Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

paras vs marines

"and SBS old frog and wings,and something to be proud of you don't get them for nothing!!!! Oh and the extra pay's cool!!!
Look, I don't want to sound narked or anything! They told me that I was joining the Underwater Prostitutes Club! All you have to do is jump out of the back end of a box, land in the water and then you can fcuk everything in front of you!

What they didn't say was that the box was a herc, the water was the 'oggin, and the sex at the end of it was when you eventually got to where Andrew had promised to pick you up, and you were totally sha gged out! Quite often he didn't show, so you might have another seventy or eighty clicks to get to the next pick-up - Well Fcuked!

Extra Pay! The Sneaky Bar Stewards never told me that!

OSD

Do what you want to do, not what you are told is the best, but think on what you want to do when you finish either the RM or PARAS, as you will need a skill or trade when you leave the services !!!!!!!!!

rugger_bob said:
Do what you want to do, not what you are told is the best, but think on what you want to do when you finish either the RM or PARAS, as you will need a skill or trade when you leave the services !!!!!!!!!
Agreed, as many have found out to their cost!

OSD

kalum28 said:
I have another question though who gets the most action
Horizontal action or vertical?

For the horizontal - Guzz was good, Pompey was poor and Newcastle was full of very willing nubile nymphets! The Royals always got 'best value'! However, that was a long time ago, and may have had something to do with that long-gone tradition of wearing one's uniform ashore!

If you're not vegetarian, I have heard it said that you can get crabs almost anywhere on a Saturday night!

For the vertical action, join the pongoes, and just stand around looking like a spikey object, and wait for something to happen!

If, on the other hand, you are referring to having people pointing things that could hurt you. Who actually wants to be in that situation?

Having served in some of the shy toles around the world, I did it because I was very good at my job, and believed in what I was doing. I certainly wasn't there for the potential of some 'action', and neither were the others in the team!

Just like good sex, in-out and gone!

OSD

thebus said:
sadmann_insane!! said:
True para wings are seen as unit identity for there in BPT 's symbol and SBS old frog and wings,and something to be proud of you don't get them for nothing!!!! Oh and the extra pay's cool!!!

The most recent, and to date, the last combat drop by the Paras, took place at Suez, when they joined French forces to protect the shipping canal after Egypt's President Nasser ‘nationalised' the international waterway.

In November 1956, Lt Col Paul Crook, commanding officer of the 3rd Battalion Parachute Regiment, was told to prepare his Cyprus based unit for an operation. But with the 'run-down' of airborne forces after the war, equipment was in short supply.

The plan, jointly agreed with French military commanders, called for 3 Para to parachute into a 'hot DZ' - held by the enemy - where they expected to face a fierce battle against 2,000 Egyptian troops, who were supported by armour.

Operation Musketeer would need the element of total surprise if it was to succeed, and all 660 men had to be on the ground at El Gamil airfield and ready for action within four and a half minutes.

Aircraft were covered in a coat of 'Gentian violet', a blue coloured medication, in a bid to camouflage them against the bright rays of the rising sun. In addition the airstrip at El Gamil was very narrow and the drop height had to be restricted to 700ft or less, in order to avoid soldiers being swept off the DZ by crosswinds.

A further move which was not popular with the Battalion, was the decision not to wear reserve parachutes - due to the fact that they would not have the chance to use them at such low level.

The Brigade had hardly enough aircraft for a single battalion lift. The Hastings and Valettas were unable to carry heavy equipment and at that time, the new Beverley transporters were not yet available.

At 04.15 hours on November 5, 1956, 3 Para jumped in and although opposition was heavy, casualties were few. The unit medical officer, Lt Sandy Cavanagh, was shot in the eye as he descended to the DZ, as well as a dozen other injuries sustained on the ground.

The Egyptians had been supplied with Soviet weapons and on the second day a Russian Mig fighter strafed the Paras, causing two casualties. It was a 'one-off incident, regarded as a show of strength by the Red Air Force against world opinion.

