Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Other than the Money, what are the real advantages to boats

Bawsack

Lantern Swinger
Re: Other than the Money, what are the real advantages to bo

Polycell said:
Bawsack said:
Did you read my post? I guess you ignored the 'I also did a deployment on a carrier' part then?

Anyway dont let that get in the way of your opinion.
Yes mupp I read your post AND you said you joined boats at 17 1/2 so lets work this out!!!
Joined up at 16, six months training went to sea perhaps at 16 1/2(doubtful!!) then 1 year later into boats uhmm! Hardly experience is it? Or is it!!
Boats IMO are a totally different Navy and are only comparable to Small ships when it comes to the camaradre and fun that can be had.
Perhaps you did a year on a sweeper as well!!

Who said I joined up at 16 1/2? I joined Repulse in 1992 and when I left it had a bit of time inboard I joined the Illustrious in 1996 to take part in a deployment sailing from Pompey and participating in such delights as Exercise Purple Star returning to join Sovereign a few months later.

Anyway onto your last point, as As Sovereign was in refit, I joined the Blackwater for a few weeks and did some NI stuff, so in answer to your question, yes I did do some time on a sweeper.

Anyway, dont let me shoot you down in shit, come back be offensive again and see where else you can highlight your lack of ability to read and decipher posts..

Jog on......

alex123

Midshipman
bawsack, so you think i should go boats?

whats it like when you first went on one, and did you ever wish you went surface fleet?

Bawsack said:
Polycell said:
Bawsack said:
Did you read my post? I guess you ignored the 'I also did a deployment on a carrier' part then?

Yes mupp I read your post AND you said you joined boats at 17 1/2 so lets work this out!!!
Joined up at 16, six months training went to sea perhaps at 16 1/2(doubtful!!) then 1 year later into boats uhmm! Hardly experience is it? Or is it!!
Boats IMO are a totally different Navy and are only comparable to Small ships when it comes to the camaradre and fun that can be had.

Who said I joined up at 16 1/2? I joined Repulse in 1992 and when I left it had a bit of time inboard I joined the Illustrious in 1996 to take part in a deployment sailing from Pompey and participating in such delights as Exercise Purple Star returning to join Sovereign a few months later.

Anyway onto your last point, as As Sovereign was in refit, I joined the Blackwater for a few weeks and did some NI stuff, so in answer to your question, yes I did do some time on a sweeper.

Anyway, dont let me shoot you down in shit, come back be offensive again and see where else you can highlight your lack of ability to read and decipher posts..

Jog on......

Bas

I am not sure if a few months on Illustrous and a couple of weeks on a sweeper as a Junior/Ordinary Seaman really counts as General Service sea which is long enough to get any real feel for the job. We were thing about at least two 18 month commissions around the world.

Nutty

Bawsack

Lantern Swinger

Nutty said:
Bawsack said:
Polycell said:
Bawsack said:

Jog on......

Bas

I am not sure if a few months on Illustrous and a couple of weeks on a sweeper as a Junior/Ordinary Seaman really counts as General Service sea which is long enough to get any real feel for the job. We were thing about at least two 18 month commissions around the world.

Nutty

Perfectly valid point you raise and ti make it you didnt need to get offensive :thumright: Point taken and it will hopefully get us back onto the OP question.

Only question I would raise from that is how many Service personnel who join the RN these days will benefit from an 18 month deployment around the world? But again that digresses slightly from the OP question. I shall keep quiet now :)

Bawsack said:
Nutty said:
Bawsack said:
Polycell said:
Bawsack said:

Jog on......

Bas

Nutty

Perfectly valid point you raise and ti make it you didnt need to get offensive :thumright: Point taken and it will hopefully get us back onto the OP question.

Only question I would raise from that is how many Service personnel who join the RN these days will benefit from an 18 month deployment around the world? But again that digresses slightly from the OP question. I shall keep quiet now :)

Bas

When I say around the world I mean any place outside of home or UK waters. As 7 month deployments seen to be the norm and you can add work up time, FOST BOST or whatever plus maintenance so let say in the modern parlance you need to do two 7 month deployments IMHO opinion before you go into boats.

Trouble is do we have enough ships for young sailors to get enough sea time in. Sea time being of course at sea not tied up in Guzz or Pompey.

Nutty

Polycell

War Hero

Bawsack said:
Polycell said:
Bawsack said:

Jog on......
You said you joined boats at seventeen and a half and as you supplied no other information other than that as an insight into your Naval career other than this gem!
Bawsack said:
Remember the choice is yours, but I would always choose boats(and I have done a deployment on a carrier as well!!)
What was I meant to surmise?
Except you spent time in Gens., before joining boats so I surmised, obviously wrongly, that you joined up I guessed at 16 did your training and then went to sea.
But that wasn't the whole truth was it!! So as not to confuse a poor old ex P&O diesel submariner (proper submarines) explain yourself fully - thankyou.
So to continue my feelings and opinion
You had a jolly on a carrier! Hardly ships company was it hardly justifies being called any time in General Service!
I did a month in Brighton recruiting office during my OFF Crew time on Repulse hardly qualifies me as a being part of the RN recruiting service!

Bawsack

Lantern Swinger

Back in the old days a deployment was about 2 1/2 years was it not?

I did 6 months, which IMO is more than enough time to get to know the workings of a skimmer. It may not be the huge deployments that used to take place when HMS Excellent was HMS Just Sat but, it is long enough.

Any way our petty bitching is detracting from the OPs question so lets agree to disagree and move on.

