Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Parents Page

More advice please - My Step son passed his PRNC and off to Raleigh , 1st week of June.

What does he need to take apart from the Boots , Iron and underpants?

He should get a list detailing what he needs, someone more current than I am can maybe tell you when the list arrives.

He will get a list of what he needs to take a few weeks before he joins. It’s an extensive list but make sure he takes it all. My son is now in his second week. If he had his choice again he would have gone for better quality sewing needles!! Take extra pants as he can not wear them and use them in his kit muster. The same goes for shoe polish and brushes. Double up on them as he will then have a spotless set for his locker. Make sure he is doing plenty of keep fit before he goes. PT sessions are hard. Once again my son was at the gym many times before he joined but is still finding it tough going. A positive attitude and willing to mix with everyone is essential. He also need to keep in mind that after the first 10 weeks Navy life will be completely different. The ten weeks are completely scripted so he will fail tests even if he passes them. They are interested in how people cope rather than just passing a test. 11 people out of 20 failed the fitness test on the first day even though many thought they had passed. My son went in on a cancellation so he had just passed it two weeks before lol.

Last edited:
Just spoke to him last night. He will need to be in trousers and shirt and tie when joining at Plymouth train station. He wont need any other civvy clothing for the whole ten weeks and locker space is for uniform only.
Here is his locker after one week. When i think what his bedroom was like up to when he joined!!:D:D

And it got ripped apart during captains rounds lol

u2E7vE5m.jpg

Just spoke to him last night. He will need to be in trousers and shirt and tie when joining at Plymouth train station. He wont need any other civvy clothing for the whole ten weeks and locker space is for uniform only.
Here is his locker after one week. When i think what his bedroom was like up to when he joined!!:D:D

And it got ripped apart during captains rounds lol

u2E7vE5m.jpg
not surprising his kit folding is all over the place, he will get there

Nobody fails any assessments if they have reached the required standard. There is no scripting whatsoever during INT. Where you have ascertained that information from I would dearly like to know.

Hi my Step Son off to Raleigh on Sunday to hopefully start his career. His mum obviously worried about her 17 year old , will he get the opportunity to call her most days? Will it be in the evening if he does?
Cheers

Hi my Step Son off to Raleigh on Sunday to hopefully start his career. His mum obviously worried about her 17 year old , will he get the opportunity to call her most days? Will it be in the evening if he does?
Cheers
Being able to call every day is one thing having the time to call is another, to help the new recruits to settle in and to take their minds of home (homesickness) they are kept very busy for the fist 10 weeks of basic, he will call home to tell you he is short of cash, phone is broke, phone out of credit? (not from calling home), if things are getting a bit tough (finding out there are two 5 O'clock in a day) he will call home to vent then get on again.
It's not he is not grateful for all his mother has done, he is, and one day may remember to thank her. but he will be on a new journey and will get back to you when he can, think of it has a Butlins holiday camp with more fun???

Being able to call every day is one thing having the time to call is another, to help the new recruits to settle in and to take their minds of home (homesickness) they are kept very busy for the fist 10 weeks of basic, he will call home to tell you he is short of cash, phone is broke, phone out of credit? (not from calling home), if things are getting a bit tough (finding out there are two 5 O'clock in a day) he will call home to vent then get on again.
It's not he is not grateful for all his mother has done, he is, and one day may remember to thank her. but he will be on a new journey and will get back to you when he can, think of it has a Butlins holiday camp with more fun???

If he does ring it will be in the evening, phones are locked away during the working day (which is/can be very long :) )

Cheers

Phase 1 recruits have access to their phones in the evenings and at weekends - provided they aren't suffering a phone ban, which happens a fair bit, for some breaching of the rules on phone use. They are also allowed their phones in church with them on a Sunday morning and a lot of recruits use that time to call/facetime home.

The first few days are particularly manic and many a worried parent has had sleepless nights because they haven't heard from their kid, but they're often a little overwhelmed to begin with and don't think to let you know they arrived safely.

We encouraged our son to call no more than once or twice a week. It's great to hear from them (although they tend to only call when all is terrible and they hate it - kids never seem to want to share the news when they're enjoying it so much), but their day doesn't end at 1800, they've got kit to prepare, cleaning to do, sleep to get etc. Success at Raleigh is really about putting in maximum effort in everything you do and time management. Checking social media, facetiming friends & family, they all take place when perhaps the recruit could be making sure their kit is perfect (too many settle with 'that'll do' and then get upset when they fail a kit muster). Of course your stepson should call, but encourage him to make sure he's done everything that needs to be done first.

And like I say, there's always Sundays after church.

Cheers

Hi if you have Facebook join the page Hms Raleigh families and phase 2, beyond. You’ll get a lot of good advice there from people going through the same.

Latest Threads