Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Origins of the term "crossing the bar"?!

maffism

Badgeman
Question 1 - What does "crossing the bar" mean in jackspeak? Does it mean dying?

Question 2 - What's the origin of the term?

Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong forum.

Wightsparker

War Hero
To add to Dapperdunn's post.

http://farringford.co.uk/tennyson

This link gives a bit more information, referring to Tennyson's home at Farringford near Freshwater on the Isle of Wight. It says the poem was written during a journey from the mainland to the Island.

I think he usually made the crossing from Lymington to Yarmouth, but whilst there are "bars" in other estuaries I'm not aware of a particular bar in the Lymington river.

However, the channel is pretty twisting, and anyone heading towards the Isle of Wight from Lymington in a small boat could well cross sandbanks at high water, which could have inspired Tennyson to write his poem.

maffism

Badgeman
To add to Dapperdunn's post.

http://farringford.co.uk/tennyson

This link gives a bit more information, referring to Tennyson's home at Farringford near Freshwater on the Isle of Wight. It says the poem was written during a journey from the mainland to the Island.

I think he usually made the crossing from Lymington to Yarmouth, but whilst there are "bars" in other estuaries I'm not aware of a particular bar in the Lymington river.

However, the channel is pretty twisting, and anyone heading towards the Isle of Wight from Lymington in a small boat could well cross sandbanks at high water, which could have inspired Tennyson to write his poem.

Thanks wightsparker. I forgot the fact that bar was also a nautical term.

Wightsparker

War Hero
It was doubly significant for the late Oliver Reed when he got into a drinking contest with members of HMS Cumberland's ship's company in a Malta bar.......

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
The Doom Bar at the mouth of the Camel estuary is so famous they named a beer after it (and very nice it is too, on draught).

Stirlin

War Hero
The Doom Bar at the mouth of the Camel estuary is so famous they named a beer after it (and very nice it is too, on draught).
Does not travel well Wrecks , the DB I have sampled down south is as you say pretty good , oop north it is bloody awful , suspect it may be brewed up here on license , different water and all that.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Does not travel well Wrecks , the DB I have sampled down south is as you say pretty good , oop north it is bloody awful , suspect it may be brewed up here on license , different water and all that.
As it says on Dappers link, the bottled stuff is way inferior to the cask stuff, I would definitely put it down to the water.

Makes oi larf when the bottled stuff is brewed oop North and transported back down here for my local supermarkets when the real stuff is brewed 30 miles away.

Same as Ginsters pasties (spit) are made where I live, transported up to a distribution centre near Coventry, then brought all the back down again to be sold in the Tesco's next door to the factory, it would be cheaper just chucking them over the wall.
There again, no-one who lives in Cornwall eats Ginsters.

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
As it says on Dappers link, the bottled stuff is way inferior to the cask stuff, I would definitely put it down to the water.

Makes oi larf when the bottled stuff is brewed oop North and transported back down here for my local supermarkets when the real stuff is brewed 30 miles away.

Same as Ginsters pasties (spit) are made where I live, transported up to a distribution centre near Coventry, then brought all the back down again to be sold in the Tesco's next door to the factory, it would be cheaper just chucking them over the wall.
There again, no-one who lives in Cornwall eats Ginsters.
I agree with you buddy, but I'd hardly class Burton upon Trent as 'oop North'! :)

Ballistic

War Hero
I don't think Doom Bar tastes as good as it did before the brewery was taken over a few years ago by (I think) a yank firm.
Just a bit too sweet for a bitter IMHO but I'll still drink it.

Incidentally, I don't notice any difference in draught Doom Bar between my local in the Guzz area and my other local in Lancashire :)

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I don't think Doom Bar tastes as good as it did before the brewery was taken over a few years ago by (I think) a yank firm.
Just a bit too sweet for a bitter IMHO but I'll still drink it.

Incidentally, I don't notice any difference in draught Doom Bar between my local in the Guzz area and my other local in Lancashire :)
Draught is brewed in Cornwall, bottles in Burton.

