Paintings/ Artists

Discussion in 'Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy' started by chieftiff, Oct 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Possibly not going to be a popular thread but who cares, lets give it a go this forum is dedicated to "Arty stuff" after all.

My love of art began in school, probably because I went to the same school as Sir Joshua Reynolds (although not at the same time I hasten to add) and art was a big part of school life. I'm not particularly gifted but do occasionally dabble, my real interest lies in viewing great works of art up front and personal, from that respect the greatest art gallery in the world can be found in Madrid (in my opinion) Museo del Prado If you ever get a chance visit, it may seriously change your view on art, and it's free on Sunday's!

Probably one of the most stunning works of art there is by a guy who has become known as Hieronymous Bosch and he falls as number 3 in my most appreciated artists. The others being Picasso who's greatest piece Guernica sits in my hallway, not the original unfortunately but a 6' print of the huge canvas. First on my list is however Salvador Dali, I have 3 autographed postcards signed by the great man when he lived in New York, the authenticated one cost a few quid and I will get around to certifying the other two at some point, I don't have a favourite Dali but this is probably one of his best Dream Caused by the Flight of a Bumblebee Around a Pomegranate a Second Before Awakening Nifty little title! Other favourites are Miro, and Van der Weydon

So does anyone else share my interest in art or am I the only geeky freek on the forums?
  2. Good thread. Here is a small and eclectic mix of artists I enjoy.

Massacre of the Innocents - Peter Paul Rubens. It's painful to look at this painting.

Unique Forms of Continuity in Space - Umberto Bocciono 1913

Expressionists such as Oskar Kokoshcka, Edvard Munch, Ernst Ludwig Kirchner and and Egon Schiele e.g. Seated Woman 1917

The analytic and synthetic cubism of George Braque - Man with a guitar and Pablo Picasso

The sculptures of Alberto Giacommetti circa 1960s - Giacommetti

Dorothea Lange's Migrant Mother - 1936

Mark Rothko

Damien Hirst's The Physical Impossibility of Death in the Mind of Someone Living

I could bore you all to death with this stuff. See you at the Tate Modern! :thumright:
  3. Im more of a Tony Hart fan myself - sorry
  4. I must admit, I do like Hieronymus Bosch - must be all the detail he put into his paintings (eg Garden of Earthly Delights, Last Judgement) and the background to them. A good book on him is the World Of Art one by

Walter Gibson

I'm not a great art expert, but I appreciate it and like to sit and look at the occasional piece. Quite a few years ago I spent some time in Amsterdam and visited the Rijksmuseum to see Rembrandt's Nightwatch, just to see what all the fuss was about. Seeing it with my own eyes in the gallery did actually make a difference - pretty impressive it was too!!

Nightwatch Link

Thanks for the links - like I said, I'm not a great expert but have a passing interest.
  5. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Ralph Harris is one of the most overlooked talents in the art field, a unique artist
  6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Jack Vettriano..?
  7. chieftiff

Probably in January mate, try a visit to Madrid Harry The Prado (Rubens) and Centro de Arte Reina Sofía Plenty of little know Picasso's as well as the well known ones.

Thanks for saving the thread by the way, it was begining to look lonely :whew:
  8. chieftiff

Garden of Earthly Delights is an amazing painting (one of my favourites) the "Hell" pane is stunning (and very very weird)
  9. No surprise that I quite like Hieronymus Bosch :)
  10. I'm sure there must be some buildings jack and jenny have seen on their travels that they like. I'll begin with architect Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater
  11. Don't know the names of any artists as such, but I must admit that, having taken two days to walk myself around the Hermitage, I was truly astounded by the amount and beauty of ALL the artwork on display.
    i like paintings like Nightwatch, linked above. Don't like Picasso type stuff.
  12. Oh nice thread.

As a Dali/ Picassio fan have you managed to get to the Costa Brava? I would recommend a jolly to Figueres (Dali's birthplace).

I visited the Museo Del Prado in 2004 and LOVED it!

I am not sure anyone else will be too aware of my favourite artist- Peter Lanyon. He founded the St Ives School of Art with Hepworth and co and was one of the most important British painters of the 1950's Lanyon&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

It is hard to appreciate his work from the comfort of your Ikea swivel chair so head down to the Tate (also free)

13. QUALITY!
  14. Nice one Chief never underestimate the intelligence of Jack.
  15. A few years ago I was fortunate enough to visit the Hermitage in St Petersburg. It contained the most awesome collection of art I have ever seen and the buildings themselves are works of art. Seeing works by Da Vinci, Michaelangeo, Rembrandt and countless other great artists all under the one roof was an unforgettable experience. We spent an entire day there and could easily have spent a week.
  16. chieftiff

St Marks Basilica is probably the most impressive building I've ever visited, the interior with all the walls lined in gold is stunning.

Rightly so, Last time I went to sea there were 8 guys in the Chiefs mess studying degrees from Hons to Masters, the subjects ranged from Mathematics, Technology, Psychology to "The Renaissance". It was like being at bloody school!
  17. I've no idea why, but I like Theodore Gericault's "La Radeau de la Medusa" (the Raft of the Medusa). I really couldn't tell you why; the story behind the depiction of the wreck is grusome, bloody and tragic.éodore_Géricault_-_Le_Radeau_de_la_Méduse.jpg

For those who enjoy Picasso, have you tried the lesser know Museo Picasso in Malaga. Quite new and an enjoyable day to be spent there.
  18. chieftiff

I'm planning to go in June when I leave the RN we will spend a couple of weeks touring Spain including Barcelona, Madrid etc sort of a "well done" retirement holiday before I start working for a living :thumright:
  19. I am sure you deserve it.

I lived just outside Barcelona for 6 months so if you need any travel advice I am your girl.

20. I'd like to live in something like this (scroll down when you get there): Le Corbusier. The inside might look soemthing like this Example1 or this Example2, the rule being 'Less is More'. Add a Rothko or two (not too much stuff on the walls, please) and white bookshelves and Furniture from Le Corbusier in black or white. Voila! All that light and space. Bliss.