Parents Page

Supportive Dad

Lantern Swinger
My son had his Raleigh briefing call today from his AFCO and also his rail warrant. 4 weeks on Monday. At long last his goal is in sight. We are working through the list of things to take and he has been practicing his ironing to A4 size. Keeping up his fitness too.

MrsDaPops

Midshipman
My son had his Raleigh briefing call today from his AFCO and also his rail warrant. 4 weeks on Monday. At long last his goal is in sight. We are working through the list of things to take and he has been practicing his ironing to A4 size. Keeping up his fitness too.
How exciting! Please let us know how it goes from a parent’s perspective. Wishing your son lots of luck.

C4ssiew

Hi, not sure if this is the right place to post, but has anyone on here got a son/daughter starting the Royal Marine training on 1st November 2021?

Eldest has her PRNC date on the 29th Nov. Capita came back yesterday asking for an ECG and echocardiogram to be done.

It's looking likely that the GP's won't refer as it's not a medical necessity in their eyes, and if they did the wait list would be past her joining date of 10th Jan!

Has anyone experienced this before?

Capita and navy medical are not being as helpful as I would like

shadyhawk

Midshipman
Eldest has her PRNC date on the 29th Nov. Capita came back yesterday asking for an ECG and echocardiogram to be done.

It's looking likely that the GP's won't refer as it's not a medical necessity in their eyes, and if they did the wait list would be past her joining date of 10th Jan!

Has anyone experienced this before?

Capita and navy medical are not being as helpful as I would like
This happens often with capita, if they don't clear your daughter in time she will get a new start date at a later point (provided they pass her). Pestering them through email or phone, saying that she leaves on the 10th is the best thing to do. I had a similar issue where they didn't pass me until 5 days before I left for Raleigh (over trivial things) and other lads never got theirs done in time and had to wait for another intake. My AFCO also pushed them to get it sorted in time. Good luck

Branch-Hopper

War Hero
Capita and navy medical are not being as helpful as I any of us would like
I'm afraid that the Capita recruitment system is not fit for purpose and issues of this type are, sadly, the norm rather the exception.

I realise that my comment helps not one jot, but please don't feel you are alone.
Bring it to the attention of this chap, who you will find on LinkedIn:

Pete Viney​

Head of Attraction & Recruitment for the Royal Navy​

I'm afraid that the Capita recruitment system is not fit for purpose and issues of this type are, sadly, the norm rather the exception.

I realise that my comment helps not one jot, but please don't feel you are alone.
Bring it to the attention of this chap, who you will find on LinkedIn:

Pete Viney​

Head of Attraction & Recruitment for the Royal Navy​

Brilliant thank you! The next stage was twitter

They basically seem to want us to pay private, at nearly £1k. I'm refusing as they should have a system in place to deal with this

Chris P

War Hero
I don't understand what twatter will achieve, this is the RN you're talking about not social media, Capita may not be fit for purpose but it is the recruitment system as it stands currently. It's your option, get on your GP's back to help you, cough up the cash to help your daughter or take it as it comes, if you look back through some of the threads on here you will find members who have done just that, got on with it and been successful.

Indignantly stamping your foot, getting on twatter, stirring the brown stuff and saying they should have a system in place will not achieve anything - remember it's your daughter that wants to join, the mob is not asking her to join and until she does her value will not be known either way.

Last edited:
I don't understand what twatter will achieve, this is the RN you're talking about not social media, Capita may not be fit for purpose but it is the recruitment system as it stands currently. It's your option, get on your GP's back to help you, cough up the cash to help your daughter or take it as it comes, if you look back through some of the threads on here you will find members who have done just that, got on with it and been successful.

Indignantly stamping your foot, getting on twatter, stirring the brown stuff and saying they should have a system in place will not achieve anything - remember it's your daughter that wants to join, the mob is not asking her to join and until she does her value will not be known either way.
Fair enough, it wouldn't do anything except allow me to vent!

I'll don't see why the NHS should cover it if honest, I feel like capita and the MOD should have things in place for this. But that's another thing in itself.

Now off to find £1k and Try and get an appt before PRNC

Sumo

War Hero
Fair enough, it wouldn't do anything except allow me to vent!

I'll don't see why the NHS should cover it if honest, I feel like capita and the MOD should have things in place for this. But that's another thing in itself.

Now off to find £1k and Try and get an appt before PRNC
Ask Capita where do you send the bill for derisking there contract with the MoD.