Parents Page

@oldplodder I am no expert in the appeals system but it seems to me if they're advising your Grandson on how he can appeal there could be grounds for making one. If the dreaded words "Permanently Medically Unfit" haven't been applied anything is worth a try. There have been many cases on this forum where people have challenged the Capita decision and won and I sure someone will be able to tell you the best way to go about it.
Good luck to your Grandson in his endeavours.
My grandson received some encouraging news today from the careers people. Somebody called him back after he had asked what he has to do in order to appeal CAPITA's previous decision. He was told to provide an up to date EKG, which his GP will hopefully provide, and an echocardiogram report which we will more than likely have to foot the cost of. In addition he is being sent an appeals form. So provided his tests come up good, all is not lost.
Great place this for Navy hopefuls and families.

Last edited:
capita have guidelines, if anyone does not completely for in the box they put them as unfit, it is then up to the applicant to show/prove otherwise, the final day is with the real Naval doctors. Good luck to your grandson.
Just thought I'd update you Sumo. My grandson was advised today from the Navy careers people to provide an up to date EKG and a Echocardiogram test. Hopefully the results will be sound and we can get on with his appeal. Cheers!

Last edited:
My grandson received some encouraging news today from the careers people. Somebody called him back after he had asked what he has to do in order to appeal CAPITA's previous decision. He was told to provide an up to date EKG, which his GP will hopefully provide, and an echocardiogram report which we will more than likely have to foot the cost of. In addition he is being sent an appeals form. So provided his tests come up good, all is not lost.
Great place this for Navy hopefuls and families.
@oldplodder Thanks for the update and I'm delighted that all is not lost. Remember Capita are employed as a filter and operate to guidelines laid down by the MOD. There are inevitably "grey areas" and it is easier for them to reject rather than chance letting through someone who is borderline. We would all like to know the eventual outcome as this acts as a guide to those who follow on.

@oldplodder Thanks for the update and I'm delighted that all is not lost. Remember Capita are employed as a filter and operate to guidelines laid down by the MOD. There are inevitably "grey areas" and it is easier for them to reject rather than chance letting through someone who is borderline. We would all like to know the eventual outcome as this acts as a guide to those who follow on.
@fishhead: thanks for getting back to me.
I've explained to my grandson over and over that CAPITA are no longer dealing with his situation, and that it's now up to the Navy appeals people whether or not he can move forward to a full medical examination via a Navy doctor. That will all depend upon the outcome of his EKG & ECG.
Today, he asked to speak to his careers advisor, who is not available at the moment. He asked for an e-mail explaining what the Navy require in order for him to present his case for appeal. He requires it as evidence in writing to show to his GP. Another staff member answered his request.
The e-mail he received pointed out that the EKG and ECG were required. However, it states that these tests did not necessarily mean that this would mean he would win his appeal. He was also advised incorrectly that he had been made PMU. I don't know where that comes from because his letter from CAPITA stated only that he was declared "medically unfit".
As I understand it PMU means that the candidate has a medical condition that is on the lengthy list that bars a candidate from entry to the service. "Medically unfit" strikes me as being something which isn't a complete bar to entering the service. That said, I can't find the definition of being declared "medically unfit," anywhere.
To me you are either TMU, PMU or fit for service. Maybe you can help me with that one. I'm just wondering if the author of the letter meant to declare him PMU, but only wrote "medically unfit." Seems ambiguous somehow. Thanks again.

Last edited:
@oldplodder even PMU, doesn't mean permanently unfit for ever, follow the process with his recruiter is his best bet, many have complained at how quick CAPITA are to down grade, potential New recruits.

@oldplodder even PMU, doesn't mean permanently unfit for ever, follow the process with his recruiter is his best bet, many have complained at how quick CAPITA are to down grade, potential New recruits.
@Sumo. Thank you again. I'm just puzzled as to why CAPITA have used the term "medically unfit" and not "permanently unfit." I can only read between the lines and consider that he has been left an opening. We shall certainly press on regardless. Thanks again.

