OTC and the Navy

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Smuke, Apr 20, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm currently a first year undergrad at University. At fresher's fair I joined the Officer Training Corps and so far have had a lot of fun. However, over these past few weeks i've had a growing interest in joining the Navy as a Warfare Officer. I was wondering if joining the OTC would raise questions about my commitment to the Navy (instead of the URNU), or if it would be looked upon favourably as leadership training?
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  2. Hi Smuke I wouldn't worry about it. I was in the OTC for 2 years at uni and had a blast and I start at Dartmouth in May. My uni didn't have a URNU or a nearby one and it was during OTC that I really began to consider a military career.
  3. Does the Officers' Training Corps or your University education teach you how to use an apostrophe?
  4. Thanks D_Dawg. Seen as though my University does have a URNU (joined OTC before i'd really considered the Navy), would they question why I didn't join the URNU?
  5. They did ask me during my AIB why I wanted to join the Navy as opposed to the Army. I just answered as truthfully as possible and there didn't seem to be any problems.
  6. Don't worry about it - at least you'll spare your new Division mates dits that start with "when I was in the URNU...."
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

When I was 2i/c of an URNU*cough, cough*, less than 4% of undergrads went on to actually join the Navy, so it would follow that the OTC wouldn't be too miffed if one of the students in their university society didn't elect to become a pongo.

Likewise the fact that someone attends a university and elects not to join an available URNU, preferring to get drunk in alternative varsity society, does not adversely effect the selection decision.