Polycell

War Hero

Ballsack said:
Back in the old days a deployment was about 2 1/2 years was it not?

I did 6 months, which IMO is more than enough time to get to know the workings of a skimmer. It may not be the huge deployments that used to take place when HMS Excellent was HMS Just Sat but, it is long enough.

Any way our petty bitching is detracting from the OPs question so lets agree to disagree and move on.
Depends what you call a deployment. FES or any other foreign trip was 18 months. Usual time spent on a skimmer was dependant on you especially in home waters.
Yes 6 months may be enough time to evaluate the workings of a surface craft I didn't say it wasn't. BUT you didn't say that did you?
And what does this mean
Ballsack said:
...........that used to take place when HMS Excellent was HMS Just Sat ............

BARNEYRNSM

War Hero
Having just left the RN and teaching SMQ for my last three years I can tell you that anyone who does not make the grade at SMQ has to be a really keen bloke to get the instructors to try and keep him in as a general service rating. I used to take great delight in informing the wasters that slipped thro the net to SMQ how S/Ms are not an easy option and
are hard work but the pay and the lads you work with make it all worthwhile. If was 18 now I would do it all again,GS then go boats.
DBFMA

shaddythers

Badgeman

I agree. I can think of only one rating who was returned General Service. The powers that be briefly tried sending skimmer wastage over, but they wouldnt make it past week three of SMQ!
That soon put that idea to bed. So its a myth that all the dross end up on boats.

clanky

War Hero

shaddythers said:
I agree. I can think of only one rating who was returned General Service. The powers that be briefly tried sending skimmer wastage over, but they wouldnt make it past week three of SMQ!
That soon put that idea to bed. So its a myth that all the dross end up on boats.

How times have changed. There where 4 ex sundodgers just in my last mess.I can think of several acquaintances who have also made the jump. Whilst most of them claim to have enjoyed their time on boats, the general concensus seems to be that the extra money is no longer worth the candle.
Hence the changes to SM manning currently in the pipeline(allegedly :thumright: )

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil BBC R4: Wed, 23rd September 2020 - 3 PM - Money Box Live - Armed Forces Financial Help Finance & Pensions 2
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh RN Submarine School - Torpoint Marathon To Raise Money For The Submariners' Memorial Appeal Submariners 3
MoD_RSS Scottish teenagers each to get access to pot of money over the next nine years MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Regulator updates guidance on Value for Money metrics MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK calls for global action to protect vital money transfers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Charity operating in high-risk areas ‘reckless’ with charity’s money MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New Sellafield bus contract will improve service and save money MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Student Money Week 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Regulator publishes value for money annex to its 2019 Global Accounts MoD News 0
soleil Refinery 29: "Money Diary - A Submariner On £43k In Her Last Week On Shore For Months" Submariners 17
MoD_RSS More than 100,00 civil money claims issued online MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Bankruptcy restrictions for gambler who squandered friend’s money MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DAO 04/19 Update to Managing Public Money Annexes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Money sender fined record £7.8 million in money laundering crackdown MoD News 1
MoD_RSS Criminals to face fresh crackdown in fight against dirty money MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: New rules to better protect renters' money MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Estate agents targeted in money laundering crackdown MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Builder banned for taking clients’ money despite company’s insolvency MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: New measures to tackle international money laundering MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK takes top spot in fight against dirty money MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Government campaign to prevent properties bought with dirty money MoD News 0
vauxhall AFF Launches Money Month Finance & Pensions 0
MoD_RSS News story: Better value for money and fairer profits MoD News 0
Putzifly Surrey dripping with money voted to leave-Why? The Gash Barge 49
joeG How much money should i take to raleigh? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
F Finx's funny money The Gash Barge 14
soleil Telegraph: "'Britain Must Scale Back Ambitions Without More Defence Money'" Current Affairs 19
sgtpepperband Take Two 'Normal' People, Add Money To Just One Of Them, And Watch What Happens Next The Quarterdeck 26
P It's one way to make money The Gash Barge 1
MoD_RSS Announcement: The Defence Secretary on delivering value for money and innovation in D MoD News 0
sgtpepperband Cameron: "We are raising money for the rich" Current Affairs 7
soleil HMS Westminster - Martin Lewis Money Show - ITV1 - Tuesday, December 11th 2012 The Fleet 1
trelawney126 Olympic money for Lands End Current Affairs 2
L A blonde, wanting to earn money.?. Miscellaneous 0
F Governments and our money The Gash Barge 3
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp £37k - Value for (our) Money? Diamond Lil's 20
soleil Mail: "One Pranged Sub Etc - How The Hard-Up MoD Wasted £110m Of Our Money" Current Affairs 5
trelawney126 Another Waste of Money Diamond Lil's 17
Naval_Gazer MW Branch cyclists raising money for RN & RM Charity and Project Vernon Charity 6
janner Help with money The Gash Barge 10
trelawney126 Scilly Isles £38m.Transport Links Not Value for Money States MP Current Affairs 7
mazza_magoo money Miscellaneous 0
The_Caretaker Taking a break from counting his money Miscellaneous 0
A The Insurance Money Miscellaneous 0
Topstop So F-18s it is then if the Septics want to save more money? The Fleet Air Arm 3
yamyamdabber Clock off for a smoke! Why dont the Navy save money! Current Affairs 15
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Prize Money Current Affairs 4
Stirling Guilt Money ?. Current Affairs 9
stokers64 raising money for H4H Charity 0
Capn_Pugwash SCC makeover - what a *^%$£& waste of time and money SCC and URNU 14