passed my interview! but..............

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by mooo, Apr 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I would just like to say I have passed my interview but I nearly failed my medical. I can do the 1.5-mile in the time allocated and the sit-ups. Sadly my press-ups are off the mark by quite away! I can manage 10 and I need to get this up to 27 in 10 weeks or they may refuse me. However the recruitment officer seemed to like me and wants me to join and has given me this ultimatum. Other than doing sit-ups/going to the gym can anyone recommend some exercises to increase my upper body strength in a relatively short time frame.

2. To be honest, it's more likely that your press up stance is incorrect and therefore your just doing them wrong.

Get down to a gym, or look up on the internet the correct body position and that should help you out!!

Otherwise, bicep curls with tins of beans?

Oh and when you next do the test feel the burn...Man the **** up (as the PTI's say at BRNC) and get them done :)

3. Hey Mooo to be honest i know im not as far as you but with your press ups you can built up quick. Say you could only do 10 in about 1 week you could go straight up to like 25+, it happend to me from practice everyday.

Chicogiz

4. I have come up with an ingenious way of doing press ups throughout the day at work. I will just use the disabled toilet with plenty of room in there to do it. It may seem a little dirty but I really want to join and don’t care how as long as I get there.

5. Hahaha, I did that yesterday. Snuck (sneaked??) off to the gym at lunctime, did 15 press-ups and tore a ligament in my wrist and had to go to A&E. :afro: Have now been warned by the hospital not to do any more for 8 weeks! And guess when I'm going to BRNC??!!

6. Wow maybe i won't do them that often then. The last thing i want is to get injured and delay when i can join Raleigh.

7. From my non-medical opinion, standard press-ups can be a huge strain on the wrist if the ligament isn't used to, however, 'little and often' will strengthen the ligaments over time (as well as the muscles).

The website I gave earlier shouldn't put undue stress on the wrist for too long a period because it starts you off at a level you're happy with. If you do start hurting during exercise then obviously stop immediately, regardless of the exercise (this is different to wanting to stop - i.e. pushing through the 'wall'). I read somewhere that pain is the body's way of telling you that you're damaging yourself.

Hope that helps.

C

8. Instead of going straight into normal press-up position why not attempt to do them with your legs on the sofa/bed, lean over the edge horizontally and aim to do 3 lots of 10 with around 30 seconds of rest inbetween.
    After a few days of this revert back to regular press up position and see how it's improved the amount you can do.

9. I completly agree with natg.
    Try get someone to do them with you and help you.

I even found the lady ones hard untill the other day when i realised i was putting all the wieght onto my arms and not using my stomach lol.

10. First post on here folks.......Lots of useful information so keep up the good work!!

I found my wrists where a little sore (after press ups... no pun's) to start of with, as Ant mentioned I found elevating my feet helped both strengthen my wrists and also improve my total press up count. One thing I definately reccomend is a gymball !!!. Rest your feet on the gymball (you should find that when your arms are fully extended your approximately horizontal to the floor). This method helps dramatically improve your sense of balance as your doing your press ups, and a single press up itself is tougher than a normal press up. I swear by that if you can do 30-40 on the gymball you can do 50-60 on the floor.

11. Ha Ha Rache. You should be alright the PTI which normally gives us all the god damn press ups has left! He once made us do 500 because one of the lads hadn't shaved or something! :-(

12. It's not rocket surgery. Up in the morning, assume the position, front support. bang em out. Afore bed, the same. Add two more each time. In 10 weeks you'll be banging out a tidy amount. Persistence, is omnipotent. If you keep knocking the door, someone will eventually open it. Or it'll fall off it hinges like. 8)

13. The 100 press-up method looks good but im not at a level of doing loads in one go at the moment so i will be doing as Uesihba said, 1 lot in the morning and 1 lot at night. I am really focused now as i really can't handle the civvy 9-5 crap anymore. I will give a little update on my progress and let everyone know the out come.

14. Thank you for your kind sympathy. :thanks:

15. Just thought I would give a little update on my press-up regime. It has been one week and I can already see the difference in my upper body strength. I have increased my press-ups and can safely say if I carry on the way I have been last week I should be banging out 27+ in 3-4 weeks time. I have been doing 3 lots of press-ups each day for the last 7 days. I do one set when I wake up, another midday and finally one before I go to bed. I have taken the number of press-ups needed from the link below: http://www.100pushups.info/programe.html

More to follow next week!

16. That link is brilliant!