Overly busy International Recruitment Desk?

onfinals

Midshipman
Hello,

I have been calling and left a message, and emailed, the international recruitment desk. I have not had a response for 3 days. Are they just a little snowed under at the moment with increased activity? What would you reckon is 'normal' response times? I am just afraid I am contacting the wrong people or that number etc. have changed.

Thank you!

I know every time I get hold of either one of the two Officers in the office I am told how more than 4000 applications have been received since the opening of the Commonwealth application. I have too been calling days on end, I do not get email replies yet when I speak to them they recognize what I have said in the emails I sent. I have called over 40 times on each of the two numbers before in one day with no prevail at getting through.

I would advise to keep trying. Be patient, easier said than done.

I sent all my paperwork to AFCO London end of Nov 2018, had my Nurse Triage call in Feb 2019. I will be going to the UK for my physical tests end of this month. Process has been long but much longer for others from what I have read. There is still at least 12 weeks for me before I start basics I presume if not longer. I was fortunate to be in before the crowd I think with my application. Good luck in your application.

onfinals

Midshipman
Thanks. Really helpful. Where did you read about other commknwealth applicants? I hope to study the posts there. Where are you applying from, which area applying for?

I'm from South Africa, I have applied for ET ME. I can not recall the posts name but have seen, one guy from Kenya has been having delays as he private messaged me asking questions. There are only two Officers dealing with Commonwealth applicants from my understanding and having over 4000 applicants, I am not surprised that there are delays.

onfinals

Midshipman
@Ninja_Stoker , i'd appreciate your input. Could I make it through the selction process faster if:

Option a) I travel to the uk and visit an AFCO to get application going?

Option b) have an application sent to my brother's address in the UK and they send it to me?

In both ways I am trying to work around the busy international desk.

What do you reckon?

RabC

MIA
@Ninja_Stoker , i'd appreciate your input. Could I make it through the selction process faster if:

Option a) I travel to the uk and visit an AFCO to get application going?

Option b) have an application sent to my brother's address in the UK and they send it to me?

In both ways I am trying to work around the busy international desk.

What do you reckon?
Ninja Stoker is no longer a recruiter and also isn’t on this site as much any more.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
There are currently over 5000 active Commonwealth applicants, resident overseas. They are sending approx 2000 emails, text messages & phone messages a week enquiring what the delay is. The three or four Careers Advisers trying to process the applications are, to put it bluntly, snowers.

Applications are processed electronically in date order. The floodgates opened on 6th November 2018.

For UK citizens resident overseas and Commonwealth citizens who have a UK address where they can live with friends or family, you will almost certainly find things easier. Even overseas residents have to come to UK at some point to complete the selection process.

The thing to remember is all applicants resident overseas in the last 5 years will need a residency waiver to gain security clearance before they join and that can take several months. Many applicants come to UK, crack selection then return to their country of residence pending SC. Once SC is gained, you're advised to return to UK around four weeks prior to entry to ensure all selection elements are "in date" before they commence training.

onfinals

Midshipman
@Ninja_Stoker so i gather it should be worthwile to go crash with family in UK to get things moving faster. How much faster you reckon? Worthwile?

Thank you so much for the input so far!

KeepGoing

Midshipman
@onfinals I am a commonwealth citizen and have been living in the UK the last few years, also applied in November last year, but things went quickly for me as I used a local AFCO rather than the international desk. I have a start date fairly soon and I applied in November of last year.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
@Ninja_Stoker so i gather it should be worthwile to go crash with family in UK to get things moving faster. How much faster you reckon? Worthwile?

Thank you so much for the input so far!
Definitely.

The timescale depends how quickly you can complete selection in UK but if you bring a complete copy of your medical records, references and a police check print, it will slice weeks/months of the process timeline.