Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Partner moving in after training

GrapeVine

Midshipman
Morning all. Just a quick question which I needed to ask. I'm due to start BRNC shortly but after BRNC when can you move in with your partner ? Do you have to wait til your training is over ?

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

My advice is to put as much distance between you and your "partner" as possible. It will be a distraction that you don't need. Your primary objective should be receiving HM's Commission at the end of your training. It's seldom wise to split (no pun intended) objectives. With the best will in the world, the temptation will be thrust upon you.

Just my view, for what it's worth.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
In answer to the question: It makes sense to wait until you know where you will be based before making hard and fast plans. After training, the steep learning curve will continue in your first appointment and if it is a ship, bear in mind your partner will be spending a fair bit of time alone whilst you are at sea, away from the baseport area - you could be away for six months. If eligible, Service Family Accommodation is available in the baseport area, usually within 6 weeks of being appointed to that area. Private rented accommodation is obviously available from as soon as you arrive there.

Christ, how unremittingly depressing you all are.

If it's any consolation, I met my wife during WE Officer training 10 years ago, and it worked fine. We moved in after I'd finished DWEO Course, and I have 1400 days of LSA. It can be done.

Guzzler. Sorry, at 0043A I wasn't feeling very eloquent.

Being Commissioned is the beginning of further training for life (not a job) in a blue suit. Ninja_Stoker has since explained my underlying point very well.

The "partner" was not a dig at GrapeVine but a recognition of a modern day manifestation of political correctness that takes all precision away from true representation. Are we talking long term girlfriend, fiance, wife? I don't know and it could just as easily be a bloke in these enlightened modern times.

alfred_the_great. That's good to know and congratulations on a successful outcome. There is always the possibility that you weren't just your average bloke with your average, then, girlfriend, though. As I said, it was my view, for what it's worth.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS UK Partner with Thailand to Create Smarter Cities MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Science enables soldiers and aircrew to partner with smart machines on Salisbury Plain MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Student Loans Company appoints Atos as a Strategic Partner MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New industry leaders partner with Team Tempest to deliver next generation combat aircraft MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK selected as Peru’s delivery partner to rebuild facilities damaged by El Nino MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defence Secretary welcomes Ukraine receiving NATO Enhanced Opportunity Partner status MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Ministry of Defence Commercial Delivery Partner MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Student Loans Company commences strategic partner procurement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Scotland's biggest trading partner continues to be the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK aims to be Africa’s partner of choice for trade and investment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK to partner with Kenyan Fintech companies to increase financial inclusion MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK remains a steadfast partner to Lebanon MoD News 1
MoD_RSS Equity investors invited to partner in healthy ageing funding MoD News 0
vauxhall BBC reports that 'woman wins rights to her late partner's military pension Finance & Pensions 0
MoD_RSS UK and Sweden partner on future combat air MoD News 0
MoD_RSS South West Ireland and Midlands partner to boost economy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Partner with Singapore on disruptive projects: apply for funding MoD News 0
JBNVY18 Joining the RN while partner is serving too! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
MoD_RSS News story: Partner in international quantum research: apply for funding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt: UK wants to be partner of choice across Africa MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Liam Fox: Qatar is 'natural' trade partner for the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Minister for Trade and Export Promotion announces HSBC as founding partner at Expo 2020 Dubai MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Euston works step up a gear as HS2 Ltd signs Construction Partner contract MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Sentence increase for Shropshire drug addict who murdered partner MoD News 0
vauxhall Claiming spouse/partner pensions Finance & Pensions 0
MoD_RSS Speech: "Britain will be a partner you can depend on" - PM in Jordan MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Royal Navy and Royal Marines train alongside partner naval forces MoD News 0
A Advice please. Partner returning from overseas. Nearest & Dearest 32
J I will be split from my partner and 2 year old for 5-8 months Nearest & Dearest 52
S Training partner? Health & Fitness 0
E Baby due whilst partner will be away Nearest & Dearest 6
BFRS Associate Compliance Partner - Leicester The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Liquidity Training Partner(s) in Central London Health & Fitness 0
T If my partner also joins the RN, will the RN try to keep us on the same base? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
finknottle Cameron WWII 'junior partner' gaffe The Gash Barge 23
soleil Woman whose partner has just been KIA posting on Arrse Current Affairs 2
S Training partner London RMR 3
_Tim_ What's the definition of spouse/partner in the application? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 65
W Top tips when looking for a partner Diamond Lil's 27
CRYSTALTIPS Womans way of getting back at her partner The Gash Barge 6
Sniffle-Snaffle Does Spam turn on your partner during foreplay? Diamond Lil's 14
R Question....Married/partner Current Affairs 7
M Qualified Deck Officer, Thinking of moving from Cruise Ships to RFA RFA 3
MoD_RSS Moving toward a ceasefire and preventing famine in Yemen MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Letters to businesses in Northern Ireland about new processes for moving goods from 1 January 2021 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Moving toward a ceasefire in Yemen MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Moving toward peace negotiations in the Middle East MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Creativity keeping road workers safe and the country moving MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Vulnerable children to get better support when moving school MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Moving Venezuela toward a democratic future MoD News 0