Parachuting Wings

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Junglie_killick, Apr 21, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey guys I've recently been asked a question by one of the lads who has completed a skydiving course, he has been asking wether he is safe to wear Parachuting wings, I told him I thought he had to have done LLP or P Coy but I wasn't sure, any info?

2. I'm sure it's safe, but not sure it's permitted.

You mean a 'sports' skydiving course I take it?

3. A recreationally parachuting course doesn't qualify for the military parachute wings as far as I'm aware. Although I could be wrong. My oppo had to do a specific course to qualify as it was needed for his billet.

4. I think so something Freefall he did about 20 jumps not too sure about heights think over 10'000 feet if that matters!

5. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Are you talking British Military Parachute wings? If so, you can only wear them if you go through No 1 Parachuting School at RAF Brize Norton. To get there you have to either have done:

1. P Coy
    2. SF Selection
    3. AACC (i think)
    4. That thing the RAF Regiment do (althought their wings are different)

Civvy quals are null and void.

I stand by to be corrected.

6. No, he is definitely not entitled to wear para wings. To be entitled, one has to complete the Basic Parachute Course at Brize (which the army do after PCoy or sometimes AACC or similar, the RAF after their own pre-jump course, and the Bootnecks need no special course for), AND be posted/drafted/assigned to a unit which has a parachute role. So unless he is attached to the Booties as a commando, or is a member of SPAG, he is not in a role which requires him to be Para qualified. There is the 'lightbulb' badge (the para badge without the wings) which may be worn by those who have qualified as a parachutist, but are not in a para role, but the qualification required is the same BPC, not some civvy skydiving course.

7. A bootneck doesn't have to do P Coy and gets loaded straight on to BPC, so add RM training to BR's list. Other than that bang on.

8. I'm glad this place is here, I've been checking BR81 and every other JSP to try and find out five minutes on here and BOOM! Thanks very much, don't think he'll be too happy but hay-ho.

9. Blackrat

Mind you, as the wings are a qualification you can still wear them if you move to a unit that is not in the parachute/airborne role. You lose your jump pay though.

As to the lightbulb, i'm not sure if that is still being used these days due to the lack of jumps etc. There are some chaps in the Parachute Regiment who passed P Coy ages ago and are still waiting to go to Brize for their jumps course to get their proper wings.

Edited due to rapid typing.

10. Blackrat

Mate. Make sure he doesn't put those wings on. It will be construed as walting (which it is if he didn't go to Brize).

11. and if he walts it up you'd be an accessory before the fact... :wink:

12. The female that rejoined with me and is doing the same job I'm doing currently, asked for a set of wings when she drew her kit. They just gave her some. One of the others asked if she did the course she said she had done the two weeks AT course. As I was sure she wasn't entitled but didn't want to tell her other wise just incase I was proven wrong I never said anything. I'm pretty sure someone will ask her though when she put's her No 1's on and she is seen with them on. Or no one will ever ask :lol:

13. I'm interested, Tommo. What billet did your oppo have to qualify as a parachutist for?

14. It's not on, man up an out her...

15. He is Phot and was with the booties.

16. Blackrat

I've yet to see a female in the British Military wearing wings. I'm sure that would have been front page news. I smell a rat.

17. Well there is one now :lol:

18. Why on Earth would a phot need wings?

19. It was required for what he was doing. He's not one for walting, I've known him for years. So what he told me was a lot more believeable what he got up to than the female who thinks she earnt them

20. Blackrat

In that case, she'll be on the PCAU database. Find out when she did the course and let me know. I'll see if my contact can find out if she has wings or not officially. The PCAU maintains the tri-service database. Maybe the mention of this will persuade her to give it up.