Passed out of Raleigh AMA

mick1199

Lantern Swinger
Glad you saw it through - sounds like out was really tough.

Thanks so much for the detailed write up, really helpful.

My son is due to start basic training in January; do you (or anyone else on here) know how rigidly the weekly pattern is adhered too? I’m wondering what will happen if it gets really cold or even snows?! I guess he’ll just be issued with cold weather gear and told to crack on… which I’m sure he’ll be fine with, it’s just the mum in me worrying!
The general framework of training is pretty rigid so most divisions will have largely the same experience. Sometimes certain things may be changed up a little bit, like days swapped or certain things missed but generally speaking they’ll just go ahead with most things unless the weather is really, really, really bad. I’m pretty sure our DIs said they’d done Dartmoor in the snow before. It could be bitterly cold or searingly hot and they’ll still go ahead with most things unless it’d pose a danger, all they’ll say is “hydrate” or “wrap up warm”. We did phys in rain and wind that everyone assumed was way too much to the point our DIs joked that it’d been cancelled for that day. We still did it, and outside. Basically, I think the weather would have to be abnormally hot or cold for them to cancel certain evolutions, especially important exercises or classes.

Also as much as it is hard I probably felt the homesickness hit harder for me than a lot of other people in my division, there were some of the younger lads who fared a lot better than me so I wouldn’t worry too much. The intial first one or two weeks might be rough but your son will more than likely settle in quickly enough.

legend

Midshipman
Great thread mick1199 as I have a Grandson who is about to take his interview with the RN next month then hopefully progress to the next stage of recruitment .

mick1199

Lantern Swinger
how come you left ? @mick1199
Bottom line…missed home too much. Did plenty of thinking and realised that the only positives I saw in the long term was the money, everything else made me miserable. I didn’t really fit in with any of the lads on my course and to be quite honest I just felt like I was missing out on having a normal life back home, and that’s what makes me happy. I actually hated that there was far too much downtime in phase 2 with nothing to really do other than get pissed every day, and that never appealed to me. I’d never have coped being away at sea either, especially given I was going to be a submariner, I just found it far too difficult.

The day I left my DO said that things are getting tougher and tougher in the fleet and had nothing but bad things to say to the point he reckoned I was better off making a go of it on civvie street. I don’t regret leaving although I do regret joining since I’ve effectively wasted my own time which could have been better spent in an apprenticeship or another job, considering how things have ended. That said, there’s virtually no other opportunity to earn the same skills and qualifications, and earn that type of money elsewhere on civvie street. I’ll probably never earn what I potentially could have in a civilian job but frankly it doesn’t bother me. If you can hack it the Navy though, it’s definitely an excellent career, more so if you don’t have much worth going back home for and you’re single. Don’t let what I’ve said dissuade anyone else from joining, you can’t know until you’ve tried it. I thought I’d last and I didn’t. There’s some lads I thought would be out and are total morons but they’re sticking with it so it’s different shades for different people I guess.

Chris P

War Hero
Don't regret jioning mick, you tried and it wasn't for you so you won't ask yourself in the future 'what if' you now know......from the posts you're put up over time I'm sure you will do well at whatever you decide to do in the future, good luck.
Can't say much for your DO though!!!

mick1199

Lantern Swinger
Don't regret jioning mick, you tried and it wasn't for you so you won't ask yourself in the future 'what if' you now know......from the posts you're put up over time I'm sure you will do well at whatever you decide to do in the future, good luck.
Can't say much for your DO though!!!
Cheers! Much appreciated! As it is I’m closing in on a couple of decent opportunities within the technical/engineering sector so not all is lost, at least some of phase 2 might get put to use. And as you said at least I can say I gave it a crack.

Waspie

War Hero
Cheers! Much appreciated! As it is I’m closing in on a couple of decent opportunities within the technical/engineering sector so not all is lost, at least some of phase 2 might get put to use. And as you said at least I can say I gave it a crack.
My son like you gave it, (pusser), a go. He stuck it for 7 years then realised he had more to offer than the RN could give him. Now, he's a well sort after 'coder' working in the e-commerce side of life. Loves it, absolutely found his niche in life. (And salary).
You have to go where your heart and head tell you. But do it without regrets.
All the best for the future, I'm sure you'll do ok.