Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Organ (Field), Portable, Small

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I mentioned the Organ, Portable, Small to a fellow (but ex-RM) dinosaur yesterday and he came back with an Organ (Field), Portable, Small which he said was part of the kit of a Commando and was back-packed by the Padre's Yeoman. Are these still around? (the organs and the P's Yeomen). ... or was he pulling my leg ..

They are still widely used in Indian Traditional music, though I have never seen one in use in anger in the RN, mainly because post Dartmouth I didn't go to church

lsadirty

War Hero
We had an organ, portable (small) on RESO's first commision. The Jimmy used to provide pedal power, then got bored with it and ordered the Wreckers to rig up some sort of connection through the EBS system to save his legs. This provided us with the never to be forgotten sight of the organ becoming highly portable at the end of the air line, and getting smaller as it bounced around the dining hall off bulkheads and deckhead. Just wish I could remember how the 126 was worded. One of those moments which still reduces me to fits of hysterical laughter.

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
It was the RM Padre's Yeoman 'with the organ on his back' that intrigued me. Long ago HMS Newfoundland had an OCRM who remarked one day that he put in for a commission during the war because he was fed up with humping the whitewashed rocks for the officers' mess garden around in his back pack.

The 'Organ, Portable, Small' always made for some interesting seaboat transfers in awkward weather. However, this amusing excerpt comes from the webpage of David Wakefield, the President of the Organ Club:

David Wakefield said:
...Britannia Royal Naval College, Dartmouth was, perhaps surprisingly, the next stage in my musical education. The College chapel had a fine 3 manual organ by Hele and Company of Saltash, boldly voiced to accompany 200 young men singing at the tops of their voices, and on which I had my first organ lessons. Sadly, warships tend not to be equipped with pipe organs (a regrettable omission on the part of the MOD) and we had to make do with a standard issue “organ, portable, small†as it was designated in the Stores Manual. This was a 4 octave harmonium which collapsed into a small rectangular box; in playing mode the hinged legs were held in place by a bracing spar, but “collapsible†was the operative word, as it frequently did in rough weather and the hapless organist would find the organ on his lap during the lusty singing of “Eternal Fatherâ€. Apart from these outings, my organ playing ceased save for the occasional chance to play at the Royal Naval College, Greenwich and the Royal Hospital School, Holbrook.

My naval career encompassed service in frigates, destroyers, submarines and assault ships, including a year as a Field Gun Officer at the Royal Tournament, 2 years as the senior watchkeeper in HMS Repulse, a Polaris submarine, 21/2 years as the assistant private secretary to the Second Sea Lord in the MOD and a final appointment as the Commander (logistics) in HMS Antrim during the Falkland’s war, during which we were one of several recipients of unexploded British WWII bombs, sold to Argentina some years previously...

And finally, what do you get if you drop an 'Organ, Portable, Small' on a Royal Marines base?
Answer: A flat major.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS News story: Opt-out organ donation: Max and Keira's Bill passed into law MoD News 0
T Blood/Bone/Organ Donor's Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
sgtpepperband Code Organ The Internet - Best and Worst 3
slim Advertising for Organ donors. Diamond Lil's 15
S Organ donor question Diamond Lil's 12
MoD_RSS UN Human Rights Council 45: statement for resolution L.52, Assistance to Somalia in the field of human rights MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Emerging Canadian leaders in the medical field secure UK Government's Chevening Scholarship MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Green light for ground-breaking bovine TB vaccine field trials MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Recovered appeal: land at Levitt's Field, Waterbeach Waste Management Park, Ely Road, Cambridgeshire (ref: 3225123 - 15 June 2020) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS An inspection of Home Office (Borders, Immigration and Citizenship System) intelligence collection capabilities, focusing on its field intelligence wo MoD News 0
MoD_RSS High-tech products to level the playing field for disabled pupils MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UN Human Rights Council 42: UK Statement on Cooperation with the United Nations, its representative and mechanisms in the field of human rights MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: FCO Minister Field attends OECD annual Ministerial meeting MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Mark Field statement on settlement plans across the West Bank MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Level playing field for all operators is key aim of traffic commissioners MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Minister Field visits Paris to discuss anti-corruption and disinformation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: On Southeast Asia and UK's deepening Fintech partnership: Op-ed by Mark Field MP MoD News 0
C Fun in the Field August Bank Holiday. Social & Reunions 0
MoD_RSS Press release: SMEs to have easier access to government contracts with action plan to level playing field MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Minister for Asia Mark Field visited India MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Cairncross report recommends levelling of the playing field for UK journalism MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign Office Minister Mark Field visits South Korea MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Speech by The Rt Hon Mark Field MP, Minister of State, Foreign and Commonwealth Office MoD News 0
F Chatham Field Gun Crews 1951 & 1952 Social & Reunions 2
MoD_RSS Speech: The Future of ASEAN-UK Cooperation, Post-Brexit: Minister Field MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: The UK and All of Asia, a modern partnership: Mark Field's speech MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Medical Services (Whittington) Field Gun Crew battles it out at HMS Collingwood MoD News 0
soleil HMS Collingwood Open Day And 2018 RN Field Gun Competition - Saturday, June 2nd 2018 Bases / Shore Est 10
MoD_RSS Press release: Minister Field's remarks to media at the February 2018 EU Foreign Affairs... MoD News 0
L Chatham Field Gun Crew 1957 - looking for footage/photos History 2
MoD_RSS Press release: FCO Minister for Asia and the Pacific Mark Field to attend UN Security... MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Mark Field statement at UN Security Council North Korea meeting MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Welsh Secretary pays tribute to Armed Forces at Welsh Field of Remembrance MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Non-proliferation: UN Security Council statement by Mark Field MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Mark Field arrives in South Korea for talks on regional and global security MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: UK field hospital in South Sudan fully operational MoD News 0
BARNEYRNSM SCC Field gun SCC and URNU 12
MoD_RSS News story: Changing the way small field robots are developed MoD News 0
Sgt Jobsearch Field Service Engineer - Melton Mowbray - £Negotiable The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Field Service Engineer (Electronics) - Bramshill - Circa £30,000 DOE The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Refrigeration Field Service Engineer - Inverness - £27,500 to £30,000 The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Instrumentation Engineer (Field Based) - Royston - £Competitive The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Field Service Engineer - Guildford - £24,000 to £27,000 The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Field Service Engineer - Twickenham - £26,000 + Overtime + Callout Allowance The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Field Service Customer Support Engineer - North - £35,000 - £40,000 + Attractive Benefits The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Field Service Engineer - Gloucester - £Negotiable + Benefits The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Field Service Engineer - Edinburgh - £22,500 + benefits The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Field Service Engineer - Anglia - £Competitive + Benefits The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Field Service Engineer - South - £Competitive + Benefits The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Field Service Engineer - South East - £Competitive + Benefits The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0