Owzat!!!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by hobbit, Oct 3, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

?
  1. Australia will whitewash England and regain the urn

100.0%
  2. The tests will be almost evenly divided Australia winning

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. The tests will be almost evenly divided England winning

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. With the Ashes series now looming in Australia there has been debate, would you believe, as the whether or not the Australian supporters are allowed to use the term Pom or Pommie when barracking the English supporters. This has been given the all clear and exempt from the recently introduced anti-racist laws or whatever they are. There is a proviso however and when using the term it is not allowed to add any nasty or naughty words. Presumably it is not allowed to say Pommie Bastard or worse.
    I honestly cannot see how this will be policed and believe it will cause more trouble than without making such a stupid ruling. No doubt in this PC world such things are now an everyday event but it's sad that cricket has sunk to this level and the friendly rivalry between the two nations now a little less friendly. The game has gone to the pack though with all the play acting and cheating. Sledging too has done little to maintain the good standards that coined the phrase , " it's not cricket".
    Having said that, and although a supporter of England, I do predict a whitewash with Australia flogging England and regaining the Ashes. I hope I am wrong however but without the likes of Geoffrey Boycott et al standards have dropped sadly and although the gladitorial atmosphere draws the crowds it would be great to see some of the old qualities emerge instead of the booze and abuse we now witness.

:D

2. As long as we can still refer to them as "transported convicts" i don't see a problem!

3. Looked up the meaning of Pommie on Google because I was curious. For those interested ...

Origins: "Pommy" (or "pom" or "pommie") is a primarily Australian (and largely derisive) slang term used to indicate a recent immigrant from Great Britain, or a Brit in general. The origins of "pommy" having been lost in the mists of time, someone needed to cook up an etymology for it, preferably one equal to the pejorative sense of the word.

Accordingly, we now have the story that criminals transported to Australia were designated "Prisoners of His Majesty" or "Prisoners of Mother England" (some versions claim the convicts bore one of these legends printed on the backs of their shirts), and thus the acronym "POHM" or "POME" eventually evolved into the slang term "pom" or "pommy."

Fascinating stuff I'm sure you would agree - now what to do about those Kangaroo Shagging [email protected]?

SF

4. How about sending Barrymore to them ?
    That should sort 'em out !

:lol:

5. Com'n Lads
    Look at what we had to suffer back in 1966 at Tamar and Terror we had to endure the chant of "Go rattle your chains colonials" We gave you Ohare the umpire who called it as it was and there is now a cricket fiasco because we have to be politically correct and not upset the @#$%
    Viv
    HMS Duchess/HMAS Duchess The Grey Hound Of Two Navies