Parents Page

wilters

My son wishes to apply to be a Warfare Officer (SM) in the Royal Navy.

He was born in London and then accompanied me (a Royal Navy officer) and my wife (an Australian) in and out of the UK until I retired from the Service when he was 9. The family then retired to Australia. My son is a dual UK - Australia national living in Australia.

I can see from the Royal Navy website that the process, after registering interest, is: NRST and informal interview; medical and eye tests; fitness test; interview; and AIB.

How much of this process can be undertaken from Australia before, of course, returning to the UK for the AIB?

As a past Head of the British Defence Liaison Staff, I am aware there is a serving Royal Marine Brigadier and naval support staff in Canberra. Can they engage in elements of the process and avoid the need to return to the UK for every step?

Also, assuming my son passes every stage, how long should we expect from registering interest to AIB? And how long between AIB and Dartmouth?

Finally, are there any particular time-consuming critical path bureaucratic activities (eg criminal history checks or whatever) that he should get on with as soon as possible?

I recognise that my son will have complete the process himself. I am only asking these procedural questions before handing over to him because of my background.

Many thanks

GW

Apologies: I may have incorrectly posted this elsewhere as a new conversation

fishhead

War Hero
I appreciate your lad would like to follow in your footsteps but wouldn't applying to join the RAN be a less complicated option?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
How much of this process can be undertaken from Australia before, of course, returning to the UK for the AIB?
Just the eye test & medical triage.

If comms are established with the processing AFCO, they may well get the residency waiver underway and initiate security clearance. Many overseas applicants return home after AIB if still waiting for SC, prior to entry.

wilters

Thank you Ninja.

Will the recruitment process be such that all the UK interviews and tests including AIB can be arranged into a period of a couple of weeks? Multiple trips from Australia to the UK are hardly feasible / affordable.

Also, how long is the entire process likely to take - ie up to AIB and including residency waiver and security clearance?

Is residency waiver still required for a dual national after the Government's decision in Nov 2018 to change residency requirements?

GW

oldplodder

Midshipman
It’s been some time since I posted in here. Just like to update you all on the progress of my grandson who had to run the CAPITA gauntlet over 15 months ago , which entailed the cost of about £600 for private medical tests, before he finally got through all the various stages to get himself to Raleigh. I’m pleased to report that he successfully completed his 10 week training with no setbacks.
On 24 May 2019, his proud family and a large company of his friends attended his POP, as he led the guard of honour. Believe me, that was probably the most emotional and uplifting experience for a family member in my life. He’s now at Sultan and has taken up his training as an AET.
Thanks all, and for anybody who has to make the struggle with CAPITA, just hang on in there and persevere; and just as long as you haven’t a medical problem that’s a complete bar to joining, your efforts will be well worth it.
Good luck and best wishes to you all.

Smurf1872

Hi , not sure if this is the correct thread to post in but my son is joining up at Raleigh on 14th July and i see that it shuts 2nd Aug-2nd Sept - is he still paid during this period ?

Sumo

War Hero
Hi , not sure if this is the correct thread to post in but my son is joining up at Raleigh on 14th July and i see that it shuts 2nd Aug-2nd Sept - is he still paid during this period ?
He joins then gets sent on a months paid leave (holiday) just make sure he maintains his fitness and gets lots of ironing practice.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Ninja is no longer a recruiter and as such spends less time on the site, If you have any questions the easiest way to get an answer is to put it in this thread and then anyone that can help will.

Smurf1872

He joins then gets sent on a months paid leave (holiday) just make sure he maintains his fitness and gets lots of ironing practice.
Thanks for this , he is getting help from a friend who was a PTI in the RAF so he'll keep him ticking over throughout August fitness wise - but he has a car to pay for and i was checking to make sure Bank of Dad wasn't going to get stung that month

WreckerL

War Hero
Thanks for this , he is getting help from a friend who was a PTI in the RAF so he'll keep him ticking over throughout August fitness wise - but he has a car to pay for and i was checking to make sure Bank of Dad wasn't going to get stung that month
If he's anything like my eldest son, I still got stung when he was serving and that was to do with cars as well :(

Sumo

War Hero
Mine never served and all in their 30's I still get stung?
Daughter has only just brought her own car in last 12 months, was driving wife's car for 3 years?
Youngest came home 4+ years ago for 6 months, has no need for own car? he says as he as a van for work, no personal use, so he drives our cars?
Wait until bank of Grandad is openes?

Latest Threads