Parents Page

toonstep

Midshipman
our lad back after 9 weeks as summer break at HMS Raleigh. had a fantastic time , says very hard but loved it, much more mature 17 year old than he was when we put him on the train down.

can't wait to go back and pass out. think shame there's a break for summer..
passing out first week of September then off to RNAS Culdrose

pompeyexpat

War Hero
He'll be bored in days if he's anything like my boy. He came home on summer leave at the end of week 7 and couldn't wait to get back.

Sumo

War Hero
Stack up the ironing for him, he will be a fab hand at that, once done send him of for a run, tell him he has to better his best 1.5 mile time? New language no loafing, on the double & no slacking.

Hi all

My son (16) is just starting his application process and has date for nsrt 6th sept. Im trying to support him as best i can but honestly havent a clue with anything to do with the rn. Any tips welcomed Tia

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Start by reading everything on this thread, all sorts of good tips, some from Mums that have been in your postion. The washing and ironing tips are good, if he master them it will make his first few weeks a lot easier. Don't worry about him, I was his age when I started a couple of years :)p) ago and I survived. Good luck to him.

pompeyexpat

War Hero
There’s a Facebook group for families of those at Raleigh and going through the recruitment process that you might find helpful.

Sumo

War Hero
Start by reading everything on this thread, all sorts of good tips, some from Mums that have been in your postion. The washing and ironing tips are good, if he master them it will make his first few weeks a lot easier. Don't worry about him, I was his age when I started a couple of years :)p) ago and I survived. Good luck to him.
a couple of years ago, how the mind can play tricks?

Thanks for the replies will have a read. Only been a week since he registered interest and told up to 18 month wait for Na ah. Phoned afco to be told theyd be hoping to get him in tail end of yr or beginning of 2019

toonstep

Midshipman
Our lad waited a 10 months for his.PRNC date, it is heavily dependant on role. He went to Scotland early May then HMS Raleigh June. Pre joining fitness is all he worried about and learning about what to expect.

He has really enjoyed his first 9 weeks, back for summer.break , can't.wait to get back, pass out and start phase. 2.

Sumo

War Hero
I joined in 1976, seems like only yesterday!
I would like to call you a sprog, but I only joined in 74 I'll be 60 in a few days but due to some of the old and bold on here, they will a call me just a lad.
like you i remember my first day from leaving home in Derby, 24yrs later I left. Only regret was not seeing the kids grow.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Eeeeeeeee, I remember when this were all fields............

As was Raleigh before beng commandeered in 1940 for emergency war use. (Just to stay loosly on thread!)

Sumo

War Hero
I DO remember when it was partly fields with wooden huts on! ;)

Back on thread - mums - you worry too much! It is one long jolly wheeze with a family party at the end!

Usually.............
correct my family had a party when I left after 24yrs.
For newbies it is the start of a new adventure, it starts with a health and fitness club led by the own personal trainer's, they are shown how to look smart in clean and ironed cloths, without the aid of mum.
To help young of spring to prepare for the navy newbies holiday camp, encourage them to do regular exercise, and allow them into the area where they can wash and iron their own cloths. Show them how to put up an ironing board without losing fingers & which part of the iron is hot. Practice makes it a bit easier in their first few weeks.

toonstep

Midshipman
Help please
ID for Raleigh-. Our Lad is passing out first week of September, a few of us attending.
His Grandma doesn't have a passport or driving licence, is there anything else she can use?
Thank you

Anything with her photograph and name on it will do. At a push they will accept a debit or credit card with her name on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk