Outer Ear infections

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by admiralscruff, Oct 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I am slightly concerned about a history of mild outer ear infections I have, these are mild enough to be gone after a few days of putting antibiotics or something like vinegar into the ear. I can hear well enough with this infection, but, naturally, I hear better without. It isn't on the list of medical conditions that would be a bar to service, but, is there a chance they'll be a problem at the medical or be a bar to entry?
  2. Just a quick comment on this one --the outer ear infection could be the inner ear causing it.
    If it is then there ain't any real cure from it other than anti biotics like you say.
    Anyway I ain't a doc so we'll wait for a qualified reply

3. Recurrent infections could be a sign of either a resistant bug or the wrong diagnosis. You should see your GP about it instead of self-medicating.

As it is, you are likely to run into diffs in your medical if these infections continue.

4. Busy early morning surgery on RR today Angrydoc
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Rather than putting vinegar in your lug-hole, I always try a bit of spongecake, jelly & sherry - it's easier to explain why you're a trifle deaf.
    • Like Like x 3
  6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I recently had an operation to get rid of an infection in my ear. After waking up from the general anaesthetic the surgeon apologized and said I only had 18 months left.

I questioned how was it possible a simple ear infection will cause my life to be cut short.

He laughed, "No! You only have an ear and a half..!"

7. Ninja_Stoker

Pardon? ....
  8. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Aah, "selective hearing" - you're married, aren't you..? :wink:
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Just turned one o'clock, dear.
  10. Haha, very good. It's not THAT bad

Seriously, the antibiotics were prescribed by a Doctor, who thinks it's some sort of allergic reaction, given the state my ear canal is in when infected. He did say it was unlikely to be caused by an inner-ear problem though
    It's on my medical history, and I'll make sure I'm open about it, and just see how it goes.