Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Organ donor question

seafarer1939

War Hero
Someone did a survey in the boozer lasty night[well it was a boring evening with some prick singing My Way!] about who had donor cards.I have and quite a few others but about 10 said not.They said there was,in this country,groups who do not allow their body parts to be removed due to religion but will happily accept them!
I never heard about this except from those loonies who let their kids die for the sake of a transfusion.
Are they right?it won't stop me from donating but some said that the law states you can stipulate an ethnic group or religious group to donate.
I don't believe it but as said I am a donor.Point is no-one knew for certain.,does anyone?

andym

War Hero
As far as i am aware there is no LAW that allows you to stipulate what race etc can be a recipient for your donated organs.However it can be made a proviso of the donation that your bodily bits go to a certain section of society.Also be aware that if you give a "living Transplant" you may face problems with any life Insurance policies you currently have.

seafarer1939

War Hero
thanks,I'll sound a right clever git when I inform my bar propping drinking mates.
When I reach that great barracks in the sky they can have what they want,except,I want my meat and two veg kept intact.You never know and I don't want to come back as a eunuch!
"EUNUCHS OF THE WORLD UNITE,YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE" Cheers

SILVER_FOX

War Hero
Time, realistically, we introduced a law which stipuates we all donate in death unless you opt out ... pretty certain that someone raised this issue recently. Bloody good idea.

SF

Topstop

War Hero
seafarer1939 said:
thanks,I'll sound a right clever git when I inform my bar propping drinking mates.
When I reach that great barracks in the sky they can have what they want,except,I want my meat and two veg kept intact.You never know and I don't want to come back as a eunuch!
"EUNUCHS OF THE WORLD UNITE,YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE" Cheers

Deuteronomy 23:1
He that is injured in the stones (nuts )or has had his privy member cut off, shall not enter into the congrigation of the Lord.(Enter the Kingdom of Heaven). So hang on to them :thumright:

2badge_mango

War Hero
Perhaps a bit off topic, but I heard a story on Radio4 earlier today about a Scottish woman, whose son was killed in a car bombing in Israel where he had been working during a break from uni. She was at first horrified to be told that one of his kidneys would be given to a Palestinian, but a year after his death, she was invited to the home of the recipient, to find a thriving eight year old girl, who had previously been at death's door.
That is a very brief summary, of what was a really moving story.

2BM

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
I don't think you can lay down where yer bit go, pot luck really as to who gets them

boxer

Midshipman
2badge_mango said:
Perhaps a bit off topic, but I heard a story on Radio4 earlier today about a Scottish woman, whose son was killed in a car bombing in Israel where he had been working during a break from uni. She was at first horrified to be told that one of his kidneys would be given to a Palestinian, but a year after his death, she was invited to the home of the recipient, to find a thriving eight year old girl, who had previously been at death's door.

2BM

I also heard that story. I must admit that it brought a tear to the eye. It's a pity that stories like that aren't given more publicity to counterbalance the usual gloom and doom we hear and read about.

boxer said:
2badge_mango said:

2BM

I also heard that story. I must admit that it brought a tear to the eye. It's a pity that stories like that aren't given more publicity to counterbalance the usual gloom and doom we hear and read about.

Bad news sells papers. The human inhabitants of planet earth have a weird fascination with bad news etc. Probably thank feck that aint me.

No problem with organ donation long as my liver or kidneys do not go to some piss head who goes to the pub after discharge from the OZ.

ukdaytona

War Hero
Some medical conditions also prevent you from donating......

Motorcyclists are loved by the medical profession, my dr called me a mobile organ donor when i told him i had bought a bike.....

Religious / medical reasons are the only ones I know off for NOT donating organs or accepting them

War Hero
seafarer1939 said:
They said there was,in this country,groups who do not allow their body parts to be removed due to religion but will happily accept them!

I find that hard to believe. There are some traditions which disagree with it, but that tends to be both directions; Jehovas Witnesses, at least one Buddhist tradition recommends against etc.

These are for different reasons, but each understandable in their own way.

I never heard about this except from those loonies who let their kids die for the sake of a transfusion.

Again, how about understanding why someone might make that choice?

Are they right?it won't stop me from donating but some said that the law states you can stipulate an ethnic group or religious group to donate.

Not something I've ever seen, there are some constraints around some types of donation for compatibility reasons. Bone marrow is one where there are big genetic issues, with a significant shortage of young black male donors.

Personally I'm a blood and bone marrow donor, and they can take what they like from my carcass. After I'm dead I won't be using it, so someone else might as well get the benefit.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Blood/Bone/Organ Donor's Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
MoD_RSS News story: Opt-out organ donation: Max and Keira's Bill passed into law MoD News 0
sgtpepperband Code Organ The Internet - Best and Worst 3
Seaweed Organ (Field), Portable, Small The Corps 6
slim Advertising for Organ donors. Diamond Lil's 15
MoD_RSS International donor conference for urgent humanitarian support for Rohingya refugees MoD News 0
soleil The Appeal To Find A Stem Cell Donor For Margot Current Affairs 8
E kidney donor Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
T Psychometric test simple question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
D Medals Question Blogs 4
A Question for the Naval Engineers Submariners 2
D Sorry for an eyesight question Joining the Royal Navy 31
P Dumb Question too scared to ask the CPO Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 15
H Engineering Officer question RFA 6
P Question for HM officers and those with an in-service degree Joining the Royal Navy 3
U Quick question about paying off foreign RFA 2
MoD_RSS Parliament approves veterans question in next Census MoD News 0
F Question about NSRT Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
H Chef question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
L Medical question regarding an allergic reaction (sorry) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
L Just a question regarding the initial officer interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
MoD_RSS Public given power to question ‘lenient’ prison sentences MoD News 0
J pre-joining question regarding medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MoD_RSS Turkey military action in Syria: Urgent Question opening statement MoD News 0
S Comms apprentice training question RFA 1
MoD_RSS UN Human Rights Council 42 - General Comment on the Question of the Death Penalty MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Your chance to question Ministry of Defence medals and records experts at Rootstech London 2019 MoD News 0
A Question regarding pre-joining medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
R Question about Qualifications from Ireland Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
MoD_RSS Ask a silly question… MoD News 0
R Bit of an unusual question The Fleet 27
R Royal Marines BMI/weight question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
Kiwi33 Re Join question. Failed Diver trying something different. Joining the Royal Navy 2
Max9393 Tattoo question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
SnowGoose Intake question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
P Question: CD/ESD/UD/LD/TD in RNVR service Nos. History 4
LeedsBornLeedsBred Question regarding 4K squad run at PRNC. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
U Question about paperwork to bring to Raleigh RFA 5
Maxpowers FAC and Shotgun cert holder question. Joining the Royal Navy 3
MoD_RSS News story: Your chance to question Ministry of Defence medals and records experts at Family History Shows MoD News 0
S Question about medical test for navy rating recruits Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
W RFA medical question RFA 2
T Intriguing Forces Question Diamond Lil's 18
Q Medical Record Question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
U Interview soon, question about facial hair RFA 9
NotNickCarter Edinburgh Tattoo (2018) a question Current Affairs 3
Edward-t Question about eye surgery Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
S Question to any current/ex divers - Best ways to equalise? Joining the Royal Navy 4
S Question about allowances The Gash Barge 9
J GS or Boats. Newbie question from an older guy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17