Parents Page

wilters

My son wishes to apply to be a Warfare Officer (SM) in the Royal Navy.

He was born in London and then accompanied me (a Royal Navy officer) and my wife (an Australian) in and out of the UK until I retired from the Service when he was 9. The family then retired to Australia. My son is a dual UK - Australia national living in Australia.

I can see from the Royal Navy website that the process, after registering interest, is: NRST and informal interview; medical and eye tests; fitness test; interview; and AIB.

How much of this process can be undertaken from Australia before, of course, returning to the UK for the AIB?

As a past Head of the British Defence Liaison Staff, I am aware there is a serving Royal Marine Brigadier and naval support staff in Canberra. Can they engage in elements of the process and avoid the need to return to the UK for every step?

Also, assuming my son passes every stage, how long should we expect from registering interest to AIB? And how long between AIB and Dartmouth?

Finally, are there any particular time-consuming critical path bureaucratic activities (eg criminal history checks or whatever) that he should get on with as soon as possible?

I recognise that my son will have complete the process himself. I am only asking these procedural questions before handing over to him because of my background.

Many thanks

GW

Apologies: I may have incorrectly posted this elsewhere as a new conversation

fishhead

War Hero
I appreciate your lad would like to follow in your footsteps but wouldn't applying to join the RAN be a less complicated option?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
How much of this process can be undertaken from Australia before, of course, returning to the UK for the AIB?
Just the eye test & medical triage.

If comms are established with the processing AFCO, they may well get the residency waiver underway and initiate security clearance. Many overseas applicants return home after AIB if still waiting for SC, prior to entry.

wilters

Thank you Ninja.

Will the recruitment process be such that all the UK interviews and tests including AIB can be arranged into a period of a couple of weeks? Multiple trips from Australia to the UK are hardly feasible / affordable.

Also, how long is the entire process likely to take - ie up to AIB and including residency waiver and security clearance?

Is residency waiver still required for a dual national after the Government's decision in Nov 2018 to change residency requirements?

GW