Stirlin

War Hero
Yeah, I know.
Just making the point that I reckon the draught does travel OK, contrary to Stirlin's experience. Maybe it depends how it's kept on arrival...
Must be me :( , will stick with this in future.
-

When Coor's bought Sharpe's, Doom Bar beer crossed the bar shortly after. As Ballistic mentioned, it became cloyingly sweet; to much for my Northern peasant tastes.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
When Coor's bought Sharpe's, Doom Bar beer crossed the bar shortly after. As Ballistic mentioned, it became cloyingly sweet; to much for my Northern peasant tastes.
I had to have a few in the pub last night, just for research purposes you understand, and you're right. The 5th pint was definitely sweeter than the first one :)

Stirlin

War Hero
I had to have a few in the pub last night, just for research purposes you understand, and you're right. The 5th pint was definitely sweeter than the first one :)

Apply for a grant to do further research , of course you will need some staff to accompany you to the pub .
I am retired BTW so plenty of free time. :)

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Apply for a grant to do further research , of course you will need some staff to accompany you to the pub .
I am retired BTW so plenty of free time. :)
Sold to the man in the hat, there's bound to be some Government Dept gullible enough to sponsor a five year research programme!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Stirlin Gothic Literature Origins. The Book Club 2
pinkprincess The origins of 'Navy names' Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 33
C Origins of Naval Nicknames The Quarterdeck 34
MoD_RSS £5 billion in student finance paid so far this term MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Health Secretary warns of long-term effects of COVID-19 as new film released MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ensuring long-term stability in the Central African Republic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK elected to UN Human Rights Council for the term 2021-23 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 99.9 per cent of schools open for start of autumn term MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government to help pension schemes seize long-term opportunities MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ofsted support for area SEND arrangements this autumn term MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Research study into long-term health impacts of COVID-19 launched in the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Multi-billion pound investment as government unveils new long-term plan to tackle flooding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Supporting LDCs through short and long-term pandemic recovery MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Trio receive jail term for dumping mustard gas bombs in a Lincolnshire lake MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK calls for ‘long term’ approach to prepare for future pandemics at World Bank meeting MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chief Inspector of Borders and Immigration extends term MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Governor Dakin's radio address: additional short-term lockdown measures over Easter holiday MoD News 0
U Has "Chinese Flu" crippled the West long term? Current Affairs 18
MoD_RSS Sir Brendan Barber's term as Chair of Acas extended by 6 months MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Migration Advisory Committee Chair extends term MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Appointment term extended of existing Non-Executive members of Northern Ireland Transport Holding Company MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Birmingham gang member who violently attacked victim by public restaurant receives longer jail term MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Bankrupt hid property from Official Receiver receives prison term MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £1 million to boost haulage sector and combat long-term unemployment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Paul Newby to leave the PCA role at end of four year term MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Kent woman's jail term for waste crime role MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Escalation is not in the long-term interest of any of the parties MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Illegal waste operation leads to prison term for man and £314,000 compensation for victim MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Delivering long term stability to the Sahel region MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Extension of Peter Ainsworth’s term as Chair and Nat Sloane’s term as the England Committee Chair at the National Lottery Community Fund MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: European Commission consultation on short-term export credit rules MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: New research on the long-term health of 2 groups of older veterans MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Justice Secretary David Gauke sets out long-term for justice MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Long-term plan for GCSE computer science confirmed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement to parliament: Secretary of State's oral statement on the NHS Long Term Plan MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: NHS Long Term Plan launched MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM: Launch of the NHS Long Term Plan marks an historic step to secure its future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Prison term increased for Gateshead rapist MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: £40 million personalised support package for long-term unemployed disabled people launched MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Number of children in long-term workless households at lowest level in over a decade MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Homes England plan to tackle long-term housing challenges MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Chair of the Civil Aviation Authority reappointed for extended term MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: New UK support to boost long-term stability in Somalia MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Delivering Long-Term Peace in Ukraine MoD News 0
S Raleigh term dates Joining the Royal Navy 3
B Old Term for Replenishment at Sea History 11
MoD_RSS Press release: New taskforce to provide long-term support to all those affected by Tunisia... MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Long term economic plan for the south-west unveiled MoD News 0
slim Bigot is this a new term used when someone looses the arguement? Discuss Diamond Lil's 51
slim Where did the term draft come from? The Quarterdeck 12