Hi All, my youngest started the recruitment process in January, interviews, medicals, fitness, security all passed however their advisor says they have no idea when the dates are for the PRNC. Is this really true? We are now in a predicament as time is ticking to sign up for an HNC, apprenticeship or something else, it seems really unfair to keep someone waiting like this when there's a huge recruitment campaign for engineers shown on the TV and radio. Please can anyone advise? Thanks

Hi All, my youngest started the recruitment process in January, interviews, medicals, fitness, security all passed however their advisor says they have no idea when the dates are for the PRNC. Is this really true? We are now in a predicament as time is ticking to sign up for an HNC, apprenticeship or something else, it seems really unfair to keep someone waiting like this when there's a huge recruitment campaign for engineers shown on the TV and radio. Please can anyone advise? Thanks
always edge your bets, sign up for the HNC, if he starts and is doing well it will do him no harm, if he is well into the course, you can always ask the recruiters advice as to deferring entry to complete his HNC, may even open up other options for career in the navy.
Good luck

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
As I understand it PMU means that the candidate has a medical condition that is on the lengthy list that bars a candidate from entry to the service. "Medically unfit" strikes me as being something which isn't a complete bar to entering the service. That said, I can't find the definition of being declared "medically unfit," anywhere.
To me you are either TMU, PMU or fit for service. Maybe you can help me with that one. I'm just wondering if the author of the letter meant to declare him PMU, but only wrote "medically unfit." Seems ambiguous somehow. Thanks again.
TMU = Temporarily Medical Unfit. This means medical suitability for service has not yet been determined, pending the gathering of information. It doesn't relate to timescales.

PMU = Permanently Medically Unfit. This means that the individual is medically unfit for service at this moment in time. It could mean just today or it could mean forever.

PMU causes confusion because it means that for as long as the current circumstances exist, the individual is unfit to serve. For example someone that has a history of asthma needs to be 4 years free from asthma signs symptoms and treatment. If he/she is 3 years, 364 days free from asthma signs symptoms and treatment, they are PMU, not TMU. Tomorrow, providing the individual remains free from asthma signs symptoms and treatment, they can be passed fit to enter, but if they get another inhaler prescribed today they are PMU for another 4 years.

Capita usually say Medically Unfit because there is either more evidence required or the evidence currently available makes the person medically ineligible to join at present.

TMU = Temporarily Medical Unfit. This means medical suitability for service has not yet been determined, pending the gathering of information. It doesn't relate to timescales.

PMU = Permanently Medically Unfit. This means that the individual is medically unfit for service at this moment in time. It could mean just today or it could mean forever.

PMU causes confusion because it means that for as long as the current circumstances exist, the individual is unfit to serve. For example someone that has a history of asthma needs to be 4 years free from asthma signs symptoms and treatment. If he/she is 3 years, 364 days free from asthma signs symptoms and treatment, they are PMU, not TMU. Tomorrow, providing the individual remains free from asthma signs symptoms and treatment, they can be passed fit to enter, but if they get another inhaler prescribed today they are PMU for another 4 years.

Capita usually say Medically Unfit because there is either more evidence required or the evidence currently available makes the person medically ineligible to join at present.
@Ninja_Stoker : Thank you so much for that. Your final paragraph has cleared up any ambiguity as to why it was written in the letter which my grandson received. We shall now proceed with the necessary further ECG requirements and appeal accordingly. Much obliged.

always edge your bets, sign up for the HNC, if he starts and is doing well it will do him no harm, if he is well into the course, you can always ask the recruiters advice as to deferring entry to complete his HNC, may even open up other options for career in the navy.
Good luck

Hi Wilma, our son started at Raleigh on 8th July this year. He passed his selection interview with AFCO on 6th September 2017. Our AFCO was very helpful and had previously advised him that he should start an engineering course at the local college as it could take 12 to 18 months to get a start date with the RN. If he completed a year of the course he would get an extra qualification. If he got a start date before the course finished he could drop out and head off to Raleigh. As it turned out, he couldn't finish his course, but he did get valuable experience in maths and welding! Also, bear in mind that he missed a few days of college to go to iinterviews and his PRNC. He was informed of his joining date in January 2018 and got his PRNC date a couple of weeks later. His PRNC was about 5 or 6 weeks before his joining date. Also, the fitness test result only lasts six months so he had to do it again, no problem though.
Anyway, he's coming towards the end of week 2 at Raleigh now, and, although it's hard work and full on, he's absolutely loving it! Good luck!

Hi all our lad half way through werk 7 and talking about his passing out.after the parade what happens? Is he allowed shore leave to have dinner with his family? Stay over night with us at a cottage we have booked? When us he due back , been told he's being transported down to RNAS Culdrose on the Monday. Thanks in advance his mum very exited about coming down to see him.

Hi all our lad half way through werk 7 and talking about his passing out.after the parade what happens? Is he allowed shore leave to have dinner with his family? Stay over night with us at a cottage we have booked? When us he due back , been told he's being transported down to RNAS Culdrose on the Monday. Thanks in advance his mum very exited about coming down to see him.
He has the weekend off, back to Raleigh Sunday night and then on the coach first thing Monday morning so you'll have him for two nights.