Overpaid Teachers

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by oberon, Jul 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Aren't you sick of all those high paid teachers?

Their hefty salaries are driving up taxes, and they only work nine or ten months a year! It's time we put things in perspective and pay them for what they do...baby-sit!

We can get that for less than minimum wage. That's right. I would give them £3.00 an hour and only the hours they worked, not any of that silly planning time. That would be a day (7:45 AM to 4:00 PM with 45 min. off for lunch).

Each parent should pay £19.50 a day for these teachers to baby-sit their children. Now, how many do they teach in a day... maybe 30? So that's 19.50 X 30 = £585.00 a day.

However, remember they only work 180 days a year! I am not going to pay them for any holidays. Let's see . . that's £585 x 180 = £105,300 per year. (Hold on! .. My calculator must need batteries!)

What about those special teachers and the ones with Master's degrees?
    Well, we could pay them minimum wage just to be fair, £5.52 an hour.
    That would be £5.52 times 6.5 hours times 30 children times 180 days = £193,752.00 per year.

Wait a minute, there is something wrong here! .....There sure is, duh!
    (Average teacher salary £21,000/180 days = £116.66 per day/30 students
    = £3.88/ 6.5 hours = £0.59 per hour per student.)

Very inexpensive babysitter, and they even educate your kids!
    Crazy, eh!

2. my LO's teacher hasn't actually taught her in two weeks because she's been on a course WTF is that all about, 4 years not enough time to learn how to teach a 5 year old the alphabet

3. Hey! Great idea. And in a few year's time we'll have people who have been 'babysat' by minimum wage earners trying to operate our wonderful new weapons systems - unfortunately they won't have learnt to read or write so won't be able to read the instruction manual for their nice big shiny new boat!

4. I know this is liable to bring the teacher-bashing element out of the woodwork but let's have some debate based on fact rather than uninformed opinion. Unfortunately, everyone regards themselves as an 'expert' on education because they have all experienced school. My wife says most of her hassle comes from parents who automatically side with their 'little dears who can do no wrong' despite all the evidence to the contrary. She has the bruises to prove it. Sometimes, it can be a war out there and the pressure from government, media, parents, the PC brigade, and the children is unrelenting. It is only her dedication that keeps her going.

Oberon makes some good points but he has only taken into account class contact time. Conscientious teachers will spend a couple of hours preparing each lesson, especially if it has to be tailored for the needs of individual children. Then there is the plethora of school admin, form-filling, extra-curricular activities, assessment and marking; imagine having to read 25-30 essays at a time, week in and week out. My teacher wife spends more time on 'school work' at home than in front of her classes.

Sure there are some poor teachers but it still annoys me when I hear people blaming teachers for badly behaved children, including their own. A teacher will only be able to dedicate a tiny fraction of around seven hours per weekday to each of 25-30 odd children, and that's restricted to term time. One disruptive child can ruin a class for everyone and in some schools the disruptive children are in the majority. Compare a teacher's class contact time with the potential time parents (usually two sharing the load) are in contact with their own children, i.e. around 16 hours per weekday and 24 hours per day every weekend and throughout the school hols. Everyone has to sleep sometime but, by my reckoning, parents have about eight times as much potential time with their children as teachers. Yet it's still too much to ask many of them to help with their children's homework or read a bedtime story every now and then to encourage an interest in books.

5. I have no objections to the pay teachers earn, what annoys me is their incessant whining about it not being enough. My daughter is a primary school teacher and is on circa £32000. She is happy with this (though she is at the top scale) and sees no reason for teachers threatening strike action for more.
    Now for the crux question, how many here would want to spend all that time in a classroom full of kids from a sink estate who believe that they are able to do anything they wish? Don't forget successive governments have removed most of the measures which successfully controlled kids in the past. Couple this with aggressive parents plus government targets and the job suddenly isn't as attractive as it looks.

