paint inside older ships

Discussion in 'Site Issues' started by mate, May 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi

just wantwed to know

if anyone knows what the yellow paint was, that was used inside older supply ships to stop the rust .eg ships as old as Fort Grange who served in the Falklands

mate

2. The paint was called Yellow Chromate --mainly used as an Aluminium
    base primer on ships.
    The steel ships wouldn't have had much use for it other than on Aluminium
    fittings etc.

Hope it helps

Fred

3. As stated it was an aluminium primer, steel ships used it extensively around gass tight vent intakes as these were alloy, as were a lot of staghorns and cleats.
    And steel primers were chock admar and red admar.
    And on the wooden ships...........well ask Granny 8O :D

4. Yup...Yellow chromate it was! Anyone remember 'silverine'?....wish I had a quid for every fuel tank I painted that stuff with....not forgetting to drop the 'Davy lamp' in first....and the 'No Smoking' within 20 feet signs before opening up the empty tanks.... not a job following a good run ashore...trust me 8) ....seems such a long time ago...and it was.... :)

5. Silverine....Yup used to paint the Scotchmen with it, and non skid Brunswick green on the deck.

And a question, are you still allowed to paint the messdeck any colour you want?

6. silverine was a wood primer but seemed to be used to make anything shine. if it was dull paint it with silverine even the ladders between decks,
    as to painting the mess decks as far as i know its still Ash gray on the deck heads and bulkheads, the only mess decks were its different are were they have had that stupid TV show in to try and make over a mess deck on a Fiver,
    things may of changed pink all round. its calming...

7. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

Cheeky young whippersnapper,well yellow and black actually. Does anyone remember caulking the wooden decks with 'oakum' and tar? I can. I have even picked the 'oakum'.

8. Silverine was the closest we got to substance abuse

9. Very true SP......especially when painting hot pipes with the fumes given off :)

10. Fred[/quote]
    As stated it was an aluminium primer, steel ships used it extensively around gass tight vent intakes as these were alloy, as were a lot of staghorns and cleats.
    And steel primers were chock admar and red admar.
    And on the wooden ships...........well ask Granny 8O :D[/quote]

Cheeky young whippersnapper,well yellow and black actually. Does anyone remember caulking the wooden decks with 'oakum' and tar? I can. I have even picked the 'oakum'.[/quote]

Yes well granny it seems SGT pepper entertained us both in his Portsmouth Hotel. I have indeed picked oakum and had my poor little fingers bleed doing it.
    I have lit my smokes off the shovel and polished my bucket with my hand and sand.
    Fcuk them days they were not stowed amongst my fond memories. :cry:

11. I asked "Can you still paint your mess deck any colour", not what colour are they.
    We were allowed in most ships to have a vote and paint it any colour.
    In the Devonshire during the 71/73 commission, the forward seaman's mess 3E was indeed painted Pink as the killick went around asking if Pink was OK with us. As we thought he was having a laugh we all agreed, only to find he was serious. :oops: :oops: :oops:

12. remember painting exhaust trunking in silverine whilst the engine was still running, must have been on something!! 8O

13. HMS London early '90 3H WE\CT mess had a mural on the wall painted by one of the CTs. IIRC it was a fantasy\medieval\lord of the rings type theme. From a bloke who isn't into painting\artwork even I admit it was impressive. No doubt it eventually disappeared under some ash grey.

14. Ahh better than watching paint dry

15. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

I only remember using.... 1 Silverine. 2, Yellow Chromate. 3, Red Lead,
    4, Grey undercoat. 5, Grey topcoat, 6, Varnish. 7, white and of course, everyones favourite.. Boot topping.
    Do you still mix all the paint required to paint ship in a dustbin, all mixed together to give one shade of grey?

16. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Mate has bumped this from another thread. Are things any better?

17. (granny). Ah, when paint and life was so simple. When nobody knew or cared about the hazards of zinc chromate and lead oxide.

Painting ships is now far from simple. Strict treatment and application plans and paints that can't be used with paints made by other manufacturers. If your upperworks have been painted with, say, Jotan Henry made stuff, you can't patch it with, say Hempel made stuff. Hence, great works of learning like Warpaint. Still, the clankies who plan the work packages knew best. :roll:

18. Ah .. substance abuse! What were those aerosol cans of solvent cleaner called that the greenies and pinkies had? Lovely smell! I think they were replaced with something that was only half as effective and not in an aerosol can?

19. That would be Trichoethylene (spelling?) or Trichs, it was replaced by Ardrox which also turned out to be bad for and you didn't get such a good buzz out of it either :lol: