Panic stricken for interview

Discussion in 'RFA' started by Blazin Evil, Feb 21, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening all hope everyones good?

Got a quick question as ive got my interview for RFA MM2 coming up in a few days time and was wondering whats the best things to be up to scratch on? Ive been reading up on each of the ships, what they do and where they are etc, and also whats involved in the duties of being an MM etc currently working as MM in local ferry company but only temp through agency and hope this pans out as a full time career.

Any info you could throw my way would be greatly appreciated.
  2. My best advice is that you try to relax. If you've crammed into your head as much as you can about the RFA Fleet, what it does, where it goes and what it supports, plus what that does, you can't go far wrong. Remember that you also have a life yourself and a good presentation of your interests, experiences and ambitions can only do good. Above all, try to relax.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Go to bed

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  4. Best of luck to you - try not to stress out.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

If you are panic stricken about a job interview, here's a good interview question to consider: "How do you feel about serving on a lightly armed merchant vessel in an operational combat zone in support of warships, whilst laden with fuel and ammunition?"
    • Like Like x 3
  6. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Calm down.

What does the RFA do? How many people work for the RFA? How many on each ship? Types of ships and how many. Role of those ships. What is carried on board? What weapons are fitted? Future capability of the RFA, any new ships due? Where are we and what are we doing there?

Have a look on YouTube for TwoSixTV and RFA.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. exJenny

Do I get DF tabs?
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Fair one ninja, can handle everything else but when it comes to interviews, hate the damn things!

Cheers Loggie & exJ that covers everything I've been reading up on so here's hoping I don't throw it away in the interview. And I'll check those vids out as well.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  9. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

NS wrote
    Paraphrased from the obituary of Commodore Sam Dunlop DSO OBE RFA:

RFA Fort Austin, toppers with ammunition is under air attack during the Falklands War. A young officer is (naturally) flapping. The Commodore*, who had served in the Second World War calmed him down. " Don't worry about going down with this ship son, you'll only go up."

*COMRFA went to sea in those days. Now his bridge is the 4th Floor in Leach Building.
    • Like Like x 3
  10. They will ask examples of teamwork and working under pressure. Read up on your training, where it is, how long ect and the specific roles of your job. Also get a good understanding of what they mean by being a sponsored reservist as you will likely be asked that as well... and learn the rank structure from your job up to captain.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. To build on the previous post, also know your training progression and the role the MCA plays in your training.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Ok all good info, much appreciated. Currently sitting in work reading any material I can find on RFA, ships, etc etc. As for the MCAs role in training, most of the certs (PSSR, PST, Fire figting, ENG1, etc I already have as im working on P&O fast craft as MM which I take will be transferable?
  13. Also one other random question but whats the RFAs out look on slightly stretched earings and tattoos? I remember being sent literature when I first applied, mainly RN stuff, stating no jewelry other than wedding ring and in the case of flesh tunnels they must be removed and the hole closed over? is this the same with RFA?
  14. As far as I'm aware, yes
    • Like Like x 1
  15. exJenny

Depends what tatts and how stretched your ears are.
  16. exJenny

I know of a chap who removed the stretchers but still had visible holes and was covered in tatts.
  17. The only reason I ask is I remember seeing a picture somewhere of crew RASing and one of the Deckies had his ear slightly stretched, about 10mm which is the same as mine. Ive mine out and it should start to close up quicky, but probably not before the interview.
  18. 10mm stretcher which is small, left arm is a dragon sleeve, right has kids names and both calves have ink on them as well??
  19. exJenny

You seemed to be as holey and less inked than the chap I was on about.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. thank god for that, Id hate to be turned away for something I done many years ago when I was a mere teen!!