Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Parents Page

Hi all. I did 10 years in the Mob and my son has been waiting to join. It has now been two and a half years since he first set foot in the Careers office. I've got to say it has been a pretty poor experience for him. He is now on his 4th points of contact at the Careers office and each one has told him a different story. There have been cock ups with his medicals, not informed when he was due a fitness test etc etc. He is becoming increasingly disillusioned with the process. He passes a medical and fitness test every six months.
My question really is how long should it take to join? He has been informed that it may be October but he was also informed 5 months ago that it may be April (which is is now obviously not). he wants to join the Hydrogrophy branch which I realise would slow things down but 3 years seems a long time to wait. I have the feeling that the lack of continuity with the contact in the careers office has has a bearing on the time frame.
It is very frustrating as he really wants a career in the RN but his introduction to it has been less than efficient.
Any guidance ids greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Jnr begins week 10 on Monday, so me and 'she who must be obeyed' are travelling down to Raleigh for his pass out parade (all being well).

Spending a couple of day's in sunny Plymouth, any recommendations for things to see and do whilst were there (Jnr doing his own thing after pass out). Was thinking about Devonport Navy Heritage Centre ? Smeatons tower ? anything else you guys/gals would recommend. Where would be the best places to eat/drink Thurs/Fri.

Thanks for any advice, Cheers folks

cheers for the info guys, problem with the distillery though, 'she who must be obeyed' is partial to a gin or 2(0), so I don't think we would make it any further until she sucks the stills dry o_O

Personally I love Cawsand. There's not a great deal to do there except enjoy it for itself - it's a little seaside village just beyond Raleigh - but it's a beautiful village and a great place to stay.

Personally I love Cawsand. There's not a great deal to do there except enjoy it for itself - it's a little seaside village just beyond Raleigh - but it's a beautiful village and a great place to stay.
Thanks Exprop, the weather is looking a bit dodgy for Friday - typical :mad:

Royal William Yard is worth a visit, lots of restaurants within the old garrison. You could get the Cremyll foot ferry across to Mount Edgcumbe from near there. Also lots of restaurants down in the Barbican area with plenty of bars

Latest Threads