Parent's can have models made of their dead babies

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Jenny_Dabber, Feb 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I don't think this is above board, how are people supposed to get over their babies deaths by having a model of them?

Could this not pose as more of a problem to bring on depression rather than to help?

What do you think?

2. This really is sick
  3. Seems more of a con job - I bet the 'artist' will be making (no pun intended) a bomb out of family grief.
  4. Re: Parents can have models made of their dead babies

That isn't easing their grief - just prolonging it. A bit like keeping their bedroom the way it was when they died.
  5. Spooky, a bit like people who keep ashes and stuff in the house, even came across someone who had their dog's ashes on the mantlepiece.
    Dead is dead, but I suppose if it helps them......
  6. only word really - twisted
  7. Who me??? Or the house of wax weirdos?
  8. Thats really twisted. It makes you wonder what kind of a sick mind could have thought up such an idea.

9. Can we get these models to take part in babies favourite activity - filling it's nappy! WOW
  10. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I don't think this is sick or twisted - just very very sad... we had the hand and foot prints plus photos and that was fine. We have 2 fantastic children now who are happy to visit the grave etc etc - but how you would explain away a doll to them goodness only knows.
  11. That's the biggie mate, who would even dream of something like this? I have nothing but the deepest sympathy for bereaved parents, I can only imagine how hard it must be to lose a child, and if they think that doing this might ease their grief just a little, then fair enough.
    Personally I don't see how it could make things easier for them, it's almost like saying "look at what you could have had!".
    I do think that anyone who may have thought this up, in order to cash in on people's grief, is utter scum.
  12. Artists are usually very weird people, especially those who hope to exhibit their work in the Tate Modern Gallery. However, I'm not so sure that these models really are sick or twisted.

It is quite the norm for people to take countless photographs of their babies, and home videos are popular. Both are just methods of preserving memories of times that have gone. So why should making a doll based on the child be any different? Are the mannequins in Madame Tussauds sick or twisted? The doll could be explained to brothers and sisters to show them what their late brother or sister used to look like. How big he/she was, how much he/she weighed, it just gives an idea. A better idea than can be achieved by looking at old photographs and watching home videos.

What is sick and twisted is if the grieving parents looked to the doll as some form of replacement, as if the doll actually was the dead child that they lost. In this case such a model would certainly be dangerous to the parent's sanity.

So in conclusion, the models themselves aren't sick nor twisted, nor is the artist of any particular disgusting mind. But the mentally unstable parent still in mourning is in need of counsel and serious psychological help if they look to the doll as anything other than a three-dimensional photograph.
  13. sick feckers....
  14. A very sick thing to even contemplate doing to me :cry:
  15. I can't quite believe it's real. Surpsrised that someone thought of it. I suppose if it helps... Though it doesn't seem like it would, though i pray i'll never have to know. It doesn't seem like photos, the dolls are just representing your child. That seems odd to me. Each to their own i suppose...

Just actually read the article... this quote shocked me: “Just because a baby has died doesn’t mean they should be forgotten". As though any parent could ever forget a lost child!

The artist is obviously very talented, and i agree with one commenter, that the dolls make souvenir of a child's babyhood. But for children that died so young, it seems like such a lifelike object (beating heart!) it would be absolute torture for a parent.
  16. I cant really speak for how parents feel for the loss of their children as i'm not a father at this time. I have however experienced the anguish of having to explain to the parents of a little lad of 7 weeks why the doctors are putting tubes down his throat and why he keeps arresting, not a good day. I would say that these "artist" are cashing in on the sadness and anguish of the parents for their own financial means.

17. Of course you Ling - but we have known for ages :wink:
  18. [​IMG]
  19. Bloody hell no way, this is very weird and sick
  20. Kinell, it's the mother in law.