Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Passed out of Raleigh. AMA

mick1199

Badgeman
How fit were you going into training and did you struggle at all?
Overall, how tough did you find the whole experience?
How much preparation in regards to strength training would you advise?
I’m due to join in late May so have a decent chunk of time to work on fitness and anything else, I’m not bad at distance running but I’ll admit at struggling to run the 2.4K in 11:09 that you need to hit in week 1 I believe. *Bracing for the ‘I’m 75 and can do that in 8 minutes’ comments*

Alfacharlie

War Hero
I’m due to join in late May so have a decent chunk of time to work on fitness and anything else, I’m not bad at distance running but I’ll admit at struggling to run the 2.4K in 11:09 that you need to hit in week 1 I believe. *Bracing for the ‘I’m 75 and can do that in 8 minutes’ comments*
I’m 75 I can d....

Oh...

I’m due to join in late May so have a decent chunk of time to work on fitness and anything else, I’m not bad at distance running but I’ll admit at struggling to run the 2.4K in 11:09 that you need to hit in week 1 I believe. *Bracing for the ‘I’m 75 and can do that in 8 minutes’ comments
I was running about every 2 or 3 days before training and was getting like 10:20 on my 2.4ks. I really wouldn’t worry too much about the 2.4K test because it’s usually done later on in training and you will be a lot better at running by then. I would recommend doing lots of push ups, burpees and other body weight exercises aswell, as you’ll be doing lots. The whole of training is tough and it takes a good mindset to get through it without problems. I’m 17 so I struggled with pretty much everything at first but after the first couple days you really start to settle in and become more comfortable. The main thing I would recommend though is to learn how to iron and polish shoes. Don’t be like me and think you will just learn it when you get down there. It would honestly make life so much easier if you learned it now because at raleigh, especially the first few week, you’ll get given so many things to do in so little time and if your failing to keep up to standard they will just bollock you and sometimes the rest of the class for your **** ups. The bollockings can be brutal aswell but you learn to just smile through em. Make sure you get along with you classmates and the PO’s. If your just being a miserable twat all the time they’ll just kick you out. I even knew a lad who got discharged on pass out day. Aslong as you’ve got that drive to really want to be in the navy then it should be a breeze. Like I said before I struggled with everything at first and wasn’t even close to the standard I should of been, but I never thought once about leaving or not putting the effort in everyday. Lastly, just don’t get super stressed over things. I stressed a lot and now that a look back there was literally nothing to be stressed about. With all the bullshit what came with training, it was also by far the best experience of my life and it’s changed me and taught me so many things which I’ll never forget. You’ll meet people from all types of backgrounds and form bonds with people you just couldn’t do at home. Good luck with your training and make sure you use your time wisely while you wait

mick1199

Badgeman
Really helpful cheers mate! What warranted that lad getting booted out on pass out day? Also, just because I’m a nosey bugger, what branch/role are you going into?

Really helpful cheers mate! What warranted that lad getting booted out on pass out day? Also, just because I’m a nosey bugger, what branch/role are you going into?
No worries mate. He got booted out because over time he just started being really bitchy and and acted like he didn’t even want to be there. I’ve gone for marine engineer pal. What branch are you going for?

