Parents Page

toonstep

Midshipman
The lad is doing well 4 days in, kit cracked which has made his day before inspection tomorrow

Says he's hungry, or could be after some rations from mum..

Are there TVs to watch the World Cup the recruits can access?

pompeyexpat

War Hero
I honestly don’t know to be honest, though I’m sure live streaming will mean they could be watched on their phones anyway.

However, the majority of the games are during the training day anyway, and with the exception of a small number at the weekends the others are early evening when they really ought to be busy.

While it might not seem so to the recruits at the time, Raleigh isn’t that difficult - but it is full on. Time management is where a lot struggle, too eager to catch up with mates on social media, too willing to say to themselves ‘that’ll do’ when preparing kit so they can get in their phones. If he can grt everything done in the limited train between the end of training and pipe down then yea, get the footy on. But he needs to be sure everything’s done and done right.

England won’t make the group stages anyway.

toonstep

Midshipman
[QUOTE

England won’t make the group stages anyway.[/QUOTE]

That is pessimistic!!

They already have!!!

If you meant out, I'll have a sportsmens bet with you, that we top group on GD .
I think we'll go out in the Qtrs

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Truth is, I'm mostly kept busy dealing with complaints rather than compliments. Some very valid, some outright lies.

It's a bit like a Doctor's surgery: People understandably want things made better, but obviously don't come back when things are OK. Sometimes we have to remind people the complaint is trivial or entirely of their own making. Nevertheless, compliments are cherished due to rarity :)

The AFCO that has been helping my son has also been great. My son is waiting for a date for his medical
It has been such a long process for my son he had to do two PJFT's and unfortunately had a delayed PRNC and Raleigh date but his AFCO has continued to be great throughout the process and I am pleased to say that my son is finally going on his PRNC next week with a Raleigh start date in July all being well. Also @Ninja_Stoker's advice and support through this forum has also been fabulous ;)

Sumo

War Hero
there ou go
It has been such a long process for my son he had to do two PJFT's and unfortunately had a delayed PRNC and Raleigh date but his AFCO has continued to be great throughout the process and I am pleased to say that my son is finally going on his PRNC next week with a Raleigh start date in July all being well. Also @Ninja_Stoker's advice and support through this forum has also been fabulous ;)
there you @Ninja_Stoker stop blushing:D:p

toonstep

Midshipman
Hi, our lad has asked us to send him a few bits , can we send him an Amazon parcel or does it need to come from home.? Cheers

WreckerL

War Hero
Hi, our lad has asked us to send him a few bits , can we send him an Amazon parcel or does it need to come from home.? Cheers
You can send an Amazon parcel, just make sure you get his address right,especially which division he's in. No perishable foodstuff though.

oldplodder

Midshipman
Afternoon all and i hope I am starting this thread off in the proper manner. I'm asking for some advice
on behalf of my grandson 19 years, who resides with me and his grandmother. He applied to join the RN in February this year. He had a great interview and did well in his psychometric tests and that together with his qualifications led to him being offered training as an aircraft technician. He completed his medical report and answered everything as expected.
Three years ago he had been experiencing occasional mild chest pains occasionally which began about two years earlier . He was very fit and played regular football/handball and lots of athletics for his college. Despite my offering to take him to see his GP he always declined. We just put it down to growing pains (he is tall). However, he began having a few migraines so decided he would like to see his GP.
Tests established that he has a mild heart murmur. A subsequent echo cardiograph showed his heart to be sound.
CAPITA requested his full medical records which took eleven weeks for them to be processed from his GP.
Last week he received a letter from CAPITA, advising him that in view of the fact that his history showed that these pains had gone on for two years, they were unable to allow him to be recommended for admission to the service. The bottom line advising him as to how he should appeal.
He's naturally gutted. His current state of health is IMHO excellent and his BMI is spot on. He hasn't had a migraine nor experienced the chest pains since we first visited his GP almost three years ago.
Naturally he intends to appeal.
I've been through the PDF "PULLHHEEMS" until my eyes were virtually bloodshot (Lol!) looking for something which says his previous symptoms are on the list which would exclude him for entry. I could find nothing, except a brief sentence that mentions staff thoroughly examining a candidates medical record for anything which might become a problem in the future. But even that doesnt specifically put the brakes on his application to join the service.
He saw his GP earlier this week and he was recommended to ask BUPA for a full medical if he thinks that will help. I'm pretty certain that he would get a clean bill of health. He wants to move forward for a full medical via a Navy physician - that would do for him.
This afternoon I phoned the local BUPA hospital and a very helpful lady suggested that before he goes (me included) to great expense for a full medical examination, to first ask CAPITA what they want in a medical report to allow him to proceed further, as we could end up paying thousands for CAPITA to still refuse to allow him to proceed further.
He intends to have a word with his careers officer next week, but i though I'd come on here to see what some of you folks think. I've been a regular visitor to this site now for several months, which i find to be excellent.
Finally, have we reached a situation where there is nowhere left to go as CAPITA appear to be quite resolute in their wording? Thank you also for taking the trouble to read this. Sorry its a bit long.

fishhead

War Hero
@oldplodder I am no expert in the appeals system but it seems to me if they're advising your Grandson on how he can appeal there could be grounds for making one. If the dreaded words "Permanently Medically Unfit" haven't been applied anything is worth a try. There have been many cases on this forum where people have challenged the Capita decision and won and I sure someone will be able to tell you the best way to go about it.
Good luck to your Grandson in his endeavours.

oldplodder

Midshipman
@oldplodder I am no expert in the appeals system but it seems to me if they're advising your Grandson on how he can appeal there could be grounds for making one. If the dreaded words "Permanently Medically Unfit" haven't been applied anything is worth a try. There have been many cases on this forum where people have challenged the Capita decision and won and I sure someone will be able to tell you the best way to go about it.
Good luck to your Grandson in his endeavours.
@fishhead. I'm afraid those "dreaded words" do appear in his letter, just before they explain that his troublesome occasional pains prevent him from joining the services. His careers officer will, I'm sure, advise him if he is wasting his time.
Had we have told his GP three years ago that he'd only had the iintermittent pains a few weeks or more then he might have made it for the medical. But we weren't to know he would apply for the navy. Besides it would have been irresponsibLe not to have been completely truthful.
As it happens, he never discovered the cause of the problem and today is as fit as a flea. He's up before work three mornings a week keeping fit in the local gym before 6:30am. How something as simple as unexplained teenager pains can ruin a person's future is a real sore point. Cheers!

oldplodder

Midshipman
Bizarrely, PMU doesn't always mean permanent.
Seems like it's a pro-forma letter with the writer inserting the relevant bits as they deem fit. It does seem odd that something which is not mentioned anywhere can be a reason to describe somebody as "permanently unfit." My grandson was hoping that he would at least get a medical.
Thanks for reading my story and replying, both of you.

oldplodder

Midshipman
I am must be going daft in my old age. The wordings describes him as "medically unfit" not PERMENTLY medically unfit. Therefore he might still be in with a shout. It's just knowing how to get CAPITA to play ball.

Sumo

War Hero
I am must be going daft in my old age. The wordings describes him as "medically unfit" not PERMENTLY medically unfit. Therefore he might still be in with a shout. It's just knowing how to get CAPITA to play ball.
capita have guidelines, if anyone does not completely for in the box they put them as unfit, it is then up to the applicant to show/prove otherwise, the final day is with the real Naval doctors. Good luck to your grandson.

oldplodder

Midshipman
capita have guidelines, if anyone does not completely for in the box they put them as unfit, it is then up to the applicant to show/prove otherwise, the final day is with the real Naval doctors. Good luck to your grandson.
Cheers! That's given him some hope. He tried to speak with his careers advisor last week, and found himself speaking to a colleague who told him to appeal. Hopefully his CA might give him some further advice. It needs to be bottomed. It's as you have mentioned, he just wants to be examined by a Navy doctor. Thanks again.