Parking near Pompey Dockyard

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by janner, Jul 14, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Sometime over the next few weeks I'm going up to Pompey to have a look around the Mary Rose etc. Its sometime since I drove that way and would appreciate information on the nearest public parking
  2. There is some parking in Admiralty Quarter, which is a shared parking space with residents and the historic dockyard. However, head up to the Hard and, on the mini roundabout turn left and follow the road to the T-Junction, when you look right, there's a reasonably priced Portsmouth Council car park.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Janner - save yourself the hassle and use the new park and ride. Car park is right off the M275, bus takes you straight to the historic dockyard/gunwharf and is only £2 for a day return. Enjoy your trip to sunny Pompey!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Thanks for the replies, the park and ride looks to be the way forward. For those that don't know the concession scheme for the Dockyard etc has been extended to members of the Submariners Association. A list of those entitled and what you can get access too shown below

Portsmouth Historic Dockyard Concession
    [FONT=Garamond,Garamond][FONT=Garamond,Garamond]Can I make you all aware of the good news that, as from Tuesday 1
    [/FONT][FONT=Garamond,Garamond][FONT=Garamond,Garamond]st [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Garamond,Garamond][FONT=Garamond,Garamond]July 2014 the Submariners Association have been awarded the same concessions for entry to Portsmouth Historic Dockyard and its associated attractions as those enjoyed by the Association of Wrens, RNA and RMA. It would be appreciated if you could circulate this information to your Members please, ensuring that they are made aware of the Terms and Conditions for taking advantage of this Concession which are displayed below. [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Garamond,Garamond][FONT=Garamond,Garamond] [/FONT][/FONT]Association of Wrens, Royal Naval Association, Royal Marines Association and Submariners Association:

[FONT=Garamond,Garamond][FONT=Garamond,Garamond]£10 ticket valid for one day only for themselves and up to four members of their friends and family at £10 per ticket each on production of valid and in date association membership ID card. [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Garamond,Garamond][FONT=Garamond,Garamond]  Tickets are valid for one day only. Tickets give access to Mary Rose Museum, HMS Victory, HMS Warrior 1860, Action Stations, National Museum of the Royal Navy, Harbour Tours, Royal Navy Submarine Museum and HMS Alliance, Royal Marines Museum and Explosion Museum of Naval Firepower. A complimentary Waterbus service is available for transportation between Portsmouth Historic Dockyard and the Gosport attractions. This is on a first come, first served basis and cannot be guaranteed.
     Tickets must be purchased in person in the Visitor Centre at Portsmouth Historic Dockyard and valid and in date ID card must be shown. This special rate ticket cannot be purchased directly from the Submarine Museum, Marines Museum or Explosion Museum,
     No upgrades or refunds are available after purchase and tickets are non-transferable.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hi Janner

If you drive down Queens Rd towards The Hard - just before the road turns left onto the Hard there is a Multi Storey Carpark on the left (I think the inside lane is signposted "Carpark" and takes you straight to it. All in all about 5 mions walk from the dockyard gate.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I would agree with Spare-Rib. I used the Park and Ride when I visited the Mary Rose. Easy access from the M275, £2 all day and drop off at The Hard so hardly any walk at all. The fee covers all of the occupants in the car too.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I used to work there, i would have let you in for free or charged you triple :D as it will be summer holidays park and ride as said will be the way to go.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Park and ride is fantastic, only a couple of quid all day parking which includes bus fare. And buses run about every 10 minutes. Saves all the hassle of driving through Pompey which is often gridlocked depending on time of travel.
  9. Just stick a big eats delivery or Jack Blair sign on your car and you'll get waved through the dockyard gate straightaway:wink:
    Failing that the park and Ride is the cheapest and most hassle free option
  10. Take out a new mortgage and park at gun wharf.