Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

paras vs marines

Put it this way, there are just a handful of 'commando' trained paras but there are plenty of 'para' trained Marines. Also, the Paras are becoming obsolete because there 'skills' are NEVER going to be used again in a hostile environment, could you imagine the glee on the faces of the enemy if 30-40 C130 Hercules' rolled up and mass dropped 3 battalions of Paras? It would be a turkey shoot. It's harsh but true!

Flip, welcome to RR mate. The use of the parachute isn't obsolete, just the mass deployment of it. The Paras are damn fine soldiers. I'm not getting into a dick waving competition but they are fine infantrymen, touch gung ho and daft but, hey ho, no one's perfect.

They also have a tendancy to shag the same kind of women for a laugh as bootnecks.

I have heard a few people say that parachuting is outdated in warfare( mass parachuting anyway), but although obv conventional war is not a immediate threat at the mo, I dont see why in a conventional warfare scenario it would be any less useful than it has been in previous conflicts.

Apologies if that seems like a dumb statement, feel free to enlighten me anyone!

Sorry, that wasnt a parachute reg specific comment, it was just a general parachuting query.

i'll quietly crawl back in me hole :thumright:

Sorry fellas, didn't mean to offend anyone, just an observation from years gone by. Mass parachuting is a thing of the past but it's vital for smaller recce units and special forces. I've worked closely with the Paras though and they ARE good soldiers, mad as a box of frogs though! My friends son is thinking of joining them so I can't be too harsh can I?

AS an ex matelot who has both red and green lids (148 bty) I feel vaguely qualified to comment, and would say that both Booties and Paras are equally profesional, bot have equally demanding selection processes and both are equally as full of themselves! Each will offer you demanding and challenging careers, it just depends on how much sea time you're after, I'm not sure whether you've checked out the amount of amphibious shipping the RN has now got, but it means that Royal is likely to spend as much time at sea in the future as Jack

pastrdp said:
...depends on how much sea time you're after, I'm not sure whether you've checked out the amount of amphibious shipping the RN has now got, but it means that Royal is likely to spend as much time at sea in the future as Jack

Except that Fleet can't afford to have them at sea to much!!

IMD

finknottle said:
I think it is fair to say that your Royal Marine is more of a thinking soldier as opposed to your wind em up and let em go types.

There may be some truth in this popular assertion, but Paras are notoriously opinionated (not, BTW, a bad thing, IMO!), and in my experience most are pretty independently minded: not the "mindless attack dogs" of PIRA/ SF propaganda. At Goose Green, for example, the battle was "fought out" very much at section/ fire team level by by small groups of, usually very young, "Toms" & JNCOs thinking for themselves, adapting their training, and applying a lot of individual initiative. The ground was horribly open/ lacking cover, and the only "wind em up and let em go" type charge was conducted by someone who should have known better.

I've found, broadly, that Marines & Paras tend to be remarkably similar types (although it's probably true that the average Marine is a little better formally educated than the average Para ), and by and large who joins which is likely to be determined by such factors as family connections/ service traditions ( both RM & Para Reg attract large numbers of sprogs of serving/ former members); friendship/ acquaintance with serving/ ex members, and - to some extent - geography. Although both recruit from all over the UK, Paras tend to come from the large urban conurbations (eg London, NE, Scottish Lowland Belt, W Midlands, W Yorks, S Wales etc); Marines are more likely to have rural/ small town backgrounds, esp Scottish Borders & Highlands, SW England etc..

As for officers, well at the risk of generalising, I'll observe that Para Reg officers tend either to be "quite posh", or determined to be as coarse and brutishly boneheaded as possible! Marine officers tend, in my experience, to find the "middle ground" a little more readily.

snorko said:
Another one to add to the argument. I know that both the Paras and the Booties are at the top of the tree, however are there any other ARMY regiements that are of of the same standard, or which ones are approaching it!

Yes, in fact all the Dutch Regiments are at the peak of the tree :w00t:

FFS ! Is this "my todger is bigger than yours"thing still goin on?

AGGhhhh what is it with this Crazy Dutchman, OOoppsss sorry it was Wessexman this time reinvigorating an Asked and Answered thread. Still better late than never and good points they are too.
Now can we move on to the RAF Regiment, glorified airport security or what?
ZZzzzzzzz... uh...just resting my eyes Sir, honest.
NZB

Wessex_Man said:
finknottle said:
I think it is fair to say that your Royal Marine is more of a thinking soldier as opposed to your wind em up and let em go types.

There may be some truth in this popular assertion, but Paras are notoriously opinionated (not, BTW, a bad thing, IMO!), and in my experience most are pretty independently minded: not the "mindless attack dogs" of PIRA/ SF propaganda. At Goose Green, for example, the battle was "fought out" very much at section/ fire team level by by small groups of, usually very young, "Toms" & JNCOs thinking for themselves, adapting their training, and applying a lot of individual initiative. The ground was horribly open/ lacking cover, and the only "wind em up and let em go" type charge was conducted by someone who should have known better.

I've found, broadly, that Marines & Paras tend to be remarkably similar types (although it's probably true that the average Marine is a little better formally educated than the average Para ), and by and large who joins which is likely to be determined by such factors as family connections/ service traditions ( both RM & Para Reg attract large numbers of sprogs of serving/ former members); friendship/ acquaintance with serving/ ex members, and - to some extent - geography. Although both recruit from all over the UK, Paras tend to come from the large urban conurbations (eg London, NE, Scottish Lowland Belt, W Midlands, W Yorks, S Wales etc); Marines are more likely to have rural/ small town backgrounds, esp Scottish Borders & Highlands, SW England etc..

As for officers, well at the risk of generalising, I'll observe that Para Reg officers tend either to be "quite posh", or determined to be as coarse and brutishly boneheaded as possible! Marine officers tend, in my experience, to find the "middle ground" a little more readily.

Quite a good post, bag of spuds on both shoulders which is nice to see.

Now in my opinion The Paras and the Marines undoubtabley have a larger penis than the RAF regiment, What the fcuk is this "BIG 3" shite they go on about? 3 what, big fat munters? 3 w@nks a day (lightwieghts..) 3 steps to heaven? 3 times a lady? :scratch:

Latest Threads