Parallel dips

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by ollie123, Apr 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I need to practise these but I have no where to do so.

Can anyone recommend somewhere around the home?
  2. Between two chairs is probably your best bet

The problem is it can become unstable so you could either put something on both of the seats or if your lucky the things will be heavy enough/have wide enough bases to stay still. They become a lot harder(for me atleast) when the object you're gripping onto is shaking
  3. i get the missus and the girlie next door to help

get on all fours on twins beds about 3 feet apart.

then place one hand on each rump and double dip away
  4. I assume you're using the backs of the chairs to do the dips while your body is in a vertical position. I do my dips by placing my feet on the seat of a chair and my hands on the seat of another chair. This provides a stable base without the chairs wobbleing or feeling like I'm about to fall over.

Like this Dips but I support my feet on a chair - places more weight on your arms with the higher your feet are.

This does mean that you are pressing less weight because your feet are supported (than the parallel bar method) but you can always add more weight by placing weights on your lap.

Hope this helps.
  5. Yep, that is what i meant. If you're meant to be doing proper dips, i would do just that (assuming you can do them easily enough) as they dont work your body in the exact same way. I have also heard that adding weight when your legs are supported on a chair could lead to injuries but i suppose the same could be said with doing any exercise incorrectly.

You could also try to do them on any 2 equally elevated surfaces. Between a table and a worksurface....anything like that(just as long as they are close together, it gets harder as they're further apart and it hurts my shoulders doing them like that)

edit: realised you're not the OP so you can ignore everything past the first sentence as it wasn't directed at you
  6. so what's wrong with my way then
  7. Nothing, but if it was me, I wouldn't get enough of a work out of my triceps :money: