Origin of the Outside Wrecker

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by deep-diver, Oct 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone tell me the origin of 'Outside Wrecker' the term used to describe the Outside ERA in SSKs ?

2. I believe the term originated during WWI, when the OERA, as part of the boarding party, was tasked with scuttling (or 'wrecking') any enemy vessels captured.

3. Don't think so Joe. I believe it was just a term originated by the rest of the crew towards the Outside ERA inferring the outside tiff wrecked more than he fixed a sort of term of endearment.

4. This is what I heard too..

5. Cant be that,ours spent most of his time at sea in his pit! :lol:

6. As I remember it the outside wrecker was just that, the outside wrecker - ERA par excellence !!

7. I think Polto is right! Next question, why is the Scratcher so called?

8. Going back one, I was Wrecker L on 3 boats and was always asked why I was called the Wrecker. Answer..haven't got a scooby but as I was wrecker with Polto on one boat I'll go along with him.

Grocer 'cos the cox'n did the victualling but Scratcher :dontknow:

9. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

,,,heard it explained like that.

Since Joe is a wrecker as well, I'll have to go along with that explanation.

10. Maybe the scratcher is the scratcher because he's always scratching his head trying to figure out which bollard to put the rope on... :scratch:

Evenin' wrecker... :lol:

11. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Or he's always got a dose.

12. Evenin' Polto...and bollards to you too :p

13. Indeed - another whishky over here pleeshe....cheers!

14. Feck, I'm only on me second Becks...playing catch up again

15. Backtracking a bit, could it be that his empire was everything outside the donk shop ?

16. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Is this term unique to S/Ms? In big ships the most junior engineer officer had 'Outside Machinery' as his part of ship, meaning everything outside the boiler and engine rooms. I have a vague feeling he may have been called the Outside Wrecker but, not being a plumber, I can't confirm this.

17. Yep, JD. Thats the 'Outside' bit :wink:
    But the Wrecker connation is as I said - true!!

18. I knew one holder of the said post who was so on top of his job/cool with it that he became known as the Outside 'Racker'.

19. Thanks chaps - I think I'll go with Joe Crow.
    Many thanks for all the info.
    Old Hand : Sea Scout, Artemis, Otus, Valiant

20. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Sorry about the delay, just got this answer

As far as I know the word ‘Scratcher’ derived from the fact that he was scratching after the Coxswain Job’ Being one myself many years ago I did the job of running the boat on several occasions until I was recommended for Cox’n. When I became a 2nd Cox’n I was only a UW3, so never held a 2nd class rate becoming an Acting Chief from then on as a Cox’n,. My trade certificate says I was a Cox’n for 11 years and 7 months but I was only made a proper Chief for the last six of my Service.

‘Outside Wrecker’ is of course a different kettle of fish, in the first place it was always an ERA1 whose job it was to look after and maintain all the machinery not in the ER and as ‘tiffies’ had a reputation of ‘If it don’t work, get a bigger hammer!!?’. Hence the word Wrecker.