Orthodontic braces

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by sazzz, Nov 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sorry if its been done before, i did a search and found nothing.
    Right now, i have train track braces. My medical is going to be in January, and i am not sure if they will be removed by then. Will i need them taken off before hand?
    Thanks, sorry if that's badly worded, (or in the wrong place), feel free to ask for clarification if needed on anything :)

2. thank you :D

3. What you talkin' 'bout Willis, I can't see any braces there. :wink:

4. Hi,
    I also have fixed braces top teeth and a fixed back wire along my bottom teeth - lucky me ! I am hoping for May intake and on a recent visit to my orthodontist top brace won't be able to come off until around the summer. The bottom one is a permanent one which on my last medical was told this was fine. However, I am concerned about my top fixed brace 'train - tracks' will I be allowed to wear these, as I believe there are no facilities to take care of them if they break.

Cheers

5. Just call a RM Colour Sergeant 'Staff'. The problem will probably go away of its own accord.

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Again I'm not medically qualified to advise, but orthodontal treament with fixed braces must usually be complete/removed or a removable retainer fitted before you may be passed fit for entry.

The service, may in exceptional circumstances, make provision for ongoing othodontal treatment, but I've yet to come across it from an AFCO perspective.

The advice, unless angrydoc advises differently, is to contact your AFCO first thing next week to gain definitive guidance.

7. No facilities to take care of them if they break? Bollocks. They're piss easy to fix - I fixed a set in a cubicle of a local Emergency Department yesterday. And I'm not even a dentist (even though the local population seem to think that Emergency Departments are good places to go when you need to see a dentist in the middle of the night and can't be arsed phoning the number under 'Emergency Dentist' in the phone book).

8. I failed my first Medical for having a "Traintrack brace" on the bottom teeth...

Had them took off early and had to do the medical again, despite the fact they would of been off within a month or two anyway and entry is not till May/September.

bah

9. =-D Classic

10. Classic yes but not without problems when you attempt to retrieve said brace from the other end of the alimentary tract.