OU Credits to UCAS points, anyone have any information?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by photface, Jul 30, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,
    I have already looked through all of the threads on UCAS points to no avail and have also looked at the UCAS tariff table for points, yet I have heard OU credits do transfer to UCAS points. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this (that I have not already searched for or mentioned)?
  2. Being as you are a female and an attractive one at that I am sure Ninja Stoker will be along directly to advise you and then put me on a diversity course;)
  3. Haha...thanks slim!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Or you could ask a schoolie - if only there was a competent one to hand...:eek: I'll leave you to the Ninje but my gut feeling is no, cos UCAS points are feeders for degree courses, typically from A levels or myriad equivalents up to Level 3, and OU study(up to Level 6) would give you Credit Accumulation Transfer System of CATS points, good for topping up or moving to another degree , but not as an equivalent system to what is considered lower level study. The simple fact is, as I understand it, you can have a Ph.D and still have snags if you don't have UCAS points. happy to be corrected.

Slim is right, and I hope it works out for you because you do appear to be absolutely essence...
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I can second Trainer's point about getting snagged, having a decent degree myself but almost being rejected outright for not having the required UCAS points. However, the AIB can issue a one-time-use educational waiver to bypass this if your ACLO is able to sway them.
  6. There you go - Press to Test!
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

AIB tend to only offer educational waivers in shortage category branches if there is sufficient relevant academic content in the qualifications beyond degree. For example, if you have a Masters in Law but a Grade D GCSE in English, and want to be a TMO, they may well consider a waiver in lieu of the English GCSE grade. You cannot use a half-baked degree in Soap Operas in lieu of the A Level requirement for a Warfare Officer (although, I could see the logic).

It would be completely incorrect to suggest academic waivers are distributed because of the Tesco Clubcard points & aesthetic score of the individual.

Best bet? Take ALL educational certificates to your AFCO so that they may copy them & make a formal enquiry via AIB - but only if you are otherwise a "near miss" with supporting evidence academically.

The last person I saw with an academic waiver granted as a "one off" managed to crash and burn at the recruiting test, which immediately validated the original academic requirement.

Best of luck.
  8. Thanks very much all. I think I'll just take myself off and get some A Levels in night classes

9. Yet again, witness the TMO branch as the intellectual glue that holds the RN together. Good luck with your Law Masters teaching Maths 3, Control and Gyros at COLLINGRAD.:rolleyes:
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Or join as a rating and work your way up. Remember the Officer Cadre via the AIB is not looking for academics, rather potential to lead.

The ability to be able to shoot the shit with the lads is always handy, so don't disregard the degree in Soap Opera studies, just don't turn up at Ninja's AFCO...:cool:
    • Like Like x 1
  11. So, SO true! when on Mech's course (for it was actually Mech's course) at one stage we had a Geography graduate taking us for the really crazy maths at the end - he (and us) failed miserably until the grown ups gave us Taff the Graph, who was actually a Maths boffin.
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

As has been correctly pointed out, to become a Warfare or Logistics Officer from within the service, you do not need A Levels (Or BTEC L3 accepted equivalent), as a rating, just 5 GCSEs are required (A-C, including maths & English) for academic eligibility.
  13. Ah! Okay. Thanks!