Panorama- tonight

Anyone watching Panorama tonight? BBC1 2030

"For Queen & Country"- A documentary examining the impact of the Iraq war on morale and recruitment in the British armed forces""

RM2PhD

MIA
Blair thinks he has been guided by God and his Gov has nobody in it who's served in the Forces. The treatment of the families has been and continues to be shameful. However, this Gov has demonstrated time and time again that shame is not something it recognises.

andym

War Hero
Just see how fast things would move if one of Blairs offspring was over there and killed!!

I think this is yet another example of the media preying upon the families of the war dead. What do you expect families in that position to say? Of course they feel bitter and grief stricken. Do you think it helps when they add a good dollop of "its all pointless anyway" from the liberal minded tossers at the Beeb.

Sorry but this adds nothing to the debate, it could be argued however that this kind if media output is doing far more to damage armed forces moral and recruitment. One sided bilge from what I saw.

Deeps

War Hero
Phil an excellant post.I was moved by the programme.Without sounding a big timing [email protected] Ive had 3 tours in Iraq,ive had to attend 2 repatriation ceremonies during my time in Iraq. I dont agree with the political stance taken by the media. Its our job as servicemen/women,we cannot choice what conflicts to attend etc etc. The kit dramas have got 1000 times better since I was sat on a US landing ship off red beach on the AL FAW 19th March 2003. No lives are wasted,that sort of comment has to be the final insult to familes that have lost sons/daughters/dads /mothers in Iraq.

I think Mr Hyde the RMP's father was very dignified in his comments.I hope the press dont jump on this band wagon again ,as they are only interested in selling papers.

RM2PhD

MIA
I take your point about the media, Phil but HMG has been draggging it's feet over the inquests something rotten. Add to that the recent report of Oxfordshire Assistant Deputy Coroner Andrew Walker being told, in no uncertain terms, that his services are no longer required by the MOD and we have yet more evidence that HMG (plus it's neo-con Masters across the pond) are not interested in criticism of any kind about this war. That Walker has been critical of the govt in at least four high profile and politically sensitive cases about lack of equipment, shoddy equipment, witholding of evidence from lawful inquests, etc. suggests that the govt's attitude can best be summed up as 'shut up, you don't know what you are talking about'. Just look at the track record, Phil: Tank crews had their body armour taken off them, six RMPs were sent into a dangerous area without GPMGs or grenades and only a couple of months ago the paras revealed that they had ben begging for the more expensive British or Canadian 0.5 cal rounds, which actually worked, rather than the cheap unreliable rubbish they bought of Pakistan and Chezch. And still RM had to complain about the crap ammo when they took over! As for snatch landrovers and lack of helo capcity - it's been four BLOODY years. Then there is the shameful things that have been happening to the wounded on NHS wards. Thank fcuk for the media on that one! Oh yeah. And they still resist i.e. they don't know how many wounded we have actually had thus far! Finally, don't anyone bother asking HMG about the prior unanswered question concerning the legality or otherwise of the war in the first place! Yes, the media will exploit certain situations but then again, they don't over report the deaths or film pictures of the wounded with their legs and arms hanging off, do they? Just because the Forces and their families simply kept their questions to themselves and buried dead in silence doesn't mean that was always a good or desirable thing.

UncleAlbert

War Hero
Absolutely RM2.

Nobody likes the media especially me but the media are the opposition and without them the government would be accountable to no one.
I stopped reading or watching the news many years ago when I found myself hating someone I had never met…So when I watched that programme tonight it was through the eyes of someone who has never formed opinions by watching the BBC news or reading the Daily Wail.
The relatives of the dead soldiers were given an opportunity to voice their honest thoughts and their comments should not be dismissed because they were on a TV news programme.

…………

onions

GCM
Adam Ingram, The Defence Minister, summed it up when he came out with the imortal words "It is NOT the MODs responsibility". OK, he was being questioned about the length of time to carry out post mortems. But it basically sums up what this government think of OUR armed forces. FA!!!

As the mother from Staffordshire intimated, "If these incidents happened in UK the Health and Safety people would quickly be involved".

Phil1972, the damage being done to our servicemen and women is being done from Westminster, T B-liar and his inept and corrupt hench persons. Would it make any difference if it was your relative that had been killed and you had to wait three years to find out the circumstances? I have a Nephew out in the sand at the moment and God forbid he comes to any harm, but I can assure all and sundry that I would try everything imaginable to get to the truth if anything happened to him.

Semper Strenuissima.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BillyNoMates Panorama Exclusive! Diamond Lil's 3
soleil Panorama (Gib): "Week-long Visit By Frigate" The Fleet 3
mattbea Panorama The Gash Barge 90
stan_the_man IRAQ 2008 PANORAMA The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
S Panorama Current Affairs 13
TurboThreaders Panorama. The Corps 10
MoD_RSS Press release: Operation Brock – work to remove M20 contraflow starts tonight MoD News 0
u04elw2 First Drill Night Tonight! Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 28
finknottle Should be worth a shufti tonight Diamond Lil's 25
REDMIST I shit the bed tonight.... The Corps 0
frogman007 Alex Jones tits look good tonight!! The Quarterdeck 4
Apple_Catchers Victor Gregg Radio 2 tonight @ 2100 History 3
Naval_Gazer Sky Movies Drama & Romance tonight at 2000 - 'Men of Honor' Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 0
soleil ITV: The West Country Tonight: "Naval Student Life?" SCC and URNU 1
soleil SoS Defence On The Panel On Question Time BBC1 Tonight Current Affairs 9
soleil Navy News: "Gannet Meets Baywatch - One Show BBC1 Tonight" The Fleet Air Arm 5
Gombear Tonight's Match Diamond Lil's 12
Nick_Rueth BBC2 9pm tonight Submariners 2
NotmeChief What to have for dinner tonight Health & Fitness 4
tommo 66 years ago tonight........ History 4
soleil Doctors and Nurses at War: ITV tonight 2235 The Corps 13
soleil Possibly interesting programme on Bin Laden on BBC2 tonight The Quarterdeck 3
soleil How will you be celebrating tonight, New Year's Eve? The Quarterdeck 54
Montigny_La_Palisse Christmas do tonight - Which tactic to employ? Diamond Lil's 15
pinkprincess I was the model at an Ann Summers party tonight... Diamond Lil's 69
jambosun HMS ILLUSTRIOUS on National Geographic Tonight 2100 Current Affairs 0
scouse Spare gooners ticket for tonight Sports and Adventure Training 5
Welshy Royal Navy Rescue Submarine : BBC 1 tonight Submariners 0
N Tonight its Sangria,red wine and cheap beer, Diamond Lil's 21
mackem Handed in my notice tonight!!! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
2_deck_dash What to do tonight? Diamond Lil's 20
soleil Devonport/Faslane - item on tonight's Ch. 4 News at 1900 Current Affairs 10
S WARZONE....2100 tonight Channel 5 Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 38
Ballistic Movie tonight Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 5
Grim_Reaper Top Gear/Royal beach assault repeat tonight. The Corps 5
soleil Who Wants to be a Millionaire-Armed Forces Special-Tonight Current Affairs 50
golden_rivet don't forget what you MUST do tonight The Quarterdeck 10
D Five years ago Tonight The Corps 3
H Commando Reminder for tonight ITV1 9PM RMR 6
Graybags Demolition BBC1 19:00hrs tonight Diamond Lil's 2
P London tonight with time on your hands? Diamond Lil's 6