Organ (Field), Portable, Small

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by Seaweed, Jun 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

I mentioned the Organ, Portable, Small to a fellow (but ex-RM) dinosaur yesterday and he came back with an Organ (Field), Portable, Small which he said was part of the kit of a Commando and was back-packed by the Padre's Yeoman. Are these still around? (the organs and the P's Yeomen). ... or was he pulling my leg ..

2. They are still widely used in Indian Traditional music, though I have never seen one in use in anger in the RN, mainly because post Dartmouth I didn't go to church

3. We had an organ, portable (small) on RESO's first commision. The Jimmy used to provide pedal power, then got bored with it and ordered the Wreckers to rig up some sort of connection through the EBS system to save his legs. This provided us with the never to be forgotten sight of the organ becoming highly portable at the end of the air line, and getting smaller as it bounced around the dining hall off bulkheads and deckhead. Just wish I could remember how the 126 was worded. One of those moments which still reduces me to fits of hysterical laughter.

4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

5. I do believe it must be contageous! Ace! :D

6. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

It was the RM Padre's Yeoman 'with the organ on his back' that intrigued me. Long ago HMS Newfoundland had an OCRM who remarked one day that he put in for a commission during the war because he was fed up with humping the whitewashed rocks for the officers' mess garden around in his back pack.

7. The 'Organ, Portable, Small' always made for some interesting seaboat transfers in awkward weather. However, this amusing excerpt comes from the webpage of David Wakefield, the President of the Organ Club:

And finally, what do you get if you drop an 'Organ, Portable, Small' on a Royal Marines base?
    Answer: A flat major.