Organ donor question

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by seafarer1939, Aug 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Someone did a survey in the boozer lasty night[well it was a boring evening with some prick singing My Way!] about who had donor cards.I have and quite a few others but about 10 said not.They said there was,in this country,groups who do not allow their body parts to be removed due to religion but will happily accept them!
    I never heard about this except from those loonies who let their kids die for the sake of a transfusion.
    Are they right?it won't stop me from donating but some said that the law states you can stipulate an ethnic group or religious group to donate.
    I don't believe it but as said I am a donor.Point is no-one knew for certain.,does anyone?
  2. As far as i am aware there is no LAW that allows you to stipulate what race etc can be a recipient for your donated organs.However it can be made a proviso of the donation that your bodily bits go to a certain section of society.Also be aware that if you give a "living Transplant" you may face problems with any life Insurance policies you currently have.
  3. thanks,I'll sound a right clever git when I inform my bar propping drinking mates.
    When I reach that great barracks in the sky they can have what they want,except,I want my meat and two veg kept intact.You never know and I don't want to come back as a eunuch!
  4. Time, realistically, we introduced a law which stipuates we all donate in death unless you opt out ... pretty certain that someone raised this issue recently. Bloody good idea.

5. Deuteronomy 23:1
    He that is injured in the stones (nuts )or has had his privy member cut off, shall not enter into the congrigation of the Lord.(Enter the Kingdom of Heaven). So hang on to them :thumright:
  6. Perhaps a bit off topic, but I heard a story on Radio4 earlier today about a Scottish woman, whose son was killed in a car bombing in Israel where he had been working during a break from uni. She was at first horrified to be told that one of his kidneys would be given to a Palestinian, but a year after his death, she was invited to the home of the recipient, to find a thriving eight year old girl, who had previously been at death's door.
    That is a very brief summary, of what was a really moving story.

7. Makes you think just how much good could be done.

8. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I don't think you can lay down where yer bit go, pot luck really as to who gets them
  9. I also heard that story. I must admit that it brought a tear to the eye. It's a pity that stories like that aren't given more publicity to counterbalance the usual gloom and doom we hear and read about.
  10. Bad news sells papers. The human inhabitants of planet earth have a weird fascination with bad news etc. Probably thank feck that aint me.

No problem with organ donation long as my liver or kidneys do not go to some piss head who goes to the pub after discharge from the OZ.
  11. Some medical conditions also prevent you from donating......

Motorcyclists are loved by the medical profession, my dr called me a mobile organ donor when i told him i had bought a bike.....

Religious / medical reasons are the only ones I know off for NOT donating organs or accepting them
  12. I find that hard to believe. There are some traditions which disagree with it, but that tends to be both directions; Jehovas Witnesses, at least one Buddhist tradition recommends against etc.

These are for different reasons, but each understandable in their own way.

Again, how about understanding why someone might make that choice?

Not something I've ever seen, there are some constraints around some types of donation for compatibility reasons. Bone marrow is one where there are big genetic issues, with a significant shortage of young black male donors.

Personally I'm a blood and bone marrow donor, and they can take what they like from my carcass. After I'm dead I won't be using it, so someone else might as well get the benefit.
  13. Also recent exposure to Malaria is an issue, probably relevant for many currently serving.