6. Sorry I thought this was Diamond lils so was going for my tongue in cheek views on teaching perhaps for something more serious the MODs could move it or a more sensible thread could be put up

7. Jusr out of curiosity does anyone know what the starting wage for a teacher is? I mean, how much would they received straight out of teacher training?

SF

8. £19,000 -- £21,000.

9. According to the pay calculator in the TeacherNet pay calculator here, the pay for a first-post classroom teacher on Main Pay Scale spine point M1 in England (outside London) & Wales is £20,133.00.

10. I've been toying with taking it up as a second career but it hardly worth the effort. Then there are always the compensators - the time off looks good!

SF

11. I put it in here cause it is tongue in cheek but if some folk want to take it seriously far be it from me to say No.

Like Naval_Gazer said maybe we do need a serious discussion on Teachers, kids, schools etc on here.

12. I did just that and the only words which made me think I should become a teacher was JUNE JULY & AUGUST.

MAY setting exam papers....JUNE & forst part of JULY marking, and remedial classes.

Thay lied to me.. Resits for the failures in JULY, Summer school in August for the real under achievers, shoulder to cry on for A level near missers.

I am sure that without my Naval Pension I would find it hard to do the Job.

But I am in FE, not mainstream schools. 35 days leave per and on average 10% less pay than School teachers.

But I love the job, and still get a kick out of seeing some of the young folk doing well, even if some of them have to come back for resits..

DON'T go into teaching unless you WANT too, it's hard work, but very rewarding :thumright: :thumright:

13. Stand fast the duty watch

14. Teachers don't have a duty watch, they may occasionally do playground duty :w00t:

15. PMSL

16. You forgot to mention all the rest of the crap - schemes of work (fully detailed), lesson plans (with plenty of differentiation etc.) and stupid meetings where everyone is so far up their own ars3holes they can't smell their own cack!

But I'll agree with you - it can be extremely rewarding - especially this time of the year when they are all bu33ering off and you have managed to get 75% of them into the Uni of their choice! :)

17. Serious question... do you get overtime if you work in the holiday period?
    Or is your pay for your grade sancrosanct? [NO extras?]

18. Overtime????

We should be so lucky - there's a clause in our contract which runs along the lines of "and any other duties as deemed necessary by your line manager" - which can include parents evenings, open day evenings, late enrollments (evening duties) and some weekend working. Also, if we accompany a residential (field trip/visit) we are on duty 24/7 and no extra pay.

However, our manager is pretty cool and so long as everyone is sensible we can take time off in lieu (up to a certain point) and there is no clocking on/off. Generally we have a fairly relaxed work ethos at my college - we work hard as a team, help each other out and as long as the day's tasks are completed we can go pretty much any time.

19. Concur with this, Another ball they throw at you each year is the change in the curriculum, which required a rewrite of the schemes of work, and lesson plans.

Time off can be discussed with the line managers, I have done markig at home, as the office is always being raided by students and other staff wanting your help, so the marking gets a little astern.

20. Navel Gazer:

'I know this is liable to bring the teacher-bashing element out of the woodwork but let's have some debate based on fact rather than uninformed opinion'....

.....and the rest of your post. Bloody well said.
    Contact time in the classroom does NOT account for the weekends and holidays spent marking, preparing classes and parent evenings, not to mention training and attendence at academic functions.

Schools and the education system in general are blamed for the appaulling standards of behaviour displayed by many kids, with no reference made to the fact that their home lives lack discipline, values and even the basics like a decent diet and how to use a knife and fork. Basics that should have been taught to them before they reached the age of 5.
    Get a class of 12 year olds wired up on cola, crisps, burgers and other junk and try teaching them anything.

Teachers do a fantastic job against ever - increasing odds.Let's also not forget the massive rise in immigration which means a teacher may have a class of kids who collectively speak more than 5 languages as their mother tongue, none of which are English.......and not always with a classroom assistant for support. How many people do you know left to work in isolation like this, often with a class of violent children ?