Parents Page

Zeb

Lantern Swinger
Hello all!
I just wanted to shout to new Navy mum’s that my son is currently at HMS Raleigh and just completed week 4. Last night speaking with him was the first time he has sounded energised and fired up about the training which was a welcomed relief. So if your getting those calls that leave you feeling down because they are now pushed out of their comfort zone, tired frustrated missing home it will get better.....

On another matter, 2 failed kit musters anyone got top tips??
My son kept failing his and was on his last chance at the end of week 7
Luckily he passed and this was two years ago. I’m sure the other lads will help him, they want him to pass.
Have a look at the Facebook page Hms Raleigh parents it’s realky helpful to new mums

Thank you all for your responses, he failed the first due to a damp sock he dried to iron dry lol.. The 2nd was with support from those that pass first time but reading between the lines he took his eye off the ball. I know his failing is down to time management and cutting corners. Both of which I’ve told him are unacceptable and his level of commitment is testament to how badly he wants this career. I guess I asked the question to see if I could offer him further advice, a golden nugget from those who have gone through the process...

Thanks again for your time!

I hope I didn’t come over as overly harsh because I didn’t intend to. You’re right about cutting corners, I went through Raleigh myself (albeit 26 years ago) and it was no different then. I also saw my son pass out just over a month ago. He failed his first kit muster for what seemed like a minor infringement, but really was a decision he made that not perfect was good enough.

To outsiders, and most recruits, the standard required seems petty but that misses the point. Kit musters are just used as the mechanism for indoctrinating the recruits into understanding the high standard we expect. Once they realise that, and the possible consequences of failure to reach those standards, they tend to find themselves more willing to put in the extra effort.

Hi, not harsh at all. Like many of the other recruits he’s young and on a very steep learning curve. I just hope the other lads and his instructors can help him realise the importance of stepping up and taking responsibility. I know he’s really enjoying it now so I’m staying positive for the pass on Tuesday.

Appreciate your advice :)

Hi everyone. I received a letter from Raleigh about my fiance's passout date. As i live up north i will require a hotel room. Are there any hotels nearby as i do not drive so i will be relying on taxis to the parade. Any help is apreciated.

There are plenty of hotels and guest houses locally, including in Torpoint or just outside. Trip advisor is a good place to start. The closest is probably a place called ‘The Carbeille Inn’ which is about half a mile away, but I know the Mum of a recruit in my sons division used a guesthouse/b&b in Torpoint which I believe she thought was ok.

You should have received information about local places to stay with the passout letter.

We stayed in the Crown Plaza on the Hoe because we stayed there until the Saturday and wanted to be away from Raleigh.

My son is now at the stage of waiting to for a start date and to do the PRNC but he's been asked to register and complete some details on the portal (?) which isn't working and crashes every time. He's been waiting 3 or 4 weeks now and although he's as patient as can be - I'm finding it very frustrating on his behalf!

He has phoned whoever he needs to a couple of times but they haven't been able to tell him very much. Is this likely to drag on until they get this new software completely working?

My son is now at the stage of waiting to for a start date and to do the PRNC but he's been asked to register and complete some details on the portal (?) which isn't working and crashes every time. He's been waiting 3 or 4 weeks now and although he's as patient as can be - I'm finding it very frustrating on his behalf!

He has phoned whoever he needs to a couple of times but they haven't been able to tell him very much. Is this likely to drag on until they get this new software completely working?
@Ninja_Stoker any news on the portal?
do you need help from a WE?:)

That would be a deadlight on a scuttle then, porthole indeed, bloody barrack stanchions:rolleyes:
open glass bit porthole, metal plate deadlight, had them on tribal class, I was a baby junior sent by my boss to chief posser for a deadlight fuse, thought what a twat won't get me again, he did, sent me to get the mess clock , long weight? Ho the heady whimsical day of being a junior sprog.
maybe my skimmer terminology is a bit rusty, it was 1975?

edited, does this level of piss take still go one, eg splash target coxswain? Or in the modern world of PC and tree huggers is this now classed as bullying?

Last edited:

photface

Lantern Swinger
open glass bit porthole, metal plate deadlight, had them on tribal class, I was a baby junior sent by my boss to chief posser for a deadlight fuse, thought what a twat won't get me again, he did, sent me to get the mess clock , long weight? Ho the heady whimsical day of being a junior sprog.

edited, does this level of piss take still go one, eg splash target coxswain? Or in the modern world of PC and tree huggers is this now classed as bullying?
Don't know about now but it was still going when I left in 2012. Killer tomato bosun was a favourite of mine :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Open glass bit is the scuttle FFS :rolleyes: Had them on the Rusty B as did all warships pre-GMD and Leanders.

Open glass bit is the scuttle FFS :rolleyes: Had them on the Rusty B as did all warships pre-GMD and Leanders.
I bow to your superior knowledge, as it was a clanky bit looked after by chippies party, no electrical stuff involved? windows on targets, was that to see incoming?