Parents Page

Discussion in 'Joining the Royal Navy' started by janner, Apr 27, 2017.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

For all of those whose offspring are in the joining up or just joined the Royal Navy stage. It will keep all queries together and make for an easier reference point for those seeking information.

• Like Like x 2
    • Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. This is great thanks janner:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. BZ @janner.

[When does the Grandparent's Page appear? Just asking for a friend, like...]

• Like Like x 1
  4. @MotivatingMum - my youngest passed recruitment test Feb 2016. He was originally wanting to go in the RM but after many months deliberating he decided against it. This slowed the process down but by September he had decided to go for WS. Triage call from nurse was in October and he had his medical in Jan. TMU for High BP but we knew it was nerves. 24 hr BP tape booked in March and results sent off to Capita. They passed him fit about 3-4 weeks later and he passed the PJFT this month.
    My eldest passed his recruitment test in Sept 2016 and is going in as CIS. He had his medical which he passed in March. I think we hit the time when Capita were really slow. Within a few days of passing medical he had his fitness test and given an entry date about a week later. So similar stages for both of them. Hope this info helps.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Thanks for the information. My son has his medical in three weeks so keeping everything crossed for then.

6. @Mrs Plum I totally agree with you about the AFCOs the one that my son has been dealing with has been great.

(Thought I would be a little cheeky and reply on this page as it was set up especially for us ;) )

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

One of the things I've found is that the Parent & Partner section on royalmarines.uk gets particularly well-used during training when communications are, at best, sparse in relation to usual day to day contact at home.

The other thing that can cause consternation is when a youngish son/daughter rings home, they tend to download all their woes - usually on poor Mum. Once the recruit has had a good moan, very often over-egging the amount or severity of floggings, kit musters and keel-haulings we give them. The folks at home are left reeling whilst their little darling skips-off merrily with his new found oppos, feeling much better having transferred his/her angst, neglecting to inform Mum, Dad or Partner that everything's much better now...

• Like Like x 4
  8. To add yo Ninja, if it's not the pile of woes, it is often I need x, y or very important for the survival, along the lines of phone Broke, can you add credit to phone, bank account etc. Take a step back and think phone out of credit? Who have they been calling not me, money for? They get a place to sleep and are fed and watered regularly, the stables and feeding troffs are good quality and kept very clean, by them.
    sometimes being tuff love mummy and daddy does no arm, if they need polish, dohby dust iron etc, that is needed, take note how often the little tikes try to blag stuff. Red cross parcels could be sent.
    They are having the time of their lives, they just don't know it yet.
    When next they call tell them about the fantastic holiday you are going on, now you don't spend a fortune feeding them, always goes down well.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  9. My son goes to Raleigh in October after a long wait, so many mixed feelings but mainly excitement, he's at college at the min doing public services as advised but his afco who has been very hit and miss through this whole process, he is still maintaining his fitness

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ninja_Stoker

I think one of the things we all tend to get frustrated with is communications or lack of.

Where we, the AFCO tends to struggle is simply getting hold of the applicant and of course, vice versa.

Many young people change their phones more often than their clothes and very often claim to have no credit on their phones to return calls. Those under age 20 tend to prefer communicating through WhatsApp or text rather than by voice and most will studiously ignore a "withheld number" which is often what happens with outgoing landline calls on the MoD telephone network.

Nowadays we tend to use emails rather than letters but a lot of young people view emails as "old hat" as older people view letters through the post.

One of the major leaps forward is all careers advisers are now issued a service smartphone in order that they may communicate with their candidates more easily...assuming the candidate is given their Careers Adviser's work mobile number. If not - ASK!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ninja_Stoker

12. I'll give that a miss Ninja but thanks:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Are you certain?

What are your engineering skills like . . . ? :p

14. Ninja_Stoker

Funnily enough, the advice offered on that forum is remarkably similar to the careers advice offered here and on Facebook and Twitter official recruiting channels. Only the usernames differ.

15. yep can't see me and my gammy legs passing basic again.
    Eng. Skills I get by but some of the stuff I look after is older than me.
    the pay drop would be a ball aches, standards to maintain when sober.

• Like Like x 1
  16. that's cus u media savy and get round a bit

17. Ninja_Stoker

There is that. Plus the fact I can only swear on unofficial sites.

Poo.

See? :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. anything more than that and it would be censored
    shit bollacks twat

edited
    wow no auto correct or censor police, must have gone W/E

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. You mean to tell me that some parents don't just constantly take the piss and ask intentionally stupid questions like "have you got to learn an instrument," when they see RM band on a pass out video, or the current favourite "what do you mean submarines don't have windows,"

20. Hi there,
    Some already know this but for any first time lookers, my son has passed his RT and had his interview, he is waiting for his medical phone call which is this week, he is going in as a sea spec (or general dogs body if you read the comments on this forumwhich he is well aware of) we are all really proud of him:)
    He is my eldest and is 17, he officially left school on Friday but still has 3 exams to sit in May. He had wanted to join the RN since he was 12 so all is going in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  21. Ninja_Stoker

Best of luck to him. All jobs, as I'm sure you are aware, may involve tasks that others consider menial.

As a Marine Engineering Mechanic, I was oblivious of the fact I may find myself up to my elbows in human waste when cleaning a sewerage treatment plant, fighting a fire in a magazine loaded with explosives or getting splattered with blood & snot from a casualty but to be fair, none of those things happened more than once.

The tip for Sea Spec - learn morse code before you join and don't think for one minute the day to day job involves bombing about in fast boats, it doesn't