Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by banarama2013, Jan 29, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good evening, recently seen a document (think it was a pull out from a book) with images showing the ranks and insignia in the royal navy. Under speciality there was an insignia for paratrooper, I was wondering what branch and what job would one become a paratrooper? A search showed very little information, most useful was a dated post about the STC branch.

Sent from my HTC One S using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app
  2. That would be SPAG. Submarine Parachute Assistance Group

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  3. Brilliant.
  4. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

The STC branch would be right up there with allocations for the Para course but there's a few other branches as well, I seem to recall the pongos next door getting all frothy mouthed about a picture of a wren with her wings up, I cant remember what branch she was, possibly a medic.
  5. Unless it's changed recently, SPAG members have their own badge. To spin a dit, on one boat I was on the new cox'n joined and made a point of wearing his jacket on day 1 flashing his SPAG badge to everyone until the Chief Stoker pointed at it and asked him how long he'd been a balloonist, the jacket disappeared after that :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 5
  6. Are SPAG still part of black ops liaison.
  7. Who knows, Sharkey, who knows?
    • Like Like x 1
  8. For some reason they just use the normal para badge now. Not sure why as to qualify for it you are supposed to do an 'arduous' course such as P coy or AACC.
  9. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

There has been much talk on this subject and the end result is they're not entitled to wear wings, just the SPAG lightbulb.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It still baffles me why it's necessary to do an arduous course to fall from an aeroplane.

Question is - did this boat have to do the same course?

• Like Like x 1

11. I beleive so Ninj, the course is held once a year in the Emilia-Romagna region of Italy, in the city of Bologna. The passing out dinner for the course is the stuff of legend, a massive hill of pasta surmounted by meatballs specially crowned with the produtti di Parma, reggiano cheese. I hear there's even a secret regimental song know only to those who've passed the course, entitling the wearer of the lightbulb to add the flash SPAG-BOL to their shoulder.
    • Like Like x 3
  12. There seems to be a WREN in a bondage harness in this phot.
  13. What would worry me, if I was a member of the SUBMARINE PAG, is looking out the hole at the back of the airey plane and seeing land......

Is the floppy boat there to provide a soft landing in that case?
    • Like Like x 2
  14. It's not a boat it's a SPAG Wren bent over!

• Like Like x 1
  15. What's that bloke doing?(bottom right of the phot)

16. Checking the seams on her wetsuit.

17. There also appears to be someone in a gimp suit stood to the left, must be part of the crab crew.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. He's RAF regiment, there to check ID cards before they go ashore!

• Like Like x 4
  19. Thats STIG from the SPAG, he brings the clag. Being STC he needs to hide his true ID....
  20. I thought it was Darth Vader!