thanks for all this info @Northen101202 good to have someone in here with experience, my question is what week did you find the hardest and what element of that week was the hardest.
No worries mate. I found probably the first week to be the hardest, just because it’s a new environment and being 17, it’s strange to get thrown into this whole new world and getting told to do all this stuff you’ve never done before. The first week is all about getting settled in though. Other than that I would say week 3 is quite difficult. On week 3 you spend the whole week down at MTU which is just down the road from Raleigh and it’s where you learn everything about the rifle. They teach you how to disassemble the SA80 and carry out safety checks and stuff. I actually really enjoyed it but it was just stressful because you get tested on Friday (before you get to do some shooting) and if you fail the test you’ll get back classed. Only 1 lad got back classed. What also made week 3 stressful was that on top of revising and practising for this weapon handling test, we had a kit muster the following Monday. I was really poorly aswell at the time which didn’t help. Me and a few over lads ended up failing the kit muster and had to redo it on Wednesday. So while everyone was chilling out after a hard days work, we were up all night sorting our kit out, and believe me it’s miserable when you don’t even get 10 minutes just to sit down all day. From 5AM to 10:30PM non stop stress and work. It really doesn’t sound that hard but trust me, they know how to push you over your limit. That’s why you should always try your best on everything they tell you to do because they’ll only end up making you do it again if your slacking. We also had another kit muster on week 7 which was stressful but by then I had learned how to iron and have my kit sorted quicker. Plus on the week 7 kit muster, people were helping each-over out a lot more since we all become closer and didn’t want anyone failing. But overall, every week is hard. Your mind just adapts to all the stress and after a while, all the things you thought were stressful really weren’t. Anything you ever thought was stressful before Raleigh changes once you have experienced spending all night in a pissy ironing room making all your kit A4, only to get your bed flipped and everything in your locker thrown about the following day. I never really took it to heart though. To be honest I found it quite funny sometimes. There was a few times when the PO’s came in the mess while we were out doing phys or something to inspect it, and anytime they found any washing powder which wasn’t labelled, they would pour the whole thing onto you bed and write “label me” with there finger through it. And that’s just one of many of the things they will do when your forgetting to do stuff. I remember one time a lad didn’t really make his bed properly in the morning while everyone else’s look up to standard. So the PO’s came in and flipped everyone else’s bed and left his as it was. It’s things like that which gets your thinking more about the next man other than yourself. You’ll never get through Raleigh by yourself. After a while you learn to not just worry about your stuff, but to also worry about the next persons stuff.

Alfacharlie

War Hero
No worries mate. I found probably the first week to be the hardest, just because it’s a new environment and being 17, it’s strange to get thrown into this whole new world and getting told to do all this stuff you’ve never done before. The first week is all about getting settled in though. Other than that I would say week 3 is quite difficult. On week 3 you spend the whole week down at MTU which is just down the road from Raleigh and it’s where you learn everything about the rifle. They teach you how to disassemble the SA80 and carry out safety checks and stuff. I actually really enjoyed it but it was just stressful because you get tested on Friday (before you get to do some shooting) and if you fail the test you’ll get back classed. Only 1 lad got back classed. What also made week 3 stressful was that on top of revising and practising for this weapon handling test, we had a kit muster the following Monday. I was really poorly aswell at the time which didn’t help. Me and a few over lads ended up failing the kit muster and had to redo it on Wednesday. So while everyone was chilling out after a hard days work, we were up all night sorting our kit out, and believe me it’s miserable when you don’t even get 10 minutes just to sit down all day. From 5AM to 10:30PM non stop stress and work. It really doesn’t sound that hard but trust me, they know how to push you over your limit. That’s why you should always try your best on everything they tell you to do because they’ll only end up making you do it again if your slacking. We also had another kit muster on week 7 which was stressful but by then I had learned how to iron and have my kit sorted quicker. Plus on the week 7 kit muster, people were helping each-over out a lot more since we all become closer and didn’t want anyone failing. But overall, every week is hard. Your mind just adapts to all the stress and after a while, all the things you thought were stressful really weren’t. Anything you ever thought was stressful before Raleigh changes once you have experienced spending all night in a pissy ironing room making all your kit A4, only to get your bed flipped and everything in your locker thrown about the following day. I never really took it to heart though. To be honest I found it quite funny sometimes. There was a few times when the PO’s came in the mess while we were out doing phys or something to inspect it, and anytime they found any washing powder which wasn’t labelled, they would pour the whole thing onto you bed and write “label me” with there finger through it. And that’s just one of many of the things they will do when your forgetting to do stuff. I remember one time a lad didn’t really make his bed properly in the morning while everyone else’s look up to standard. So the PO’s came in and flipped everyone else’s bed and left his as it was. It’s things like that which gets your thinking more about the next man other than yourself. You’ll never get through Raleigh by yourself. After a while you learn to not just worry about your stuff, but to also worry about the next persons stuff.
About time we had a decent account of the new part one.

BZ mate. Enjoy it. The real Navy beckons soon!

FuryIsHere

Midshipman

Thanks for the stories, it has put a smile on my face reading that, especially about the washing powder lol

Waspie

War Hero
Excellent review. BZ young un.

mick1199

Badgeman
No worries mate. He got booted out because over time he just started being really bitchy and and acted like he didn’t even want to be there. I’ve gone for marine engineer pal. What branch are you going for?
Also marine engineer, but submarines. As for the other post all good stuff mate. As @Alfacharlie said it’s good to have a decent account since it seems that you just get bullshitted by recruiters etc. right up until you actually experience it for yourself. All in all sounds like good fun. Good luck with whatever comes next mate!

Waspie

War Hero
Also marine engineer, but submarines. As for the other post all good stuff mate. As @Alfacharlie said it’s good to have a decent account since it seems that you just get bullshitted by recruiters etc. right up until you actually experience it for yourself. All in all sounds like good fun. Good luck with whatever comes next mate!
It IS good fun. (Twenty or so years later).

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Yer!!! Running around the parade ground in Sou'Westers with something heavy held over our heads. Anyway, our mast was higher than your mast!!!!!:D
You may laugh but I joined up in the November and we were issued oilskins. Doubling round in one of them in the pouring rain made you sweat like a pig!

P.s. Our mast was 143ft high, how tall wuz yours!

Waspie

War Hero
You may laugh but I joined up in the November and we were issued oilskins. Doubling round in one of them in the pouring rain made you sweat like a pig!

P.s. Our mast was 143ft high, how tall wuz yours!
About 143 feet!!!

And I too wore the glossy black Sou'Westers. It was our bedding we carried above our heads. It came to me in a flash of, sorry forgot!! It came to me. The usual crime - pillow fights at the ungodly hour of ten o clock. (That be 2200Hrs to them that folk who talks like that!!)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Son passed out of Raleigh last week Joining the Royal Navy 5
Gollum Passed my PJFT....off to Raleigh 25th November! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
snapdragon Passed out of Raleigh! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 66
MoD_RSS Foreign Secretary statement: UNSC ceasefire resolution passed unanimously MoD News 0
M About Passed Medical Questionnaire Joining the Royal Navy 0
MoD_RSS New Law Passed Will Make Voting in UK General Election Fairer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Report 10/2020: Signal passed at danger at Loughborough South Junction, Leicestershire MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Report 06/2020: Signal passed at stop and near miss, Deansgate-Castlefield tram stop, Manchester MoD News 0
K Passed medical, what is next and how long should I expect before intake? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MoD_RSS Signal passed at danger and subsequent near-miss at Chalfont & Latimer station MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Signals passed at danger near Crofton West Junction MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Signal passed at danger near Loughborough MoD News 0
LeedsBornLeedsBred Passed out 5 week ago, here to answer any questions. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
S Medical - passed back to Navy to decide ? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
MoD_RSS News story: Opt-out organ donation: Max and Keira's Bill passed into law MoD News 0
couper172 Passed RT with higher score, not sure what to role to choose Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
U Passed running test first week of September - not heard anything back yet Joining the Royal Navy 5
N Medical appointment after being passed medically fit Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
W Passed AIB however told selection unlikely Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
J Passed AIB with a near Perfect Score, what can I do while I wait? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 41
C Newly Passed Pilots, how was your time? The Fleet Air Arm 5
C just passed medical and im wondering whats next? any insights and Im wondering where I do my pjft? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
G Have you ever passed Medical underweight? Gaining Weight before Recruiting Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
MenInSlacks Passed RT now Initial officer interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
D Passed RT but I didn't get my job choice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
R Passed my RT will police caution halt my path? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Jake K PASSED PRNC, Basic training starting 15th May. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
C Passed almost everything Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
A congrats you passed AIB... but unlikely to be selected Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
H passed my pjft Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
77DEEPS77 Anyone Passed their interview for the 2014 intake yet? RFA 157
J Passed Interview - Worried about colour perception! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
Red_Ferny Passed my selection interview! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
Red_Ferny Passed my RT! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
J Passed medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
Andy_Cap Father-in law passed away Nearest & Dearest 2
LaurenMc Passed my interview!! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
C Passed my psychometric testing Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
LaurenMc Passed my PJFT Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
O Father passed away - will Mum still get pension? Finance & Pensions 19
LaurenMc Passed my medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 41
W Passed medical start of November , no word ? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
OMM passed selection interview ET-WE 4-12-12 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 32
J Passed medical and awaiting phsyical? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
L Passed my RTS :) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
D Passed the medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
H Passed my AIB! But... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 75
B Just passed the RT Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
A Passed my medical :-) Health & Fitness 4
R just passed PT and eye test sep 2nd for medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13