selection boards (Nurses, Musicians, Divers & Royal Marines) only.

Ú¤ Provide 4 X colour passport photographs.

Ú¤ Return all completed entry documentation upon receipt- do not delay

Ú¤ Possess a valid passport- CHECK - you can't join without one!

The longer an individual delays getting the above check list completed, the longer they wait. Don't expect the AFCO to chase after you like your parents may do, the onus is entirely on the individual.

Here endeth the lesson.

6. Someone that gets 12 mins 10 surely shouldn't have to wait longer than someone who got 9mins, a pass is a pass, right?

I seemed to get my join date fairly soon after passing PJFT, not sure if my trade (CIS) is a shortage though. To be honest I put it to the back of my head and forgot about it, time passes much quicker that way!

Itching to get to Raleigh now though. :laughing8:

After your interview, you should have been given the option to go to the RNAC (HMS Caledonia).

7. Ninja, any idea what the waiting time is for AET? I've been told from 2 months to 5 by different people. 2 months was from my Recruitment officer, 5 was when I 1st enquired about the job.

I also have not been asked for 4 x passport photo's! Should I contact regarding, or is it better to say I haven't spoken to anyone and wait for them to ask me.

Regarding Caledonia [EDIT misread what you said]I was never asked or invited so no. Whether they do ask me now or not, is entirely up to them.

We shall see. They AFCO will/should recieve my results tomorrow along with my NI number, which I put in the envelope on the sly. I should hope they will contact me regarding the next steps, as I would find it bad play not to let a new recruit know whats going on and update them.

Further than that I shall be bashing my head agaist the wall doing 0600-1800 jobs day in day out wishing I had submitted my interest before this stage.. Oh well. Hey ho!

All the best, cheers,

Ben

8. Ninja_Stoker

Correct though the faster PJFT person will probably get on the same bus 3mins & 10 seconds before the slower one if it's parked 2.4Km away from Plymouth station. :thumright:

The waiting times do fluctuate mate, think AET is 5 months at the moment- if you don't get told of an entry date by the end of this month, you'll probably be joining in Jan/Feb 08. You may be lucky & offered a short notice date if a fellow AET decides not to join at the last moment.

If you were given an appointment card after the test, it tells you to take passport photos to your interview. If you weren't you'll be sent a letter (Offer of Service) which will tell you to bring in 4 passport photos. Top tip, write your name on the back of them- I've got a drawer full of nameless piccies!

RNAC - ask your careers adviser if you really want to go on one, it's up to you whether or not you do. It makes no difference to the price of chips with regard your future career, it just gives you an insight.

9. Thanks a lot my friend.

You HAVE been a great help.

Again, thankyou.

Ben

10. Ninja_Stoker

Correction to my last, the latest on AET is about four months- told you it fluctuated!

11. Would he get in any faster if he was an AET volunteer for submarines? :lol:

12. Ninja_Stoker

Not arf, but the problem for woos is that the suntan you get on boats tends to resemble the shape of an eyepiece on a periscope.

13. Looks like the long wait begins then..

Would have loved it if it was this year.