Originally Joining as a WTE but transferred to AET, now i am worried i made the wrong decision.

Tower_01

Hi im new here so hopefully someone can help out.

As the title says, up until today i was going to join the RN as a ET(WE) but today i have transferred to AET. Now as stupid it as it sounds im just wondering from peoples experiences of either branches if ive made the wrong decision or not.

The reason i swapped is that the waiting time for ET(WE) was 9-months to a year (i'd more or less be starting in 2020) so i swapped to AET which is 3-4 months. I done more research and seem that going to the FAA could be beneficial if i was to come back to civy life as jobs in the aircraft sector are in high demand and pay well. Other thoughts i had was is that the PO at my local AFCO mentioned the ET(WE) is a highly sought after job, so i thought the promotion ladder might be harder to climb if theres more competition. Now Im not the smartest cookie out there but all im saying is my career progession could be slower than others.

I know im planning way a head and im just about to turn 18 in less than a month so this planning ahead might seem a bit extreme.

Main Questions:
  1. Have I f****d up badly?
  2. Should I stuck with the ET(WE) as it was my first choice?
  3. How beneficial are each branch in terms of qualifications and skills transferable back to 'civy street'?
  4. Do AETs have any other duties apart from maintaining aircraft whilst embarked on a ship?

I hope this makes sense, I feel i have just jumped at the nearest opportunity to get into the navy as life at home is pretty boring right now. Don't get me wrong i wanted to join the navy but now i feel im at risk of going into a job i might not enjoy, just seeing if anyone has experienced this sort of "issue".

Thank you in advance!

• Have I f****d up badly? No, its gods trade :)
  • Should I stuck with the ET(WE) as it was my first choice? Don't Know?
  • How beneficial are each branch in terms of qualifications and skills transferable back to 'civy street'? There are loads of aircraft taking chavs to Ibiza that need fixing, not too sure how many weapons they have.
  • Do AETs have any other duties apart from maintaining aircraft whilst embarked on a ship? Yes, but you will be too busy to do them as aircraft have an average of 8 maintainability hours to 1 flying hour.

slim

War Hero
I've been looking around the forums and noticed that people talk about the FAA regarding to them as WAFU and "god's trade" is this just friendly banter or is there a some sort of grudge from surface fleet towards FAA?
The FAA is Gods favourite branch of the service and do not forget it or allow the inferier branches to take the piss! (Stand fast submariners who though smelly dirty individuals God seems to have a special place in his heart for)
Having completed 22 years as a Wafu in 1985 it never entered my head to stay in aviation. My skills were transferable to industry with few problems.
I worked on the SINS program on submarines (hence my respect for submariners)
I worked on the Phalanx system and gun fire control systems.
Finally after 8 years I left military systems and joined the Tobacco industry working on Cigarette manufacturing equipement.
Remember ALL skills whether electrical, mechanical or managerial are transferrable to civilian occupations.
The RN gives every sailor an annual educational allawance................................USE IT!
Planning for your eventual discharge from the service starts the day after you complete part two training

Taztiff

War Hero
  • Have I f****d up badly? No, its gods trade :) Matter of opinion but no, in my view (I was WE) both 'branches' are technically equivalent. Its just a matter of what bit of kit you work on and where. WAFUs have more paperwork though - very big on safety.
  • Should I stuck with the ET(WE) as it was my first choice? Don't Know? Yes / No - again I was WE but if your desire was to get in the RN as quickly as possible its your choice. Your concern should revolve around the pros and cons of service life - it used to be that WAFUs always stayed at home but that is not always the case. There are plenty of stories of people joining a branch they didnt want to just to get in early. Personally though, as I said earlier, not too different technically but maybe different lifestyle.
  • How beneficial are each branch in terms of qualifications and skills transferable back to 'civy street'? There are loads of aircraft taking chavs to Ibiza that need fixing, not too sure how many weapons they have. I have spent 18 years since leaving the mob no where near weapons. Mostly working on automated production lines. I found the difference mostly being how how the 'management' determined operational requirements - just a difference in wording really.
  • Do AETs have any other duties apart from maintaining aircraft whilst embarked on a ship? Yes, but you will be too busy to do them as aircraft have an average of 8 maintainability hours to 1 flying hour. Clicky beds dont maintain themselves you know!