Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Part Time Pongo: Not a Continuation of the CGS Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The MoD has made an UNCLAS statement on this vexed matter. For those without access to the MODWEB, it would seem only fair to share it. Any snot gobbling journo will have seen it anyway. Lifted direct from the MoD Home Page this morning;
General Dannatt said:

"Over the last few weeks I have made a particular point of saying that I would keep under constant review my decision to deploy Prince Harry to Iraq with his Troop. As with any military operation, circumstances do change, and therefore so should decisions, if necessary".

"I have decided today that Prince Harry will not deploy as a Troop Leader with his Squadron. I have come to this final decision following a further and wide round of consultation, including a visit to Iraq by myself at the end of last week".

"There have been a number of specific threats – some reported and some not reported - which relate directly to Prince Harry as an individual. These threats place not only him but also those around him to a degree of risk that I now deem unacceptable. Now that I have decided that he will not be deploying with his Troop, the risks faced by his Battlegroup are no different to those faced by any other Battlegroup or other of our Servicemen in Iraq".

"I have to add that a contributing factor to this increase in threat to Prince Harry has been the widespread knowledge and discussion of his deployment. It is a fact that this close scrutiny has exacerbated the situation and this is something that I wish to avoid in future".

"Let me also make quite clear that as a professional soldier, Prince Harry himself will be extremely disappointed. He has proved himself both at Sandhurst and in command of his Troop during their training. I commend him for his determination and his undoubted talent – and I do not say that lightly. His soldiers will miss his leadership in Iraq, although I know his Commanding Officer will provide a highly capable substitute Troop Leader".

"In conclusion, two further points: First, I have asked Prince Harry’s Commanding Officer to continue to develop Prince Harry’s professional career in the Army, but I am not prepared to speculate, either now or in the future, on what Prince Harry might be doing over the next few weeks, months and years".

"Second, I pay tribute once again to the excellence and commitment of all our Servicemen deployed around the World and I thank them, and their families, for the way that they are doing their duty in the best traditions of the Armed Forces."

The MoD statement goes on to say;
This was a military decision based on a military assessment, taken by CGS. Clarence House, Buckingham Palace, 10 Downing Street and the Defence Secretary have been informed. Whilst MOD acknowledges that the security situation in Iraq is challenging and demanding for all our troops, this decision was taken as a result of the very specific threat to Prince Harry. This is not the first time that deployment plans for individuals have changed in the light of a specific threat. This does not mean that Prince Harry will never deploy. Both Prince Harry and his elder brother Prince William will continue to play a full role within their regiments, with future overseas deployments considered on a case-by-case basis. Lessons will be learnt from the widespread knowledge of Prince Harry’s deployment. CGS's preference is to say nothing or the absolute minimum about any future deployments of the Princes for reasons of operational security. Although some insurgents might try to paint this decision as a success for them, the reality is that UK operations in support of Iraq's government will continue, and deny them such a high value target. Prince Harry's troop will still deploy, commanded by a suitably qualified individual.

The man acknowledges that the Media have made matters impossible, as has open and loose debate. Whether that includes RR, ARRSE, Pprune and Goat (who could take that seriously?) is something we need to think about, I suppose. What price free and open discussion between, mostly, professionals? I am not inviting further comment, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Exciting roles at Dstl as part of the new National Cyber Force MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 10 new satellites to be built in Glasgow in next three years as part of new innovative constellation service MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Guidance for GPs to access extra flu vaccines as part of expanded vaccination programme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 10,000 UK volunteers to take part in new COVID-19 vaccine trials MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Drivers urged to clean up their act as part of national clean MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CNC officers proud to take part in webinar on women in armed policing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Calls to end ‘blight’ of graffiti on roads and railways as part of Great British September Clean MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DASA to take part in DPRTE 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New productivity institute part of £37m investment to boost UK wage growth and living standards MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Love Culture Week as part of Enjoy Summer Safely MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Digital diplomacy: UK’s Asia Minister discusses science and business links with Vietnam as part of ‘renewed focus’ on relations MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government acts to protect jobs in every part of the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Part time students in Wales can apply now for student finance MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Apply for part time and post graduate master's student finance MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Households urged to play their part in preventing waste crime MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 6000 new supported homes as part of landmark commitment to end rough sleeping MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK diplomats in Canada take part in 24hr Global Relay Marathon MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government to grant permission for pubs and restaurants to operate as takeaways as part of coronavirus response MoD News 0
MoD_RSS It’s a national effort to win coronavirus fight, we all have crucial part to play MoD News 0
C Are the Royal Marines part of the Royal Navy itself? The Corps 5
MoD_RSS Drones could form key part of next generation of UK search and rescue MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Office for Disability Issues becomes part of Equalities Hub MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Working as a part-time teacher after a career change MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New Innovate UK brand launched as part of unified UKRI identity MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Broxtowe Part Two Local Plan: letter to the council MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Developing the future of flight: take part in the challenge MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CNC proud to play key part in inaugural Women in Armed Policing conference MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Council homes to form part of Homes England’s first neighbourhood at Northstowe MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Applications dealing with part of the land in a registered title MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: RAF Typhoons scramble to intercept Russian fighters as part of Baltic Air Policing Mission MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Appeal for landowners to take part in pioneering project MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: NHSX: digital experts will be part of cancer and mental health teams MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Beavers arrive in Essex to play their part in flood prevention MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Drivers urged to clean up their act as part of national litter campaign MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: First part of Mytholmroyd flood defences finished MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Grayling announces new Dawlish sea wall as part of £2 billion investment in south-west MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: HM Revenue and Customs simplifies importing from the EU as part of 'no deal' preparation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign Secretary Hunt visits Malaysia as part of first overseas trip in 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Robber who bit off part of victim’s ear jailed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Major summit staged in London as part of global fight against corruption in sport MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: UK HPR1000 new nuclear reactor design completes initial scrutiny part of regulators’ Generic Design Assessment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM to visit Belgium and France as part of Armistice commemorations MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Sky's the limit for defence personnel taking part in Edinburgh Tattoo MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Injured veterans and service personnel take part in excavation at Barrow Clump MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Armed Forces proud to take part in Royal Wedding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Centre for Applied Science and Technology (CAST) becomes part of Dstl MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Minister visits small Ipswich company which has played big part in... MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign Secretary visits Benghazi as part of drive to support Libyan... MoD News 1
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Minister announces £3M to be saved as part of a new deal to supply the... MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Defence minister meets teenagers taking part in pilot Army supercamp MoD News 0