Para Banter

slim said:
Try asking him why anyone with half a brain would volunteer to jump out of a perfectly serviceable aircraft. Then remind him that once a para hits the ground they are just infantry
Excuse me Slim but it takes a special kind of idiot to jump out of a aircraft.

Or in my day "THE DREADED BALLOON"

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I'm happy to stand corrected on this one, but certainly in the last 3 years, the only regular Royal Marine that I'm aware of that joined the Paras, was a failed one (6 weeks at CTC - PVR'd. don't know whether he even passed out as a Para to be honest, wasn't arsed finding out!).

On the reverse I'm know of 4 trained ex-Paras that joined the regular RM. Two of which PVR'd.

Also heard that at least one trained ex-para has joined RMR in our region (North) in the same period.

Don't know of any trained RM Commandos transferring to army regiments in my region apart from UKSF.

(Edited for piss poor grammar!)

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
[quote="Littlegreen]
You're a bullshitting idiot.....
The highlighted points are pure fantasy.
Clearly the closest you've come to the Corps is a ******* 'Meet the Marines'.
End Of Dit.
LG[/quote]

Clearly someone is proud of the fact they view themselves as an elite, fractional member of the Corps with wings, rather than a team player.

You're not Aircrew too are you?

!970s: 40 cdo's raiding training in cornwall.
As an ex para trained booty I can say that little old ladies jump out of aeroplanes all the time but few, if any, wear soaking wet FFO (G1098's full fighting order) whilst climbing 70-100' of wet, slippy cliffs in the dark with only the use of boots against cliff and hand over hand up half-inch manilla. I know which terrified the life out of me!
P.S The MLs had, of course, free-climbed the bloody thing just before chucking the ropes down for the rest of us mere mortals to climb up. Respect. :D :D :D

Backpacker1uk said:
slim said:
Try asking him why anyone with half a brain would volunteer to jump out of a perfectly serviceable aircraft. Then remind him that once a para hits the ground they are just infantry
Excuse me Slim but it takes a special kind of idiot to jump out of a aircraft.

Or in my day "THE DREADED BALLOON"
Aarrgg. Two jumps from the ballon I will never forget.

Ninja wrote:
Littlegreen wrote:

You're a bullshitting idiot.....
Clearly the closest you've come to the Corps is a ******* 'Meet the Marines'.
End Of Dit.
LG
Clearly someone is proud of the fact they view themselves as an elite, fractional member of the Corps with wings, rather than a team player.

You're not Aircrew too are you?
By no stretch of the imagination do I in any way percieve myself to an elite fractional member of the Corps. However, the suggestion that the Corps have a significant para capabilty is complete fiction. I'd be suprised to find any Bootneck who would be stupid enough to make such outlandish statements. I do not view para trained ranks as any more able than non para ranks. With the exception of certain small scale requirements, para insertion is not currently a relevant skill. I'm not entirely clear as to what you're suggesting?

The Corps is a hugely capable organisation, with forward thinking, relevant capabilities. We do not need to bullshit. It merely reduces our credibilty. Morons like daggerman cannot make such wildly untrue claims in a public forum, viewed by all, including civvies and not expect to be corrected.

I am not a pilot either

I

In_my_day

Littlegreen said:
Daggerprick wrote;
You might want to mention that a minimum of 20% of every Commando Unit has to be Para trained. How many Para's are Commando trained?

Also mention that each Commando has to be able to deploy a Company group that is airborne.
Also mention the fact that the last operational Parachute jump (Not including SF) was 45 Commando Recce troop in Iraq?

If you are RMR then you should also know that the RMR has its own APJI's Assistant Parachute Jump Instructors.

That should get him to wind his neck in.
Daggerman,

You're a bullshitting idiot.

Within a Commando Unit there are 8 line numbers for BPC trained ranks within Recce Tp. That's all. Your ridiculous notion of a para trained coy gp, or 20% para trained is absolute bollocks. Clearly the closest you've come to the Corps is a ******* 'Meet the Marines'.

End Of Dit.

LG
LG I assure you I've come slightly closer than MtM; whilst you may be "unhappy" about DM's post, I would point out that it is only the recent (last 10 years) of government parsimony that has led to his post being incorrect. It had always been the case that approx 20-25% of the Unit F Ech was para trained. I personally don't believe that mass drops are a act of war but small groups insertions have their place (although that place wouldn't be a seat in a working Herc!!)
Do you recall (are has anyone ever told you) that an RM Coy group of para trained personnel was stood to (along with a PARA coy) to go to Vanatu (New Hebrides) in the early 80s? A long time ago I know but probably one of the last planned; but not completed airborne; missions.

Since when have only 8 members of recce been getting para pay? This is a change of which I was unaware and what about the MLs in billet, although SSP has changed it does include the "para element", does it not?

My final point is this, the Corps does have a limited para capability. The powers that be still sanction this as (until the recent moratorium) they continued to pay for BPC (on an increasingly dwindling basis admittedly). In the era of resource accounting there is no such thing as a free course... to coin a phrase.

IMD

IMD, WRT to the above;

Unit entitlement to para billets is now at a single section from Recce Tp. There are still a number of other RM para billets out there, such as BPT, 148 Bty etc but these are few and far between. Additionally, owing to the paucity of assets available for BPC, many entitled ranks are not currently para trained. ML ranks should still attend BPC, and no change has been made to their SSP. Clearly the health warning wrt BPC places applies here too.

