Over training ?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Countyroadkopite, Jun 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Would I be over training if I went running every morning ? am currently doing a 2 - 3, 5 mile runs a week and 3 nights a week in the gym . I wanna start doing more runs to try and shift some more weight , would I be doing more harm than good running every day ? :?
  2. I thought over training was more like 7 days a week in the gym just working like one muscle group...
    Running every morning will be fine i imagine. Don't neglect swimming, good cv/ fat burning and before you get to Phase 1 ensure you can pass all the physical requirements ie swimming test. The waiting lists are rammed at the moment so everyone had plenty of time to get into good shape. Grips my shit seeing people clog up space on the lists who can't be arsed to run in the morning.....
    I'm sure you'll be fine, good luck!
  3. My routine tends to be 3x running a week and 2x weight sessions a week, but once in a while i have to take that day off as it tends to tire me, especially after a 9-5 job or when i do a night shift, which i either bike or run to work. Over training can effect training on many levels, you will notice that your run times may get slower or when in the gym you may have to lower the weight, every one is different but only YOU will know when it happens. Your best bet is to take a few days off, and hopfully your run times have improved or you have got stronger.
  4. At those fairly short distances 6 days should be fine. My suggestion would be 4 days of jogging, one day of sprint intervals and a chilled-out walk. Additional weights exercises in the evening twice a week and one swim on the rest day.

You need to cross train.
  5. Thanks guys thats put my mind at rest . I had a idea over training was more to do with weight training but wanted to get a 2nd opinion on here . as from tomorrow its run run run and then run some more :strong:
  6. Increase your distance by 10% per week. Don't rush out and double your distances over night. Do the same distance you are doing, but quicker, then the next week run further but slower (and so on).
  7. will do thanks jonno
  8. Sorry for the really late response, but overtraining is basically overeaching without sufficient rest between sessions, so you effectively end up with a deficit (writing cheques your body can't pay).
    Over the short term (a few weeks), that's ok and leads to super compensation and you come back after a scheduled rest (like deloading with weights and cv work, the latter is something most people miss). Over the long term though it can wreck havoc on your training and tends to throw the hormonal system off (the stress hormone cortisol builds up in the blood stream). How long it takes to recover depends on a variety of things, stress, how long you were training on a deficit and nutrition.

In response to the original question. As long as you aren't feeling fatiqued from one day to the next and build up slowly (I assume those distances aren't taxing, unless you're killing yourself every session and trying to hit new pbs every few days), as JonnoJonno suggested a 10% increase per week is about right for the body to adapt to.