A sergeant, who was one of the first out of the door at Suez, still remembers his concern for the unexpected 'We were nervous, nobody really knew what to expect, but as soon as we left the aircraft, they started firing at us . . . The airfield was covered with oil drums to stop aircraft landing and once we had cleared it, we made our way to Port Said. There was quite a bit of fighting and we took a few injuries, but nothing to shout about'.

At Port Said, 2 Para came ashore, but within a week a ceasefire had been announced and the regiment pulled out, heading back to Cyprus. World opinion had forced Britain and France to withdraw their forces.

The Battalion had acted in the highest traditions of the Parachute regiment, but the regiment had not been prepared for the operation and new equipment was desperately needed.

I did say brigade.
Regards the last post I think you will find that as well as the last op-drop 45 cdo was the first unit to be involved with an operational helecopter assault. As for which to join a lot of good stuff and some rubbish has been posted, I did 27 years RM & RMR and have no regrets. At the end of the day you pays your money and take your chances, so to speak. What ever you choose good luck.

Thebus, have alook at this http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6092170.stm :lol:

Sorry, but this is just absolutely priceless...

Some Tabloid Hack said:
4 marines hold off 200 Taliban
FOUR Royal Marine commandos fought off an ambush by 200 Taliban fighters in Afghanistan, it emerged yesterday...
The heroes were helped by soldiers from the Afghan National Army...

So surely the headline should have been "The Afghan National Army (helped by 4 Marines) holds off 200 Taliban."

I mean, the further you read the article past the "look at me!" headline, the less and less like the Battle of Thermoplyae it sounds...

Scribes said:
Sorry, but this is just absolutely priceless...

Some Tabloid Hack said:
4 marines hold off 200 Taliban
FOUR Royal Marine commandos fought off an ambush by 200 Taliban fighters in Afghanistan, it emerged yesterday...
The heroes were helped by soldiers from the Afghan National Army...

So surely the headline should have been "The Afghan National Army (helped by 4 Marines) holds off 200 Taliban."

I mean, the further you read the article past the "look at me!" headline, the less and less like the Battle of Thermoplyae it sounds...

The bootnecks don't write the articel's mate! :roll:

Oh I agree, no disrespect to the Booties involved who I've no doubt did exactly what they were trained to do and did it bloody well, but the standard of journalism in that article is pretty much what you'd expect.

It was always pretty cool to wind-up Les Paras. I worked with Airborne Forces a lot and was once part of a Charlie call-sign attached to a Bravo call-sign; my humble opine is that an RM recce troop always had the edge over a Para patrol company and an RM Commando always had the edge over a Para Battalion. This had little to do with fitness or training but I found that the average marine was a little smarter than the average para and much more adept at thinking situations out logically. Having said that I was padding around Belfast in civvies when 40 had a negligent discharge with a Charlie G. [inside a building]. Much embarrassment for me but the cherry beret I was with was really good in not taking the piss about it too much......

Scribes said:
Oh I agree, no disrespect to the Booties involved who I've no doubt did exactly what they were trained to do and did it bloody well, but the standard of journalism in that article is pretty much what you'd expect.

Agree totally fella,infact i've not bought a news paper in years because half the time there full of sh*t or footballers with f*cked up wives. I would have thought the bootnecks involved(and yes they were recce)controlled the situation and got themselves out of the sh*t with help from the ANA,hopefully there astute attitude has got them a quality gong to hang of their blues?? :wink:

Ive passed selection for the parachute regiment, and thought it was quite easy, but the run time is harder than the marines!!. Im going to try for the marines aswell. In my opion the Marines and Paras are just as good as each other, but they have diffrent roles. The paras are shock troops and their job is to go behind enemy lines and create as much havoc as possible. The marines are amphibious assault troops so they do like commando stuff like hit and run jobs. But at the minute in Iraq and Afghanistan they are both doing the same stuff, so its what ever is most appealing to you mate.

Latest Threads