overweight sailors

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by garyM, Oct 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The royal naval uniform for junior ratings has never been particularly flattering.
    For the most part ratings were lean so the ill-fitting rig was considered strange ,but more or less acceptible.
    Today? Well! Putting on a bit of weight in common with the current youth the ill-fitting uniform on a podgy body looks more like a badly made up hammock.
  2. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

If sailors were meant to be impeccable then God would have made them Guardsmen.
  3. So Guardsmen are "sinless"? Certainly not the Blues and Royals Subalterns I discovered importuning in one or more of those London parks. Hopefully they found a few willing impeccable sailors to satisfy their needs. Doesn't alter the fact that silly dressed sailors will look even sillier if they continue to put on excessive amounts of weight.
  4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

GaryM/Norm: Given up keeping your vitriolic outbursts to just officer-based rants then?! :roll:
  5. Well ideally, they shouldn't be putting on weight if they're training for their RNFT.

Also, I believe it is now possible to be discharged for an inability to lose weight once an individual has been deemed obese. I can't recall it actually happening though.
  6. RNFT RN I understand =Royal Navy F=Fat but what does T equal?
  7. sgtpepperband

NormanM: Obviously wasn't an issue in 'your day' 'cos RNFT wasn't compulsory; so what were you kicked out for? Must've been something minor, otherwise you'd not be as bitter and twisted as you are...
  8. How kind Sgt.
    If RNFT was compulsory in my day no-one had the good grace to tell me . You take time to be facetious but not to explain what RNFT is. Perhaps you're not even sure despite the lip!
  9. chieftiff

Sorry Norm, I guess we sometimes forget just how long ago you left to join the Army? RNFT = Royal Navy Fitness Test, a compulsary annual fitness test set to ensure all our sailors (or at least the ones who are medically fit) don't get fat, breathless or need a tailor.
  10. RNFT = RN Fitness Test

Either 1.5 miles in a certain time, or a multi-stage fitness test (the bleep test). It was introduced in the late 90s.

To be honest, over the past couple of years I can't recall seeing many overweight junior rates walking round Portsmouth Naval Base.
  11. So those medically fit sailors we see have passed the RNFT. Those overweight lads and lasses have passed the Royal Naval Fitness Test.
    It's as well that those who failed are kept out of the public view sitting at key boards in some or other contrived MOD cells.
  12. sgtpepperband

Haha, love it! Norman reverts to type. You're not my superior occifer so I can give you as much 'lip' as I think necessary... RNFT details are available on the RN Website; you can find it buried underneath all the info about how much money 'you taxpayers' waste on occifers' pay... :lol:
  13. chieftiff

Yes that's right, we keep all the fat, one legged Lt Cdr's locked up in a big hangar limping around hamster wheels so that the rest of us young fit guys can sail the seven seas only stopping to enjoy our annual jaunt in the Rio carnival. All your taxes, just wasted on hamster wheels, how do you feel about that, maybe worth starting a thread...... it's shocking. I hear there are a consultancy group currently looking into the efficiency of replacing them with fat, one legged civvies, should save a fiver!
  14. One can of course. This taxpayer, as I assume you do, resents wasting his hard earned taxes keeping Officers of Flag Rank in their grace and favour accommodation when we have few ships for them to be Officers of Flag Rank over. What on earth is the point?
  15. sgtpepperband

Hard-earned? Enlighten us; what vital contribution do you provide for the good of the Nation? Or are you too busy milking the earnings of your 'gorgeous lawyer niece'?!
  16. Unlikely. If they are overweight, they have probably not reached the required fitness standard, and are on warning. In this case, they attend remedial training 3 times a week pending a further test. Repeated failure leads to an administrative discharge.

If this is so, then they would be sitting there as civilians having been discharged. Additionally, since Topmast did away with most of the JR shore billets and replaced them with contract civilians, there would be nowhere to put them.
  17. So why bother with them in the first place? Just appoint a civilian fat or no.
  18. Do you mean appoint civilians in shore bases? We already do; either contractors, agency staff or civil servants.

There are very very few JRs billets ashore now.
  19. sgtpepperband

Size is not necessarily an indication of fitness; I've seen lardarsses who are as fit as PTIs and racing snakes who are out of breath when they get to the top of the ladder. Providing they complete and pass their RNFT then there is no issue. Unless 'NormanM' is just wants to be heard, because none of his 'friends' talk to him anymore...

I imagine he is like the Paul Whitehouse character in "The Fast Show", sitting on his own in the local, eager to engage in conversation with anyone (un)lucky enough to be within earshot:

"I was in the Navy you know. Yeah, 20 years, man and boy..." :roll: :lol:
  20. True, I used to work with a WO who was a bit "portly" but could out run most of us 20-somethings. o_O