Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Origin of the Outside Wrecker

Joe_Crow

War Hero
janner said:
Sorry about the delay, just got this answer

As far as I know the word ‘Scratcher’ derived from the fact that he was scratching after the Coxswain Job’ Being one myself many years ago I did the job of running the boat on several occasions until I was recommended for Cox’n. When I became a 2nd Cox’n I was only a UW3, so never held a 2nd class rate becoming an Acting Chief from then on as a Cox’n,. My trade certificate says I was a Cox’n for 11 years and 7 months but I was only made a proper Chief for the last six of my Service.

‘Outside Wrecker’ is of course a different kettle of fish, in the first place it was always an ERA1 whose job it was to look after and maintain all the machinery not in the ER and as ‘tiffies’ had a reputation of ‘If it don’t work, get a bigger hammer!!?’. Hence the word Wrecker.
Cheers for answering the Scratcher question, even if it leaves me a bit bemused. As for your Wreckers jibe, all I can say is you must have worked with hamateurs if they didn't pick the right size tool in the first place.

witsend said:
Polto said:
Maybe the scratcher is the scratcher because he's always scratching his head trying to figure out which bollard to put the rope on... :scratch:

Evenin' wrecker... :lol:

Or he's always got a dose.

I certainly knew one who collected some crabs from a Dunbarton Deb

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
This explanation was sent to me by (probably) the oldest surviving Boat Coxn, so it is obviously true!!!!

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Joe_Crow said:
janner said:
Sorry about the delay, just got this answer

As far as I know the word ‘Scratcher’ derived from the fact that he was scratching after the Coxswain Job’ Being one myself many years ago I did the job of running the boat on several occasions until I was recommended for Cox’n. When I became a 2nd Cox’n I was only a UW3, so never held a 2nd class rate becoming an Acting Chief from then on as a Cox’n,. My trade certificate says I was a Cox’n for 11 years and 7 months but I was only made a proper Chief for the last six of my Service.

‘Outside Wrecker’ is of course a different kettle of fish, in the first place it was always an ERA1 whose job it was to look after and maintain all the machinery not in the ER and as ‘tiffies’ had a reputation of ‘If it don’t work, get a bigger hammer!!?’. Hence the word Wrecker.
Cheers for answering the Scratcher question, even if it leaves me a bit bemused. As for your Wreckers jibe, all I can say is you must have worked with hamateurs if they didn't pick the right size tool in the first place.

Totally agree, shifters rule OK :wink:

I myaself think that Wrecker comes from the knickname for some unfortunate Outside ERA who had a disaster and the knickname stuck and spread as they often do

I thought that an outside wrecker was an outside ERA, responsible for everything outside the engine room; concur with Polycell. Scartcher, I thought comes from scartching about on the casing. When I was in general service I was on a ship where seaman were called 'sand scartchers' because they scartch about on the upper deck. I wander if the name scartcher comes from that.

I was scatcher's dickey on two boats, the first one I hated the job on the second I loved it that much that I wanted to be a scatcher. I passed for killick but got a medical dicharge instead.

Happy days though.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
So, what about Sonar Benders then?!??! As I understand it, it is 'cos we sometimes bend them a little, when fixing them with the wrong sized hammer, er, tool. :oops:

NOTHING at all to do with Benders, unless of the alchoholic variety!! :roll:

Outside wrecker, a name given as anything appropriate may be made to do the job tooling wise if the correct tool is unavailable and therefore may "wreck the part trying to fix it" or fix it but leave it in a wrecked state afterwards.

Sorry for late reply was chatting to an ex Outside Wrecker from Faslane (Retired) in his 80’s and I’d never heard of one, looked it up on the net found this site, that’s the story he gave me for why they called em Wreckers

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Inspection report published: Inspection of Country of Origin Information, June 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Inspection report published: Inspection of Country of Origin Information, January 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Handwritten page from Darwin's ‘On The Origin Of Species’ at risk of export from the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: The Chief Inspector publishes his latest country of origin information report MoD News 0
Goatherder What is the origin of the nickname 'Blood' Reed/Reid? The Quarterdeck 14
janner The origin of Man Miscellaneous 1
jesse The origin of the species. Diamond Lil's 4
21_Man Naval Ships of Clyde Origin The Fleet 0
T The Origin of Sex The Gash Barge 6
paddlequack UK TERRORISTS Be Ret'nd back to Country of Origin? Current Affairs 49
B (joke) Origin of the word "Marine" The Corps 38
MoD_RSS Survey reveals inequality in children spending time outside during pandemic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Outside the EU, a bright future awaits Britain MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Groups of up to six from different households can exercise outside under new rules MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM: Six people can meet outside under new measures to ease lockdown MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Five times more demand for UK exports from outside the EU MoD News 0
MoD_RSS A brighter future for Wales outside the EU MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Warning to educational charity after trustees acted outside objects to build mosque MoD News 0
S RFA - living outside the Uk in the last 5 years Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
L Going Outside - Joining the Merch Finance & Pensions 26
Naval_Gazer Wasp crash lands outside HMS Sultan The Fleet Air Arm 5
T Motorman jobs outside Rfa RFA 1
soleil Anders Lassen Award Awarded Outside Of Denmark For The First Time Current Affairs 2
digger84 Outside lighting Hobbies & The Great Indoors 1
wet_blobby Ok...who's parked their ship outside? Diamond Lil's 7
B Time outside of the UK. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
frogman007 Service complaint against me-I'm outside? The Quarterdeck 163
G Look who turned up outside my house. Diamond Lil's 30
digger84 Buying a car whilst posted outside the UK. Motoring 4
I Blank ammunition dumped outside Coulport Current Affairs 0
N sports outside the navy ? Blogs 4
Topstop F1. McLaren goes round the outside Diamond Lil's 6
malspal Thinking outside of the square Diamond Lil's 5
C In comparison to post, guys with familys outside of the navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
carter88 A question for all the guys with familys outside of the navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 31
S Going outside The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 4
21_Man Think Outside the Box? The Quarterdeck 19
H Maritime Careers outside the Royal Navy The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 21
S Life outside the navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
bikerman smoking ban outside WTF Current Affairs 35
dt018a9667 Life Outside The Quarterdeck 17
BillyNoMates Meanwhile - in Wrecker L's back garden. Diamond Lil's 6