Parents Page

fishhead

War Hero
Unfortunately sons nerves took over today at his interview. Hes now just concentrating on absorbing as much naval info & getting fitness tip top. Heartbroke for him earlier to see him (just 16 at the end of August there) his afco have been great with him even taking me into the debrief with him so we as a family can support him to achieve his rerun interview. THANKS to you all for support and advice past present & future.x
Any kind of job interview can be intimidating for a youngster. Now he has this first one under his belt any subsequent ones should be a little easier to cope with. I am sure with your support he will be "Mr Confidence" next time.

Any kind of job interview can be intimidating for a youngster. Now he has this first one under his belt any subsequent ones should be a little easier to cope with. I am sure with your support he will be "Mr Confidence" next time.
Thanks fishhead. Hes taking today as a learning curve and as you say that the 1st one done. Im sure he'll do grand during his subsequent interviews

oldplodder

Midshipman
Well I am pleased to report that my grandson successfully passed his medical this morning and was informed that he has now been moved on to the next stage. His appointment was for 9:10 am and when he called me at 9:45 am, I was expecting the worst. But, he later told me that it only took half an hour. The doctor is a CAPITA doctor too, which doesn't matter. Getting through to the next stage was his objective.
My great grandfather (maternal) an Irishman born in Cork joined the Queens Navy when he was a lad. I have his full navy career records which show that he was wounded during the Crimea War. He was a master boatman at the time.
His records show that one of his senior officers, offered him reading and writing lessons, but he declined. Probably thought he might get more responsibility. He went all over the world during his period in the navy, even as far as Hawaii After his medical discharge he became a coastguard in County Wexford. He didn't stay there too long and brought his family, including my then three year old grandmother to live in England, and the rest is history as they say.
His eldest son became a CPO and was a diver and instructor during WW1.
As far as I can see there hasn't been anymore RN people in the family, which in my humble opinion is a great honour.
Cheers all.

oldplodder

Midshipman
Another hurdle successfully crossed: my grandson passed his PJFT today. He certainly did well in his run, completing it in 10mins 11 seconds. One of the PT instructors told me that he 'smashed it.'
Next step will be the penultimate hurdle before Raleigh. Onwards and upwards. Cheers al!

Wima

Hello, my youngest is off on their PRNC to Rosyth in December, will they get their fail or pass result immediately the course ends? Thanks

oldplodder

Midshipman
It's more than 12 months now since my grandson began his life changing journey towards him joining the Royal Navy. Today marks the end of his second week at Raleigh and all seems to be going well for him. I must write here how impressed we are at the efficiency so far encountered.
Today I unexpectedly received a welcoming pack from the admiralty, outlining everything involved with our grandson's training, even down to providing us with accommodation facilities for his POP day. Excellent magazine to read too.
We have come a long way since the days when young lads were brutally press-ganged into the service. Those poor Devils were born far too soon. Three cheers for the modern Royal Navy.

Dusty70

Lantern Swinger
Fixed...............................That didn't matter, you'd taken the Queen's shilling anally and that was that.

Latest Threads