Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parking while deployed?

will!

Midshipman
Just a quick question,one of my friends is in the Navy and he's just left for the Gulf,i noticed that he had left his car at home.Usually he takes it but i ask someone why its at home and they said that if he's away for awhile they clamp the cars and tow them away to a compound then you pay £60 to get it back?? How true is this or is it someone making porkies.
thanks Will

AuldYin

Badgeman
If it is parked outside his house, as long as it has current road tax and is insured and MOTd, no one will tow it away.

will!

Midshipman
sorry i havnt explained myself properly,i mean he usually takes it with him but he hasnt because when he does take it and he leaves it at portsmouth it gets clamped and towed to a secure compound until he gets back,but he gets charged for it as well.

scabz

Lantern Swinger
Depends where he parks it. Sometimes the establishments need a car park to be cleared (resurfacing, static displays, fireworks night, etc) and give reasonable notice to remove vehicles. Any not moved by the date required will be lifted and shifted and the cost is usually transferred to the owner.

NotmeChief

Banned
will! said:
sorry i havnt explained myself properly,i mean he usually takes it with him but he hasnt because when he does take it and he leaves it at portsmouth it gets clamped and towed to a secure compound until he gets back,but he gets charged for it as well.

Tell him to get a draft to Guzz, they have a nice safe compound and it don't get clamped.

Waspie

War Hero
NotmeChief said:
will! said:

Tell him to get a draft to Guzz, they have a nice safe compound and it don't get clamped.

:thumright: Used to leave my car in the long term car park in Guzz Dockyard.

Other establishments I used to garage the car at home and catch a train.

Seems Guzz is the only place set up or given any thought to deployments.

Leaving it at home is the better option as family can look after it, start it regularly etc,

will!

Midshipman
thanks for the reply,i'll keep that in mind,i just thought it was abit odd that you get charged for leaving your car while your away.

R12_CV

Lantern Swinger
Waspie said:
Seems Guzz is the only place set up or given any thought to deployments.

Clyde base doesn't do too bad with a multi story car park available.
Your car might look shit after 6 months though with the dust from the builders across the way knocking up new accom.

My mate Kenny on the Glasgow left his car on the Hard in Pompey when we sailed for a weeks pissing about.
He actually left it on one of the slips, and the first inkling of trouble came when we got the papers delivered on the way in, and there was a photo of his Golf on the ebb tide floating out to sea.

We laughed, but Kenny didn't!

I still laugh!

tommo

War Hero
There is a car park for people going away on deployment (outside the docks). You can only leave it on base for a shot time. I believe 30 days was max in Pompey Dockyard itselfwhen I was in.

Unless things have changed in reference to that I don't know it was this when I was in up unitl 2003 but I will stand corrected on this

witsend

MIA
Book Reviewer
will! said:
Just a quick question,one of my friends is in the Navy and he's just left for the Gulf,i noticed that he had left his car at home.Usually he takes it but i ask someone why its at home and they said that if he's away for awhile they clamp the cars and tow them away to a compound then you pay £60 to get it back?? How true is this or is it someone making porkies.
thanks Will

wii,,,, If the neighbour that your stalking owns a car and has road tax, he can park where they want. Why don't you phone the police/council when the road tax runs out.

Hmmmmmmmmm strange question if your a member of the RN.

will!

Midshipman
not really a strange question when i'm not in the RN yet and if you read the thread you'll know what i'm on about....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Crackdown on private car parking firms will eliminate unfair fines MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Car parking investment companies shut down in court MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government to provide free car parking for NHS and social care staff MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Free hospital parking for thousands of patients, staff and carers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New parking code could give motorists 10-minute grace period in private car parks MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Demonstration road gifted to rugby club for car parking MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK on verge of revolution to make parking easier and help British high streets MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Drivers to receive greater protection against rogue private parking operators MoD News 0
Ageing_Gracefully A nifty bit of parking Diamond Lil's 0
janner Parking near Pompey Dockyard The Quarterdeck 9
SONAR-BENDER Disabled parking v Mothers and babies The Gash Barge 37
A Parking at Sultan Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
trelawney126 DVLA & Private Parking. Owners Details for Sale Motoring 1
nice!howmuch? women and parking cars Blue Jokes 0
Seaweed Kew Starts Charging for Parking 27.4.2010 The Gash Barge 0
Hotdogtopdog Car parking? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 34
Nails ATTN all those with a parking permit on CTCRM The Corps 14
F Blocked in parking spaces Diamond Lil's 20
geoffg Parking Tickets The Quarterdeck 2
M Parking at Gatwick Diamond Lil's 7
clanky No more parking problems. Of interest to all ex LC crewmen History 0
flynavy Harrier Parking problem The Fleet Air Arm 9
Shakey Secure car parking for females The Quarterdeck 25
P Holiday while in the military Joining the Royal Navy 13
MoD_RSS Adapting MINUSMA while working toward lasting peace in Mali MoD News 0
crash_evans How is the RN training new recruits while social distancing? Joining the Royal Navy 10
G Mobile number changed while on leave UPO 4
MoD_RSS Chance to ‘win while you save’ with new credit union prize account MoD News 0
MoD_RSS South East car mechanic banned for trading while insolvent MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Clothes designed to grow as children age could mean savings for parents while cutting waste MoD News 0
E Joining RN while diagnosed with Asperger's Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
JBNVY18 Joining the RN while partner is serving too! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
L Injuries while under going phase 2 Health & Fitness 7
MoD_RSS Press release: Financial Services bosses banned for trading while insolvent MoD News 0
C Applying while at university Joining the Royal Navy 4
K Triage phone call while overseas Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
R Royal Navy training while in URNU Joining the Royal Navy 9
M Self-harm and suicide attempts while serving Submariners 7
A Payment of rent/Phone bill etc while training Joining the Royal Navy 11
J Passed AIB with a near Perfect Score, what can I do while I wait? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 41
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary wishes troops Merry Christmas while in Poland on NATO visit MoD News 0
P 'Top Gun' Royal Navy pilot who took on Taliban while fyling upside down still waiting to bring Ameri The Fleet Air Arm 24
B Pay while at HMS Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 5
N Joining while married to a Russian Joining the Royal Navy 19
R Driving ban while signing up Joining the Royal Navy 24
I Driving conviction while waiting to join Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
L What to do with car insurance while deployed Motoring 5
T Running motivation while training. Look out for "Park Run". Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
M What is a Warfare Officers role while alongside? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
C Best places visited while serving? Travel & The Great Outdoors 57