Parade order

Shipmates, we all know that Royal Navy squads march at the front of a parade when in company with Percy Pongo and the Crabfats and of course just behind the band....and we all know it's because we are the senior service... because we are the oldest... but is it laid down anywhere that we MUST be first..is there a BR somewhere that says so? Or is it just down to tradition?

On our Remembrance day the RBL veterans march first, followed by the RNA then RAFA.

Sadly the Serving units is from Wyton and mostly Pongo's now with a token Matelot and a few crabs.

Dusty70

War Hero
True dit - I was IS platoon at Pembroke when we were told we were going to be guard of honour at the Duke of Beaufort's memorial service at Westminster Abbey in a week's time (1986 ?)

Nothing but drill for the next week

Loaded into minibus in No 1s - off to London - quick stop told 1 pint only or else

Get to Westminster shown into a room 'to change' - explained we were already 'changed'

In come 12 Coldstream Guards and 12 robots from RAF Regiment all immaculate - then they changed into 'absolutely pristine' dress uniforms

Coldstream Guards RSM in charge - had apoplexy when he inspected us (no haircuts, caos with marks, general sacks of shite etc)

Gave Platoon PO massive bollocking and said he would be putting us all on a charge

Then he made his big mistake - as we were Senior Service we were to be first lining the steps as people entered the Abbey - therefore the crabfats would march first, followed by pongos then us

Worked it out ? ....they march faster than us and promptly disappeared into the distance, they had to mark time in the road until we caught up and..........................we were put on another charge

Few beers on way back - bollocking from OOD (RSM had already got to him) - I think we all got 2 days No 10s (whatever they were ??) as the Commander took a dim view of being shouted at by a pongo

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
According to QR(Army) J8 006 Amdt 37 May 19, the RN has precedence on combined parades, RM and QARNNS are classed as RN Contingent.

I'm sure someone knows the Act of Parliament or Royal Decree that makes it so but from what I can find on the interweb it's down to the RN being initially Kings ships (from before Alfred the Great) and the army were just militias raised and paid for for the duration of any conflict, only becoming a permanent national force with Oliver Cromwell.

This is why, up until the last 10 years or so, the RN never swore allegiance to the Crown as the RN was down to Royal Assent. Pongos and crabs swore allegiance as they were raised due to an Act of Parliament.

Happy to be corrected on all that though.

According to QR(Army) J8 006 Amdt 37 May 19, the RN has precedence on combined parades, RM and QARNNS are classed as RN Contingent.

I'm sure someone knows the Act of Parliament or Royal Decree that makes it so but from what I can find on the interweb it's down to the RN being initially Kings ships (from before Alfred the Great) and the army were just militias raised and paid for for the duration of any conflict, only becoming a permanent national force with Oliver Cromwell.

This is why, up until the last 10 years or so, the RN never swore allegiance to the Crown as the RN was down to Royal Assent. Pongos and crabs swore allegiance as they were raised due to an Act of Parliament.

Happy to be corrected on all that though.
That row come up on FB every now and then, ex matelots "swearing" they "swore" allegiance back in the 60's/70's.... I didn't and I joined up in 85.

Last edited:

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
That row come up on FB every now and then, ex matelots "swearing" the "swore" allegiance back in the 60's/70's.... I didn't and I joined up in 85.
It came in at Raleigh around the 2007 mark, just as I was leaving IIRC. I joined in 1973 and certainly didn't do it then.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Was it the Armed Forces Act that brought it in for the RN, I think that was what started trying to pull all three Services into similar terms and conditions.

Ballistic

War Hero
The only thing I swore when I joined at Fisgard in '77 was under my breath at the RPO who picked me up for a haircut as soon as I signed on. :rolleyes:

Fair play to him really, he didn't have much to work with :D

1956 for me..Was there not something about you not being able to make Press ganged men to swear allegiance hence the Kings/Queens shilling?

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
For the hard of reading...........

Q11 Why has the Royal Navy not been required to swear allegiance to the Sovereign?
Between 1688 and 1871 the Royal Navy swore two oaths:

• — to be faithful and bear true allegiance to the Sovereign; and

• — to abhor, detest and abjure the damnable doctrine that princes excommunicated by the Pope may be deposed or murdered by their subjects.
The Act which required these oaths was repealed by the Promissory Oaths Act 1871 and the law in respect of oaths became that enacted in the 1868 Act of the same name. The 1868 Act stated that nothing in the Act affected "any oath required to be taken in the Army, Marines, Yeomanry or Volunteers": the Royal Navy were overlooked due to an error by government lawyers.
The Royal Navy therefore abandoned the oath in 1871 but, for the purposes of commonality in enlistment procedures, has agreed to its re-introduction for new joiners.