Parents Page

Knotty

Lantern Swinger
open glass bit porthole, metal plate deadlight, had them on tribal class, I was a baby junior sent by my boss to chief posser for a deadlight fuse, thought what a twat won't get me again, he did, sent me to get the mess clock , long weight? Ho the heady whimsical day of being a junior sprog.
maybe my skimmer terminology is a bit rusty, it was 1975?

edited, does this level of piss take still go one, eg splash target coxswain? Or in the modern world of PC and tree huggers is this now classed as bullying?
I volunteered for splash target coxswain when on the Lynx (she was part of the standby squadron based out of Chatham). FFS what a bite. As a sprog I just couldn't take it in that it was a wind up given that the sign-off was by the skipper and I had visited MEO, WEO, SO etc to get the chit counter signed. I was absolutely shitting myself when it was explained what I would be doing :(:(:(
Never volunteered for anything or bit ever again & got one of my oppos (a Sparker) a right royal treat on the Plymouth. He actually went to the Navigating Officers cabin and asked him for the keys to the pool room! You should have seen his face and heard the expletives as he slid down the ladder into 3E mess upon his return :mad::mad::mad:

Genghis

Lantern Swinger
@Auddpre have you gone to the AFCO and done any tests yet?
Best advice anyone can give will be have a chat to your AFCO about that as that sounds like a re-trade after weapons Engineer jobby, when you go to your AFCO you'll be booked in for a initial test that basically says weather you have the mental aptitude for the role you choose. As for re-trading as an AET (I think that's what you mean by Aeronautical Engineer) after going into Weapons you can ask to move but I think it'll only be granted based on shortages and requirements etc. I reckon if you want to go for aeronautical Engineering you should apply for it from the start - you'll only be happy in the job that you go for if you haven't got your sights set on a different trade.

Hi all. I did 10 years in the Mob and my son has been waiting to join. It has now been two and a half years since he first set foot in the Careers office. I've got to say it has been a pretty poor experience for him. He is now on his 4th points of contact at the Careers office and each one has told him a different story. There have been cock ups with his medicals, not informed when he was due a fitness test etc etc. He is becoming increasingly disillusioned with the process. He passes a medical and fitness test every six months.
My question really is how long should it take to join? He has been informed that it may be October but he was also informed 5 months ago that it may be April (which is is now obviously not). he wants to join the Hydrogrophy branch which I realise would slow things down but 3 years seems a long time to wait. I have the feeling that the lack of continuity with the contact in the careers office has has a bearing on the time frame.
It is very frustrating as he really wants a career in the RN but his introduction to it has been less than efficient.
Any guidance ids greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Jnr begins week 10 on Monday, so me and 'she who must be obeyed' are travelling down to Raleigh for his pass out parade (all being well).

Spending a couple of day's in sunny Plymouth, any recommendations for things to see and do whilst were there (Jnr doing his own thing after pass out). Was thinking about Devonport Navy Heritage Centre ? Smeatons tower ? anything else you guys/gals would recommend. Where would be the best places to eat/drink Thurs/Fri.

Thanks for any advice, Cheers folks