Parachute course for PO's?

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by RobCourt, May 30, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Through the grapevive that is the Globe and laurel I have heard about a course for members of the Officer Training Corps whereby they can attend a two day POC-type bit of beat up training at CTCRM and then attend a 4-day civvie parachute course. I was just wondering if anyone knows anymore about this and how to get in contact with CTCRM about it as my unit's hasn't been exactly forthcoming with this type of query in the past. Particularly, if any RM's out there have any contact information for CTCRM (a phone number of the relevant staff) or experience of the course that would be great. Cheers, Rob

2. Sorry a bit off topic but I didn't realise that RM had an officer training corps. Can you gleen some details?

3. Just to clarify, I was referring to the University Officer Training Corps which is a British Army organisation. I've had commando PSI's (29+59) but I was trying to avoid going through my clerk and admin staff for an RM course as they are more geared towards the army side of life.

(I know a parachute course for PO's, especially army PO's, is a bit ambitious but if you don't ask you don't get.)

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

You can do a Royal Marines Acquaint Day at your nearest RMR unit, via your AFCO or you can do an RM version of "Look at Life" at CTC Lympstone, again via the AFCO.

As a member of the UOTC, UAS or URNU, you may apply to do an AT (Adventurous Training) parachute course through your individual unit- see AT Defence Instructions for information on course dates.

The RM are a much smaller organisation than the Army so transport & OTC wages will be at your unit expense. I doubt the UOTC will be keen to finance you on an RN sponsored course somehow.

Good luck anyway.

5. Actually my school CCF unit does RA potential officers adventurous training and there is a schoolboy commando course and parachuting. Bit pricey mind you.

6. I've been on ex Green Student with 29 cdo RA which is a yearly familiarisation exercise to the cdo bde for UOTC PO's. I was after some info on what i'm assured is a course open to the UOTC with the Royal Marines at Lympstone as they're rare as rocking horse pooh and it seems like something to get on their radar prior to POC/AIB.

Again, if anyone can help me with contact info for said course that'd be grand. Cheers, Rob

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Again, contact your AFCO, they will advise you which courses, if any, are available & can give you a point of contact in Lympstone.

Again, read DIN's for AT parachute courses which all List 7 Reserves (URNU, UAS &uOTC) may apply for.

8. Fair comment, cheers Ninja

9. Bloody hell I wish I had been offered a parachuting course when I was a Petty Officer.