Certainly, in times previous the situation was very different, although the 20-25% was rather a subsiduary benefit of the ad-hoc way in which the Corps loaded ranks to BPC. I don't believe it was ever established as a requirement in terms of RM remit to provide force elements. To suggest that a quarter of 3 Cdo Bde is para capable is as preposterous as suggesting that CHF also posseses a lunar landing capabilty. No longer do the Corps hand out BPC as a 'good bloke' award as used to be the case.

LG

I

In_my_day

Littlegreen said:
IMD, WRT to the above;

Unit entitlement to para billets is now at a single section from Recce Tp. There are still a number of other RM para billets out there, such as BPT, 148 Bty etc but these are few and far between. Additionally, owing to the paucity of assets available for BPC, many entitled ranks are not currently para trained. ML ranks should still attend BPC, and no change has been made to their SSP. Clearly the health warning wrt BPC places applies here too.

Certainly, in times previous the situation was very different, although the 20-25% was rather a subsiduary benefit of the ad-hoc way in which the Corps loaded ranks to BPC. I don't believe it was ever established as a requirement in terms of RM remit to provide force elements. To suggest that a quarter of 3 Cdo Bde is para capable is as preposterous as suggesting that CHF also posseses a lunar landing capabilty. No longer do the Corps hand out BPC as a 'good bloke' award as used to be the case.

LG
LG you understanding of the old system is incorrect. Whilst I agree that BPC was handed out willy nilly the PQ Nos of numerous line numbers in Bde units contained the adqual Para. These include GD (as was) HW, MA and ML/Recce lines. This should not be confused with "para billets" which attract the payment of para pay. Be aware, for example, in the mists of time that one of the tasks of the UML1 was to rotate, on paper, the MLs through the billets that were "para" with those that weren't in order that no one lost their pay.

No one, at least not I, has said that 20-25% of Bde is/was para trg. I said 20-25% of the F Ech of the Units. This along with BPT, 148, 29 FOO, etc would amount to no more than 420-450 all ranks, maybe 12-14% of Bde.

Now as to being para capable that is a thread in itself. How many men actually stay in date, whether through choice or availability to carry out refresher, conversion, etc trg? With WD being increasing rare/short there goes another opportunity for jumping.

IMD

Rincewind said:
you can always ask him why if they lost at Arnhem - is it a "battle honour"
So the more recent surrenders by RM will definately not count as battle honours then? Nice to celebrate the 25 anniversary of surrendering down south by doing it again in the Persian Gulf - well done Royal.

chieftiff

War Hero
He he he! we appear to have another troll, he's waited since April to post, all that pent up frustration has disturbed his ability to spell Royal, should be good....................

HarryBosch said:
!970s: 40 cdo's raiding training in cornwall.
As an ex para trained booty I can say that little old ladies jump out of aeroplanes all the time but few, if any, wear soaking wet FFO (G1098's full fighting order) whilst climbing 70-100' of wet, slippy cliffs in the dark with only the use of boots against cliff and hand over hand up half-inch manilla. I know which terrified the life out of me!
P.S The MLs had, of course, free-climbed the bloody thing just before chucking the ropes down for the rest of us mere mortals to climb up. Respect. :D :D :D
Totally agree!! Sooner be hanging with a bag of tricks on a long rope wondering if it is front right, front left, rear left, rear right,or side left or side right. Never could get the hang of that pendulum.

MLs are in a class all on there own. Total respect!!

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
chieftiff said:
Ninja_Stoker said:
Littlegreen said:
I am not a pilot either
My apologies!
Ninja, you should have known better, had he been a pilot his first post would have ended " I am a PILOT" :)
You're absolutely right CT, except, it would've started with that proposition! :lol:

Actually, nope, thinking about it, you are right as if it had started with that no-one would've read it :lol:

(To be honest I meant "dope on a rope" Aircrew not the driver/map-reader ones!)

Rooper said:
Rincewind said:
So the more recent surrenders by RM will definately not count as battle honours then? Nice to celebrate the 25 anniversary of surrendering down south by doing it again in the Persian Gulf - well done Royal.
Here little fishy have some bait :lol: :lol: :lol:
NZB

NZ_Bootneck said:
Rooper said:
Rincewind said:
Here little fishy have some bait :lol: :lol: :lol:
NZB
NZB......am I allowed to whisper that back in the day when we could have formed a complete Commando from para-trained Royal Marines I had para-reg numpties refuse to jump twice??? Once from a Herc and once from a little Rapide over Netheravon.

Try eBay for your Cerise Beret. Only a fiver and certified 'never been dropped' :lol: :lol: :lol:

RM

If you REALLY want to piss off a para, ask if it's true that Para Reg is really nothing more the Army's version of the RAF Reg?!! Then... run like f*kc!

Or, state the following:

"Hit yourself repeatedly over the head with a brick until you feel no pain; follow the next man - join the Paras!"

Then... run like f*kc!

Be warned, however, that lots of them really do run quite fast, and... lots DO come close to living up to their own propaganda on the imperviousness to pain/ naked aggression front.

That said, my Brother, who was, amongst other things, a Para, just laughs at those who try to take the piss - had/ has lots of good mates in all branches of service (incl numerous RM/ RN) and has no time for all the slating of fellow servicemen/ women. But then he's "old school" and was trained/ mentored by men who knew there was a bit more to life than telling everyone else how wonderful you are on account of a few badges/ berets etc..